Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

8 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

When considering the whole customer base, many people just don't care, they run what looks nice. Collectors make up a big market share and few will collect based on a line, it tends to be either everything/anything or based on a livery or class.

Roy

This is the crook of the matter.

It's where only I half understand people who have three or four of the same model.

But I do understand that I am different to them.

I choose locos based purely on what they look like.  If they look nice / cute / fun, I will look to buy.

I have some that have been handed down and will look at others that are regularly seen on the railways but that's just how I buy.  Not really fussed about getting all Swallow livery or BR black or whatever.

I do understand though that others will buy 10 Class 66 locos or have a load of stock from a particular era or line.

That's just not me :P

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

It's where I don't understand people who have three or four of the same model.

As in 3 or 4 68s, or 3 or 4 68032s?

Distinct difference!

The former is where people try to recreate what's on the railway with their stock (I do this despite my layout not looking remotely realistic), the latter I don't get either!

20210128_202728.jpg.3d6e2df1c36a0270d8c9e507327b81f0.jpg

Another example here is my 66 "collection" where I have 7 (6 of which are in the photo) and there isn't a common livery between them. I just like the different liveries especially the colourful ones.

OTOH my 5 68s have 3 liveries between them with 2 duplicates. 2 DRS liveried ones to double head stuff (RHTT, nuke stuff, potentially intermodals if I buy the wagons), and TPE because I want 2 Mk5 rakes. Duplicating the passenger stuff (as I also am with LNER 800s) is to give a sense of realism to the stock. You just have to watch the York Railcam to see how often you can see at least 2 Azumas there at once.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

As in 3 or 4 68s, or 3 or 4 68032s?

Three or four Class 68's.
I do half understand.  I guess I'd just rather put money into different locos than the same one.  Although different liveries help and I guess if you have a shunting layout based on EWS, then you'd want a few of the same (but different numbers)... but that's straying into collecting similar liveries :P

I'm happy with my 68008 - didn't particularly care which one I had but I thought DRS would give me the most flexibility for future running (although I understand 008 is with Chiltern).

2 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Three or four Class 68's.

Fair dos, and yes it's one where I think differing objectives are where this sorta comes about. I am half thinking about getting the Avanti standard and pride 390s, but where does that leave me regionally? Other than I could have LNER, SR and Avanti all in Edinburgh and give my Northern and TPE things a rest?

4 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

I'm happy with my 68008

I am very happy with mine too :drink_mini:

• RMweb Gold

In the real world, I was wondering if the Chiltern liveried Class 68’s could work with the TPE Mk5’s?  I know that 68008 has been modified to work with the Chiltern Mk3’s but do they share a common push/pull system?

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

In the real world, I was wondering if the Chiltern liveried Class 68’s could work with the TPE Mk5’s?  I know that 68008 has been modified to work with the Chiltern Mk3’s but do they share a common push/pull system?

No - the Chiltern and TPE systems are not compatible.

68008 and 68009 are the designated spares for Chiltern use - they have a form of AAR fitted- see the extra jumper box on the buffer beam of 008-016. 

The Chiltern 68 fleet were modified to suit the existing control system on the Mk3 stock - the coaches having been originally converted to work with 67s via the AAR system.

The TPE MK5 uses the native 68 system - the two small plugs just below the windscreen. *I think* the primary mod for TPE use is the addition of door controls in the driver's cab (As the Chiltern ones have also).

And destination displays inside the cab window.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I’m surprised they are this popular ,  ut shows me how out of touch with contemporary stuff I am.

I’d have thought the limited geographical nature of the TPE would have been negative, or maybe the urban density along there is such that a lot of modellers live along there.

Ive seen a chiltern one, and it amazes me there is nothing to model either of the chiltern lines in any diesel period . If someone made some Mk3s in chiltern I’d be up for it .

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, rob D2 said:

I’m surprised they are this popular ,  ut shows me how out of touch with contemporary stuff I am.

I’d have thought the limited geographical nature of the TPE would have been negative, or maybe the urban density along there is such that a lot of modellers live along there.

