Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

This is the issue.

There is alot of slop up and down movement in the coupling and it's mounting height even when level is low.

If it glue it in the up position it won't extend on curves and retract on a straight. I have 2 68s like this, 15 and 19.

20190618_180525.jpg

On 04/04/2019 at 09:37, Sir TophamHatt said:

Can anyone tell me what Kadee they have used?

Mine is quite a way off! 

IMG_20190404_163142.jpg

I know this is a bit late but If this is the N Gauge version then it isn't a Kadee. It's a Dapol Easishunt coupling.

Regards,

Jhn

you can easily fix this by gluing the airdam into position and using this to support the coupling (no glue between the airdam and coupling so that the coupling can still move side to side.  You may need to add a spacer to properly support.  Not a perfect fix but does improve massively.  Don't cut the bottom off the loop - all the couplings need to be the same height to work properly whether TLs or KDs.

M

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 19:33, Matt said:

you can easily fix this by gluing the airdam into position and using this to support the coupling (no glue between the airdam and coupling so that the coupling can still move side to side.  You may need to add a spacer to properly support.  Not a perfect fix but does improve massively.  Don't cut the bottom off the loop - all the couplings need to be the same height to work properly whether TLs or KDs.

M

Do you have photos pointing out these parts?

• RMweb Premium
On 18/06/2019 at 18:17, Fitzer said:

This is the issue.

There is alot of slop up and down movement in the coupling and it's mounting height even when level is low.

If it glue it in the up position it won't extend on curves and retract on a straight. I have 2 68s like this, 15 and 19.

20190618_180525.jpg

Sorry, just seen this comment but this reply may help. 

I have fitted all of my 68s with Kadee 20 couplings. These are the first items of stock where I have changed the couplings from the standard NEM couplings. I have found several positives from swopping them to Kadee 20s. They are good for running more than one 68 together, because the locos actually stay coupled together on the curves. They are also good for staying coupled to wagons and coaches as long as they are fitted with the same Kadee 20 coupling. They are also ideal because they don't have the hooks trailing downwards towards the rails which is good if the loco has drooping couplings alike what some 68s do. This prevents derailments etc. I bought the Kadee 20s from Hattons. They are £5 for a pack of four which will enable you to fit two locos with them at both ends. A bit pricey but well worth the money. I can highly recommend them. 

Hope this helps. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Oh dear, just looked at this thread...… and ended up ordering the Rails plain blue Cl.68 bundle mentioned a couple of days ago...… and then put a deposit on the YiWu Accurascale  DB-S Cl.92.

Keith

Very nice. I was tempted with the 68 and IOA pack from Rails but I already have plenty of the IOAs so I really don't need four more. There are a few DRS models that I haven't yet bought that I have my eye on. They are: 57302, 68001, 68003 & 68026. I can't afford them all though so I need to decide on one or two to buy. As the Basic DRS livery on 026 is now obsolete I may leave that one. Tempted to go for another Compass Swoosh 68 and the Compass 57. 

The addition of DB 92015 is a nice addition for those who want DB Red 92s as Accurascale have announced 92009 & 92042 as part of their standard range, so potentially their are three to buy now from Accurascale. 

• RMweb Premium

I would like to see an OO version of the TPE 68, I am assuming that Dapol only do the N gauge version. With the Accurascale TPE coach and DVT set they would make a fine site.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, 7013 said:

I would like to see an OO version of the TPE 68, I am assuming that Dapol only do the N gauge version. With the Accurascale TPE coach and DVT set they would make a fine site.

The OO version in TPE was released earlier this year. Got mine and just awaiting the coaches.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=407

(Other retailers are available)

Edited by Scottish-Exile
with link added
  • Thanks 1

I believe that the TPE 68's in both scales sold pretty quickly, especially after the Accurascale/Revolution announcement of MK5a carriages.

Now it's fingers crossed that Dapol do another run of TPE livereied ones with different names/numbers.

Regards,

John P

9 hours ago, jpendle said:

I believe that the TPE 68's in both scales sold pretty quickly, especially after the Accurascale/Revolution announcement of MK5a carriages.

Now it's fingers crossed that Dapol do another run of TPE livereied ones with different names/numbers.

Regards,

John P

I’m looking for a OO one too I did have a thread on here, you see them on Ebay now and then and they command serious money, the Dapol shop “say” that still have sound ones available at £250 

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, TTDB said:

I’m looking for a OO one too I did have a thread on here, you see them on Ebay now and then and they command serious money, the Dapol shop “say” that still have sound ones available at £250 

Sold out at Dapol, average on ebay seems to be £140, still less than rrp.

Edited by adb968008

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

How come Hattons seem to get more and more stock of DRS and Chiltern 68's but Dapol cant seem to grasp the requirement for more TPE liveried models? Shops seem to have shelves full of DRS and Chiltern liveries, so why more??

Come on Dapol, there is an obvious market for more TPE examples!!

Edited by ba14eagle
missed word
  • Agree 1

I think apart from the DRS ones - sponsored by DRS I believe - they must have prepared relatively equal amounts of each livery .... then .... Accurascale announced the TPE Mk.5 coaches ...

That's when things went pear shaped - hugely disproportionate number wanting TPE liveried 68's ... after the stable door had closed.

Just keep your eyes peeled on Ebay.

One pops up from time-to-time, but normally at an inflated price.

I was lucky and got mine 'new, used' on Ebay from Rails at a fair price a few months ago.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I think apart from the DRS ones - sponsored by DRS I believe - they must have prepared relatively equal amounts of each livery .... then .... Accurscale announced the TPE Mk.5 coaches ...

That's when things went pear shaped - hugely disproportionate number wanting TPE liveried 68's ... after the stable door had closed.

Just keep your eyes peeled on Ebay.

One pops up from time-to-time, but normally at an inflated price.

I was lucky and got mine 'new, used' on Ebay from Rails at a fair price a few months ago.

Al.

Not aware of any sponsorship other than 68001 which was a DRS limited edition. Other than that I think it was a straight licensing arrangement. 

Riy

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, ba14eagle said:

How come Hattons seem to get more and more stock of DRS and Chiltern 68's but Dapol cant seem to grasp the requirement for more TPE liveried models? Shops seem to have shelves full of DRS and Chiltern liveries, so why more??

Come on Dapol, there is an obvious market for more TPE examples!!

The class 68 has been done a few times now, the last occasion included the TPE.

All other versions had at least some suitable stock to pull. It is reasonable to assume there might not be huge demand for a loco which at that time had seen limited use, and that later would not have stock to pull. Since then someone else announced mk5’s and subsequently raised demand.

The issue might be, that after a number of runs of class 68’s future runs will inevitably be smaller, and the costs if doing a TPE alone may not be sufficient. 

Maybe we need a new livery to appear on a 68, to get enough demand for a couple new numbers to be run ?, but as noted, as long as others remain unsold on shelves, i guess chances of more following recede into the distance for now.

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I’d rather like something suitable to keep my two Chiltern 68s apart. (Granted that one of them would be pushing. :D)

They don't always need to push.............

68010GB_Brock_280915

• Like 2