Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Any ideas where these are still available? A mate has potentially been screwed over by a card expiry by Hattons. Most sites are either OOS or pre order which doesn't say much. I expect he will have to get on the phone.

Kernow and Trains4U mentioned above

If not try Arcadia 

• Friendly/supportive 1

45 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Any ideas where these are still available? A mate has potentially been screwed over by a card expiry by Hattons. Most sites are either OOS or pre order which doesn't say much. I expect he will have to get on the phone.

We currently have only 8 of each remaining in stock.    They are now at £159.95
I still haven't been able to get them online as yet, but we can take orders by phone.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I think everywhere that have had them so far must be about out.

Which seems peculiar, as this one was made to order... there was an EOI out there to gauge demand. Unless of course, the assumption is most people would buy one or the other, but in fact bought both.

I know I now have 3 TPEs, just like the real thing, waiting for stock, I could live with 2, but I wanted 3, just because I can.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, TomScrut said:

So mine have turned up and....

20210122_153544.jpg.601fe620417cf6ea242c1b47554a6c55.jpg

I have asked what my options are, given they are in short supply I expect returning for replacement won't be an option. I am hoping Dapol have some spare bodies!

Wont that remove with turps or just a gentle rub with a cocktail stick ?

- I know you shouldn't have to, it might be ok.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Wont that remove with turps or just a gentle rub with a cocktail stick ?

- I know you shouldn't have to, it might be ok.

Yes well I wasn't wanting to have to do that (because I was worried I'd screw it up) but I had a go. The paint on the main body came off fine, the lower sill it took the dark grey with it so I have a slim silver line now down there. I aren't sure what colour that is but it's nearly the same as the dark IC grey so I think I'll just put a bit of that on to take the eye off it. It's slim enough that a not perfect match won't be noticeable unless you specifically look. So I won't be sending it back now anyway but I'll be happy with it once I have touched it up. Just annoying I have to do it.

29 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Which seems peculiar, as this one was made to order... there was an EOI out there to gauge demand. Unless of course, the assumption is most people would buy one or the other, but in fact bought both.

I also expect that the interest increased as the AS project progressed. Wouldn't surprise me if there was a scramble for them in the last day or two with the EP shown.

I have these two, but would have an 019 if it came available at the right money, like you, just because. I have 2 coach rakes on order and already 3 68s I can legitimately operate them with so I don't "need" another.

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I know I now have 3 TPEs, just like the real thing, waiting for stock, I could live with 2, but I wanted 3, just because I can.

The EOI may be exactly why they are selling out. Retailers may have bought what was expressed, plus just a very few. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Ive got to admit at 3 I think i’ll be full.

ive got one mk5 set at Accurascale on order, but I will certainly be adding another set to what seems like a monthly bill with Accurascale... Having these pass each other is going to be quite something.

I did originally have two Brutus’s (is plural Bruti, Brutes or Brutuus ?) but once prices rose, I got to admit cashing in one of them was more attractive than renumbering.

I wouldnt mind doing one as Black Douglas.. as I saw it at York in October 2019.

515DC493-2997-4C3E-931B-57B3005C9C55.jpeg.584b0581dbdb75671282b69d34cf6ad8.jpeg

Courageous was parked up behind it and Enterprise passed in service.. so thats what i’d look to recreate, I think I saw 6 x TPE 68’s that day in total.

I’ll go through some older videos and put some class 68 material together.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Ive got to admit at 3 I think i’ll be full.

ive got one mk5 set at Accurascale on order, but I will certainly be adding another set to what seems like a monthly bill with Accurascale... Having these pass each other is going to be quite something.

I did originally have two Brutus’s (is plural Bruti, Brutes or Brutuus ?) but once prices rose, I got to admit cashing in one of them was more attractive than renumbering.

I wouldnt mind doing one as Black Douglas.. as I saw it at York in October 2019.

515DC493-2997-4C3E-931B-57B3005C9C55.jpeg.584b0581dbdb75671282b69d34cf6ad8.jpeg

Courageous was parked up behind it and Enterprise passed in service.. so thats what i’d look to recreate, I think I saw 6 x TPE 68’s that day in total.

I’ll go through some older videos and put some class 68 material together.

Interesting that in that photo the light blue looks much closer to that in the photos of the models posted above by chris37422.

Oh, and it is Bruti :D

Roy

12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Rails, Kernow, Hattons showing no stock.

surely its not sold out that quick ?

I was thinking I’ll get one later when I finish work yesterday as they had 10+ in stock at kernow, logged on last night to see they’d all gone! Couldn’t believe it. 

1 hour ago, Northmoor MPD said:

Olivias trains have 10+ of each apparently, £155 & £160

Given they are dearer than everyone else they'll probably sell out last!

4 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Interesting that in that photo the light blue looks much closer to that in the photos of the models posted above by chris37422.

Yes I thought the same. I think it's that the paint looks that baby blue sort of colour when theres not much light and then becomes the bright vibrant blue when light falls on it. But most photos are taken in good light (given that's what the photographers aim for) and that if Dapol did a colour sample on a real loco the pearlescence wouldn't be picked up well I think.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Rails, Kernow, Hattons showing no stock.

surely its not sold out that quick ?

Hattons has sold out on pre-order according to my pre-order page.

5 minutes ago, Welly said:

Hattons has sold out on pre-order according to my pre-order page.

Hattons are definitely out, because my mate didn't update his card details (having pre ordered over a year ago) they just moved it onto the next person rather than ringing him up to get his new details so had to look elsewhere (as above) and when I phoned about my issue above they also told me the only ones they still had in their possession were for pre orders.

I will certainly thing twice about pre ordering from them in the future if they can't even be bothered to make a phone call if a payment declines.

• Informative/Useful 1

I’ve got a question to the members that have received their new TPE 68s from Hattons if that’s ok? Was it just the DCC ‘ready’ models that have been delivered and posted or were the DCC ‘fitted’ delivered and posted too? I’ve one of the latter on pre-order but so far I’ve heard nothing from Hattons. I have emailed them to seek clarification but so far I have not had a reply.