Ive seen a chiltern one, and it amazes me there is nothing to model either of the chiltern lines in any diesel period . If someone made some Mk3s in chiltern I’d be up for it .

Rob, I think it's as simple as it's pretty colours and a striking design.  As soon as Mrs KDG saw one she was fairly insistent that I got one - who am I to argue?   Others may not agree though....

• Funny 1

34 minutes ago, newbryford said:

The TPE MK5 uses the native 68 system - the two small plugs just below the windscreen. *I think* the primary mod for TPE use is the addition of door controls in the driver's cab (As the Chiltern ones have also).

And destination displays inside the cab window.

To elaborate on this, 68019-68034 are the only ones with the necessary mods fitted. I believe one of the locos went to Spain (ironically their place of birth) for CAF to interface, but I think I read Stadler were very insistent that the loco stayed outdoors or something to avoid foul play.

28 minutes ago, KDG said:

it's pretty colours and a striking design

I think TPE is my favourite livery at the moment. I'd love a TPE 802 as well.

And loco hauled stock isn't common nowadays, let alone brand new loco hauled stock.

Geographically it crosses the two big northbound main lines in real life, so I expect anybody doing WCML Manchester/Liverpool area could get away with it and likewise ECML Leeds/York.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

With regards Chiltern mk3’s.

there was one slam door Chiltern liveried set, used on the Banbury service.

I saw it several times, but always at night, but it always only ever seemed to have 68009 pulling it... was that the case or did others creep on to it ?

Seen here, on my way to Warley in 2018, apologies, Iphone picture.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

And loco hauled stock isn't common nowadays, let alone brand new loco hauled stock.

Pretty much everyone likes loco hauled.

IMO one major bonus of a 68 and TPE Mk5 set is that it's only 5 coaches long to be totally prototypical.

Not many can fit a 10-12 coach set on a layout, but many more will fit loco+6. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

15 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Pretty much everyone likes loco hauled.

IMO one major bonus of a 68 and TPE Mk5 set is that it's only 5 coaches long to be totally prototypical.

Not many can fit a 10-12 coach set on a layout, but many more will fit loco+6. 

Yes in my case that is also a big win. 68+Mk5, 800 (although the ones Hornby are modelling are 9 car condensed to 5 rather than actual 5 cars), Inter7City HST (4 coach), 68+SR/DRS MK2F are all examples I have or will have on my layout of a prototypical train sub 2m long. Whilst my station area is good for about 3m long, much longer than 2m will look silly on the layout and be longer than the section blocks too.

I do also think (whilst a lot of people think it is ugly) that having a DVT helps too with the set as it makes it a bit more interesting. In my case given I will be running them automated it makes life a lot easier too having them as push/pull.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I was just about to post that Peters spares listed one on ebay for £169 + p&p.

but by the time i posted it, it had gone.

Thing is.. it was listed at 1638.. its not even 5 pm yet !

That's what watches and alerts are for. My record was listing to a sale in 3 minutes.

Roy

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I was just about to post that Peters spares listed one on ebay for £169 + p&p.

but by the time i posted it, it had gone.

Thing is.. it was listed at 1638.. its not even 5 pm yet !

Somebody got lucky! 

• Like 1

I was half expecting (hoping) for the simplified livery to the ex Scotrail pair to be announced/released with them - oh well, maybe in the future. 

Am tempted by a TPE and it’s non-yellow ends but struggling to justify getting one atm with everything else on pre-order. It is a very striking livery I have to admit though. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Welly said:

^^^

These are the DCC fitted ones and I thought they were all sold out on pre-order? My pre-order has just been processed.

I’ve just gone through the checkout with a new order for “Achilles”. I needed to buy a chip anyway so DCC fitted is fine! 

• Like 1

On 29/01/2021 at 18:34, Welly said:

^^^

These are the DCC fitted ones and I thought they were all sold out on pre-order? My pre-order has just been processed.

I wonder if people cancel their pre-order, it doesn't go back in the system.
Or just a clever marketing ploy.  /tin hat