Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Gold

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Eek!

Just got the email from Hattons. I really wanted Brutus. But I'll get one of these and possibly rename/number. I don't think there is any other differences.

I don't normally go for up to date modern, but seeing Brutus at the buffers at Lime Street was impressive.

Jason

Ditto....saw it yesterday

P1000361L.JPG

P1000364L.JPG

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Dapol has already commented on the blue shade on Facebook. Like it or lump it, it’s staying the same!

Well , that’s 2 sales lost then :(  Shame as the names on those two are fantastic !!  (Achilles once being a beast of a class 50 , and Destroyer , well , who wouldn’t want a loco called that !)

Jon

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Eek!

Just got the email from Hattons. I really wanted Brutus. But I'll get one of these and possibly rename/number. I don't think there is any other differences.

I don't normally go for up to date modern, but seeing Brutus at the buffers at Lime Street was impressive.

Jason

There is at least one detail difference between Destroyer and Brutus - the builder plate. The last few 68's were built after Stadler took over Vossloh so they have Stadler plates instead of Vossloh ones. Achilles should be a straight renumber/rename to Brutus though.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, classy52 said:

Was there than issue with Dapol's TPE 68 colours?...didn't realise there was.

The light blue is a long way, it's slightly darker, glossy and metallic, not the Matt sky blue Dapol used

Jo

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Are these locomotives wrapped or painted - in full-scale?

If painted, I wouldn't both about the precise shade of blue, it'll discolour slightly over a few years' use anyway.

I don't see it being a model purchase decider - the model's superb!!

Al.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Are these locomotives wrapped or painted - in full-scale?

If painted, I wouldn't both about the precise shade of blue, it'll discolour slightly over a few years' use anyway.

I don't see it being a model purchase decider - the model's superb!!

Al.

The prototypes are vinyl.

(And it's not always in the same place.....)

• Agree 1

I'm looking at my Brutus right now, and it looks pretty 'vibrant' to me in today's subdued daylight.

Too shiny and the paint Police would be out again.

Too metallic and the paint Police would be out.

OK, it's not a precise match for a brand new locomotive ... but even 2 years down the line, never mind the 15-25 years normally anticipated, I don't see an issue.

That's my opinion anyway.

You're perfectly entitled to yours of course.

Al.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I suppose even the UV resistance in the dyes will have a limited duration once they start pounding the rails ...

Again, I don't see a slight shade of colour as a game changer, particularly if it is slightly lighter than 'as brand new'.

On its own, not necessarily a big deal.

On the other hand depending on how the Mk5s get done it could be very noticeable when next to rolling stock that has the correct colours.

Time will tell.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Most excited about the announcement of 68023 & 68032 in TPE livery. 

Such a coincidence that it was only the other day that I was reassuring people that more OO 68s would be produced in this livery and then this announcement appears. Haha and before anyone says I didn't actually know about this announcement. 

I am pleased for others who missed out on 68019, that they can now buy one or two models in TPE livery. I will probably buy 68023 and possibly 68032 but then again do I need three TPE 68s if I only have one MK5 set. Dapol and other manufacturers are so good at releasing multiple numbers in the same livery which always gets me spending more money haha. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

From certain angles, the 68 and Mk5 look to have different shades of blue............

Difficult to get a real comparison as the coach and loco blues are not adjacent.

Pics from flickr.

Backlit Black Douglas

Crossing The Ouse

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I often wonder what such a powerful locomotive is doing with just 5 carriages anyway - 20 years ago that was the power needed to take 12 coaches to 100 mph anyway!!

Even if each coach is 8-10 tons heavier ....

Then watching videos you see the speed it accelerates out of stations .... !!

Al.

3 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Most excited about the announcement of 68023 & 68032 in TPE livery. 

Such a coincidence that it was only the other day that I was reassuring people that more OO 68s would be produced in this livery and then this announcement appears. Haha and before anyone says I didn't actually know about this announcement. 

I am pleased for others who missed out on 68019, that they can now buy one or two models in TPE livery. I will probably buy 68023 and possibly 68032 but then again do I need three TPE 68s if I only have one MK5 set. Dapol and other manufacturers are so good at releasing multiple numbers in the same livery which always gets me spending more money haha. 

You’re probably aware that Accurascale is doing two differently numbered trains, so you might “need” at least two TPE 68s. Sorry if I’m getting you to spend more money!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

You’re probably aware that Accurascale is doing two differently numbered trains, so you might “need” at least two TPE 68s. Sorry if I’m getting you to spend more money!

Haha you're so right, I am aware of the two MK5 TPE sets that Accurascale are offering. I just keep trying to tell myself: you don't need two of the same thing for £220 per set, you don't need two of the same thing for £220 per set...

Then Dapol do this to me. I was hoping that for my personal sake and my bank account that Dapol would announce more TPE 68s after Q2 2020 when the MK5s by Accurascale have arrived and no doubt sold out extremely quickly. But no instead they announce two more numbers now, when I only planned to get one MK5 set for 68019 to push/pull. Now I have the tempting option for another 68 or two and the second MK5 set. 

I think it's safe to say that my card and bank account will be very much broken by the end of 2020. 

