Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I totally agree as it must be a double edged sword getting the right number but they possibly knew that demand will outstrip supply.  The other side of the coin would be that if people can’t get a Class 68, they possibly would reconsider getting a Mk5 set which could possibly affect Accurascale’s sales.

True, but how many will leave buying a mk5 set until the last minute, then jump in just before it sells out.

I only ordered 1 Mk5 set as I only had 1 68019, but figured prices were too high for another TP 68.

Oppourtunity lucked out to me now having 3, so another mk5 set I will order.

i’m guessing Dapol will sell a few more 68’s than Accurascale will TP mk5’s, having a spare loco for stock makes for variety, having stock without a loco...

But i’m guessing a few more mk5’s may sell in the next few weeks now.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Dapol put the onus on the retailers to decide the quantities.

The production run was made to order.

Its difficult, most retailers knew they would sell well and ordered in reasonable depth,

but there aren’t many retailers who can take the risk of making a massive order that might not sell quickly enough to cover the bill.

on one hand, I wish i’d doubled my order, but on the other, if I had done that, and they hadn’t sold out, I’d be worrying about my ability to pay the bill (the order was placed pre-covid obviously).

as it is, they’ve been a very welcome boost to business.

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Many thanks for the links, I managed to purchase the last one of Achilles earlier this morning.

I was caught napping on these, I hadn’t realised they were released, until I saw this thread reporting that they are virtually sold out already. Part of my plan to go with an Accurascale Mk5 set, so very grateful to have found one.

There seem to be plenty of other TPE Class 68s that Dapol could produce, hopefully the fast sell out will give them confidence for another batch.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, AshleyH said:

There seem to be plenty of other TPE Class 68s that Dapol could produce, hopefully the fast sell out will give them confidence for another batch.

Yes, it's an interesting one as the dynamic with these vs the coaches will be critical. 019 sat on shelves for a while until the coaches were announced, then disappeared overnight more or less so if there are more locos than coaches they might be a hard sell in TPE.

There are already 4 locos Dapol have done that can be used with the coaches, it would be interesting to know how many people have more locos than they intend to have coach sets. I have one more loco than the coach sets I have on order for example and a mate is likewise. The additional loco in both cases being 034.

If I was Dapol next run out I'd be doing 033 for sure. Works with the mk5s but is generic DRS too so taps into both markets like 034 did. Whether we need another DRS liveried one is another matter, I think they have done about 5 already?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Yes, it's an interesting one as the dynamic with these vs the coaches will be critical. 019 sat on shelves for a while until the coaches were announced, then disappeared overnight more or less so if there are more locos than coaches they might be a hard sell in TPE.

There are already 4 locos Dapol have done that can be used with the coaches, it would be interesting to know how many people have more locos than they intend to have coach sets. I have one more loco than the coach sets I have on order for example and a mate is likewise. The additional loco in both cases being 034.

If I was Dapol next run out I'd be doing 033 for sure. Works with the mk5s but is generic DRS too so taps into both markets like 034 did. Whether we need another DRS liveried one is another matter, I think they have done about 5 already?

i agree kinda, you cant say the mk5''s are the only thing these have been on when there are many many photos of them doing freight duties for DRS and as time goes on they will only do more and more none TPE trains. although i do see how the mk5's helped these along

49 minutes ago, lwnameplates said:

i agree kinda, you cant say the mk5''s are the only thing these have been on when there are many many photos of them doing freight duties for DRS and as time goes on they will only do more and more none TPE trains. although i do see how the mk5's helped these along

Yes that's right they have been on some NR engineering trains if not other freight but I think this run wouldn't have happened had it not been for the mk5s and I also don't think 019 would have been so sought after (prior to this batch at least) either.

Likewise it has helped the mk5s though. I had 1 set on order back in 2019 when I had 034 knowing it was a possibility (that became reality in 2020), but then as soon as the new batch were confirmed another set was ordered.

Edited by TomScrut

I wonder how these have sold in terms of actual unit numbers compared with a steam loco.

Because, while some say Steam will always be king, the modern stuff seems to create the most hype and excitement.

Not quite sold on the MK5s as yet but hope they become a great seller for Accura that keeps them interested in modern stuff.  So many modern units I'd look to buy.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Like 2

If anyone is still trying to get hold of these I just snagged a pair from arcadia @£136 each.  They are closed now but you could try calling them tomorrow. They don't have a website you can buy from but don't let that put you off, all you have to do is call and they will take payment over the phone. It takes literally 2 minutes... fast and friendly service and you can review their feedback in the model shop section.

http://www.arcadiarail.co.uk/products/Dapol/?page=1&type=Locomotive&themes=All&orderby=pricedesc

Tel: 01706 882900

Cheers

*gribble*

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I wonder how these have sold in terms of actual unit numbers compared with a steam loco.

Because, while some say Steam will always be king, the modern stuff seems to create the most hype and excitement.

Not quite sold on the MK5s as yet but hope they become a great seller for Accura that keeps them interested in modern stuff.  So many modern units I'd look to buy.

