Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

So had a look at the 68 yesterday. Found what looked like a melted piece of plastic lodged in one of the flywheels which fell out when nudged with a small screwdriver. Unfortunately it didn't make a difference to the running though.  Cant imagine for one minuet that this had anything to do with Flywheel Balancing as it just crumble to pieces. 

Removed the bogie frames  Removed the wheel s and inspected the sprockets. Thought I'd run the loco so I could watch the sprockets rotating to make sure there was no debris or anything in there.  What I found was both the outer Sprockets which drive the outer wheelsets are slightly oval.  As I cant post Videos on here I have no way of showing .  Annoyingly the Dapol Warranty is only for 12 months with an option to extend for a further 12 months if Serviced by DCC Supplies Within  the first 12 months! . They just directed me to their website for spares for which there are no sprockets.  Just complete bogies for £40 and When I only paid £79 for the Loco when it was on offer, its really not worth the hassle. Think I may just have to demotor and use for double headers.

Not much more I can do with this now.

Cheers Trailrage

68 Flywheel 1.JPG

68 Flywheel 2.JPG

68 Flywheel 3.JPG

68 Flywheel 4.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

It's a shame that the sprockets are not sold separately and that the bogies are £40. As you say, you didn't pay much for the loco in the first place, so £40 is quite expensive with that mind, I suppose it depends as to if you want the loco to be potentially be a runner again, or if you aren't fussed about paying the £40 for the bogies then you could just demotor it, and it would look fantastic for a double headed train or consist. 

Sorry you haven't managed to fix it. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Wont it  run with just 1 shaft on the other bogie ?

i assume the issue is the shaft falling out ?

random suggestion but, measure the diameter of the retainer, and get a washer from B&Q for the same size,

put the washer over the shaft, put the shaft back in and a dab of glue on the washer and press to the retainer and let set...

could this work ?

Edited by adb968008

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Any updates available as to when the new Transpennine run will be available?  Thanks for any info in advance. 

I think Dapol mentioned a few weeks ago imminent stuff due in the next couple of months so I expect given their absence that they are into next year now. Obviously this is just speculation but I think it is speculation with some logic behind it.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

There is always a "rush" to get stuff out around now.

Something to do with a big event towards the end of December has an influence on that.

Also. CNY in late Jan, that virtually halts all production for up to four weeks

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, chris37422 said:

They’re on the new arrivals page. Title says ‘Sold out on pre-order’ but lists more than 10 in stock

Hattons don't tend to sell all their allocation as pre orders IIRC, so the listing will say sold out but in reality they have them

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I had a real fight with myself not to pre-order one of these as they are just not my era. Now I have a feeling of déjà vu  :(

I assume the light blue is the same colour as the first run?

Roy

Looking at the pics on the Hattons site just, if they are the production models, the blue appears the same as last time.

Can’t quite understand that.

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I assume the light blue is the same colour as the first run?

It looks the same, the thing with that blue is the angle and lighting makes such a difference to it, far more than most other colours on the network. I expect doing it properly would be very difficult/impossible to recreate on the model. It could however be better than it is I think.

2 minutes ago, chris37422 said:

Can’t quite understand that.

The thing is, what's more important? It matching the ones they have already done or making it look slightly better? I expect anybody with 019 wouldn't want these a different colour, and whilst it's not spot on (and I don't think it can be actually spot on either as per the above) I think most won't be put off by it.

30 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

It looks the same, the thing with that blue is the angle and lighting makes such a difference to it, far more than most other colours on the network. I expect doing it properly would be very difficult/impossible to recreate on the model. It could however be better than it is I think.

The thing is, what's more important? It matching the ones they have already done or making it look slightly better? I expect anybody with 019 wouldn't want these a different colour, and whilst it's not spot on (and I don't think it can be actually spot on either as per the above) I think most won't be put off by it.

My concern would be more about the blue matching the coaching stock when it’s released rather than the original locomotive.  Each to their own, but that’s what I would class as ‘important’ to me.

Needless to say they still look good and wont have any issues selling! Bu today’s standards, that’s a lot of loco for £136!

Edited by chris37422
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

The Hattons site says the image is of the previous model

Sorry I meant the link in their news section, this morning it appears to have updated pics which I was referring to. HTH

EDIT: Just looked again and the bit that was on the news section 30/40 mins ago seems to have gone. Feel like I am going mad ha

Enjoy your models!

Edited by chris37422

15 minutes ago, chris37422 said:

Each to their own, but that’s what I would class as ‘important’ to me.

Likewise to me, I don't have 019. But I won't not buy them, which is maybe making me a sucker for letting Dapol get away with mistakes but it's better than not having them, and the coaches aren't a lot of use without the locos.

Technically one could get 2 models of 034 and renumber one to 033 and run two sets like that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Likewise to me, I don't have 019. But I won't not buy them, which is maybe making me a sucker for letting Dapol get away with mistakes but it's better than not having them, and the coaches aren't a lot of use without the locos.

Technically one could get 2 models of 034 and renumber one to 033 and run two sets like that.

I’ve got both on the way to me anyway, blue issue aside. Makes me a sucker too! Haha

Enjoy them!

Chris

• Funny 1