Bachmann, Hornby, Dapol , Accurascale & Realtrack are costing me a fortune next year. Most of the items that I have waited years for are all arriving within the same year...brilliant haha. 

11 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Haha you're so right, I am aware of the two MK5 TPE sets that Accurascale are offering. I just keep trying to tell myself: you don't need two of the same thing for £220 per set, you don't need two of the same thing for £220 per set...

Then Dapol do this to me. I was hoping that for my personal sake and my bank account that Dapol would announce more TPE 68s after Q2 2020 when the MK5s by Accurascale have arrived and no doubt sold out extremely quickly. But no instead they announce two more numbers now, when I only planned to get one MK5 set for 68019 to push/pull. Now I have the tempting option for another 68 or two and the second MK5 set. 

I think it's safe to say that my card and bank account will be very much broken by the end of 2020. 

Bachmann, Hornby, Dapol , Accurascale & Realtrack are costing me a fortune next year. Most of the items that I have waited years for are all arriving within the same year...brilliant haha. 

Yes, brilliant, sort of. I’m going to stick to one train. After all, someone might get a flash of insight and produce something completely different in a TPE livery. All the same, imagine two TPE 68s crossing with their trains; coaches lit and engines roaring! Good luck!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Just to be clear here for everyone who may not be paying full attention to what Dapol posted, this is not an announcement that these models will be made.

Dapol have opened an order book (open until the end of January) to see if there is sufficient demand to do a run of the 68 in the TPE livery offering 2 numbers.

If Dapol do not get sufficient orders, then they won't be made at this time.

This means you can't just wait for them to arrive in stores, you actually need to tell a retailer you want them.

So anyone who really wants these models should spread the word amongst others who may be interested in the model and don't follow things like Dapol's Facebook page or this forum.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Yes, brilliant, sort of. I’m going to stick to one train. After all, someone might get a flash of insight and produce something completely different in a TPE livery. All the same, imagine two TPE 68s crossing with their trains; coaches lit and engines roaring! Good luck!

I think I will have to stick to one train too even if I buy a second and possibly third TPE 68. As cheap as the MK5s are for a five coach set it's just another expense that if I already have one set I don't really need. I am really hoping so, the Class 397 & Class 802 in TPE livery would look fantastic. You're right that would be very impressive having two TPE Class 68 push/pull sets passing each other. Good luck to you too. One thing is for sure Dapol and Accurascale will produce fantastic models to combine to make the full train. 

2 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Did somebody mention Hornby and 802 ...................

Al.

I really hope so. I think that's my favourite livery on the Class 800/801/802. 

54 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Just to be clear here for everyone who may not be paying full attention to what Dapol posted, this is not an announcement that these models will be made.

Dapol have opened an order book (open until the end of January) to see if there is sufficient demand to do a run of the 68 in the TPE livery offering 2 numbers.

If Dapol do not get sufficient orders, then they won't be made at this time.

This means you can't just wait for them to arrive in stores, you actually need to tell a retailer you want them.

So anyone who really wants these models should spread the word amongst others who may be interested in the model and don't follow things like Dapol's Facebook page or this forum.

Thank you very much for mentioning this and clarifying the situation. 

I should have put this in the comment but I assumed that everyone would have seen the post by Dapol and now some retailers taking expressions of interests/pre-orders for 68023 & 68032. 

But yes you can now show an expression of interest or pre-order without making any payment to Hattons, Rails and Colletts Models so far I have seen. Do this by 31/01/20 and hopefully Dapol will evaluate the situation and see the potential for these two models. Yes another good point, tell as many people as what you know to get the word out and hopefully many will pre-order either one or the other or some maybe both. 

45 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I should have put this in the comment but I assumed that everyone would have seen the post by Dapol and now some retailers taking expressions of interests/pre-orders for 68023 & 68032.

Sadly long experience online has demonstrated that many people rarely go back a page or more to read the initial announcement, and even those that do often don't read what is posted carefully - a danger in this case given it is a rare/unique testing to see if there is sufficient demand and not a normal announcement.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mdvle said:

Sadly long experience online has demonstrated that many people rarely go back a page or more to read the initial announcement, and even those that do often don't read what is posted carefully - a danger in this case given it is a rare/unique testing to see if there is sufficient demand and not a normal announcement.

I didn't even think of that and it was a really good idea for you to clarify and post on this page. 

Regarding the TPE 68s I think I will place an expression of interest at Rails Of Sheffield for 68023 and maybe 68032 too at some point. 

I may at some stage also create a separate thread for the expression of interest of these two models. That way maybe people would have a better chance of seeing it via the 'view new content' button to the top right of the forum pages if they were to click on it. Or if they click on the Dapol link on the manufacturers section it would also display a new thread their too. 

What do you think?

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Not a new thread please, that just ends up confusing with information spread between the two. 

Roy

Hi Roy, 

Thanks for letting me know. I understand your point and I won't set up another thread and we will just keep the info on here. 

Thank you. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:12, Legend said:

They are brilliant models although I do have issues with the couplers not returning to straight after curves and derailing the following wagon or coach.  Not really sure how to correct that.

Same here.

There was some talk about it a few pages back but I can't really remember the solution, or even if there was one.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119978-dapols-new-class-68-locomotives/page/81/