Back in the 1990’s, I was involved in running a shop,  Lima outsold Hornby, Dapol, Replica and Bachmann combined.

We were ordering 30 of everything new Lima made, around 90 -120 locos a month, where as everything else was 15 or less, some 2 or 3... the exception was Hornbys 3 car class 110 and Bachmanns class 46...yes.. they were both modern!

When the Lina 19.99 sale happened, it exploded to 300+ a month, we were getting deliveries twice a week.

The worst selling stuff was plain black big 4 locos... that V2 3650 i’ll never forget, I recall we resorted to painting them in BR Railfreight sectorisation colours for fun.. and they sold.

That said, modern image is a rolling target, its a fashion accessory, as soon as the real thing changed demand fell... bit like DCR 56303 now... that said, putting a 66 roof on it and a respray in GBRF might turn them around in desirability in a few months, at least the chassis will, someone may well do a kit / resin class 69 body.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Of course the easy way to find out if there is demand for TPE #4 is to do another EOI for it.

I am doubtful on demand of a 4th, i know its easy for me to say, looking pretty with 3, but I suspect many like me are too, pretty with 3, so a 4th one would appeal to those who missed out 3 times already, or really do want 4. .. though I did say the same about TP2 and TP3 and i’m amazed at how fast they went.

As side of TPE livery, none of the others are particularly rare, but that said, if a 68 emerged in a new livery and Dapol did it, tagging on another TPE 68 in a small run would be easy enough.

Edited by adb968008

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I am doubtful on demand of a 4th, i know its easy for me to say, looking pretty with 3, but I suspect many like me are too, pretty with 3, so a 4th one would appeal to those who missed out 3 times already, or really do want 4. .. though I did say the same about TP2 and TP3 and i’m amazed at how fast they went.

Yeah I doubt at the moment Dapol are thinking about another run TBH. It will probably be when AS get painted samples or the coaches in stock that the calls for another run will begin again.

But for now, the policy of ordering stuff when it comes up for pre order for fear of missing out seems to be the most effective if you really want it.

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

As side of TPE livery, none of the others are particularly rare

The only livery that hasn't been done (unless it is identical to the economy livery the last ones were delivered in, which the model of 26 features) is how 6 and 7 find themselves now minus the Scotrail. I like that livery and would have had 26 if it was like it for longer in the real world.

If somebody did Chiltern mk3s I wonder what demand for the Chiltern 68s would be like?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

If somebody did Chiltern mk3s I wonder what demand for the Chiltern 68s would be like?

I would imagine it would soak up Dapols class 68 remaining models, not sure it would stoke up demand for new ones as theres quite a lot out there.

if Hornby did a Chiltern mk3 with standard doors it would be popular with 67 owners and 68 owners would rule 1 for it.

TP I think I think creates the added interest due to the new stock.

27 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

if Hornby did a Chiltern mk3 with standard doors it would be popular with 67 owners and 68 owners would rule 1 for it.

It's better than not having them isn't it. Probably more accurate than my yellow Mk2 and Mk3s as well!

How many people model the Chiltern main line? That's probably a bigger issue I expect.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

It's better than not having them isn't it. Probably more accurate than my yellow Mk2 and Mk3s as well!

How many people model the Chiltern main line? That's probably a bigger issue I expect.

I think in terms of the percentage of sales, the number of people who model any line is limited. People just want matching locos and stock.

Roy

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I think in terms of the percentage of sales, the number of people who model any line is limited. People just want matching locos and stock.

Roy

Maybe, I thought people normally had some sort of aim in terms of region or line to match stock with though. Having Chiltern 68 and Mk3s alongside a Scotrail 153 for example makes less sense than the 68 without the Mk3s.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

Maybe, I thought people normally had some sort of aim in terms of region or line to match stock with though. Having Chiltern 68 and Mk3s alongside a Scotrail 153 for example makes less sense than the 68 without the Mk3s.

When considering the whole customer base, many people just don't care, they run what looks nice. Collectors make up a big market share and few will collect based on a line, it tends to be either everything/anything or based on a livery or class.

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Ive been aimless for decades.

:D

my wife would add useless too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 2

7 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

few will collect based on a line

Ah right I must be in the minority then where I pick stuff based on geography and era, I thought that was fairly normal.

I do see a lot of people on Facebook with all sorts of everything on their layouts though.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I do see a lot of people on Facebook with all sorts of everything on their layouts though.

Quite definitely me.

i have no issues running a Hungarian MAV 109 4-6-0 along side my TP class 68 and an Intercity livered class 56. Ive got the makings of a Japanese Bullet train (Big $$$) in my siding at the moment, next to mk1 blue/greys...rest of the coaches for it await the right price.

Though I do have some standards, regardless what it runs past, I do try to make it pull the right thing.

my collection is largely based on my work travels, back in the days when we could travel for work.

Edited by adb968008

Well I suppose at the moment my stock is having a bit of an identity crisis as it has a load of Scotrail invaders although it could be temporarily until some LNER, TPE and Northern stuff decides to show up. The subject of this thread being the first stage in that process.

Edited by TomScrut