Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

6 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

That will have been the spares they had a week or two ago won't it?

This has a very small amount of paint missing off the bottom edge and so wouldn't be sold as new.

It came with some yellow on it and I asked for a replacement, they didn't have any. So I scraped it off myself but ended up taking some of the grey stripe at sill level along with it. They then messaged me to say the spares were in fact available and so I explained what had happened and they still swapped it for me (good on them).

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Leigh's got 7 of each one, at least he's not profiteering like some other retailers...stampede!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Leigh's got 7 of each one, at least he's not profiteering like some other retailers...stampede!!!

Colletts didn't have them last week AFAIK, have Dapol released extra stock?

2 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Colletts didn't have them last week AFAIK, have Dapol released extra stock?

Did you phone him or did you look on the site?

As he is on his own in the shop he struggles to keep up with deliveries I think so stuff comes in and I presume doesn't get put on the site straight away. I got a 50007 in GBRF from him weeks after they were sold out everywhere else.

1 hour ago, classy52 said:

Question for anyone, who does the best etched nameplates for the 68 as far as realism/scale is concerned?

Got 9 68's with the supplied nameplates from Dapol but want something extra special for my babies.

Hi Steve,

Colin at Rainbow Railways has done etched nameplates for all the 68’s so take a look there. If you call I’m sure he can sort you out with the numbers you need as well.

hope that helps

Mark

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Did you phone him or did you look on the site?

As he is on his own in the shop he struggles to keep up with deliveries I think so stuff comes in and I presume doesn't get put on the site straight away. I got a 50007 in GBRF from him weeks after they were sold out everywhere else.

No, just keeping a watch on certain lines. Gone from 7 to 2 Achilles since this morning!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, classy52 said:

Question for anyone, who does the best etched nameplates for the 68 as far as realism/scale is concerned?

Got 9 68's with the supplied nameplates from Dapol but want something extra special for my babies.

how does mine look ?

24ABD565-D26D-4608-AC4D-C00707B02962.jpeg.9d350369649a7f4ab84181ba3351133a.jpeg038BEE54-4F9C-4040-B8F4-0902D3250C4E.jpeg.1c36b9e07db670c03ee9e259d182b292.jpeg

its actually a 3D transfer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Is that what they are called? I thought they were simply 3D printed instead of being etched?

Its the same feel / depth as an etch, but its waterslide, which initially feels odd as traditional waterslides are flat, this has same depth/ feel of an etch.

it actually goes a bit granular, if you look at mine above, you can see the screw holes of the nameplates..

advantage.. no need to glue / risk of smear and plenty of positioning time. On removal, no evidence / trace left behind.

disadvantage.. havent really found one yet, others have said they can fall off, but so can etch plates.

That was my first experience using a 3D transfer, no qualms using it again.

this is the link 

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=3688

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Is that what they are called? I thought they were simply 3D printed instead of being etched?

It's a cross-over, and a concept pioneered by Railtec which I've gradually been refining over the past 4 years. I'm one of those who constantly wants to push boundaries and a new concept such as this are one of the fruits.

As adb968008 says, there's no filing off the sprue (so no risk of damaging), and my own personal opinion is that the relief both on the plate itself as well as the text and border is more true to life, which can be adjusted to suit, and particularly noticeable on those cruise liner class 40 plates which stand even more prominent from the bodyside. They generally tend to work out cheaper too, and you also get a spare (not that it should be needed as they're surprisingly robust).

The past couple of versions of the 3d waterslide has also seen the introduction of the mounting bolts, and a couple of the Trans Pennine plates have quite unusual offset configurations which has been faithfully replicated. I'm not sure if anybody else is this mad, but below is an example, and as you can see from adb's photo above, even in 4mm they're noticeable and add that extra level of pleasing detail.

spacer.png

For the locos which were previously DRS, the packs also contain both the DRS and TPE numbers. There's now a renumber/rename offering for what I believe to be every TPE 68, with the typeface, the size and also spacing of the numbers (cabside and front where applicable) having all been painstakingly recreated - and they do vary of course from one 68 livery to the next and sometimes even within scheme. All the TPE renumber/rename offerings are here:

https://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?type=5&gauge=4mm&region=1&livery=69

Edited by railtec-models
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

20 hours ago, adb968008 said:

how does mine look ?

24ABD565-D26D-4608-AC4D-C00707B02962.jpeg.9d350369649a7f4ab84181ba3351133a.jpeg038BEE54-4F9C-4040-B8F4-0902D3250C4E.jpeg.1c36b9e07db670c03ee9e259d182b292.jpeg

its actually a 3D transfer.

6 hours ago, railtec-models said:

It's a cross-over, and a concept pioneered by Railtec which I've gradually been refining over the past 4 years. I'm one of those who constantly wants to push boundaries and a new concept such as this are one of the fruits.

As adb968008 says, there's no filing off the sprue (so no risk of damaging), and my own personal opinion is that the relief both on the plate itself as well as the text and border is more true to life, which can be adjusted to suit, and particularly noticeable on those cruise liner class 40 plates which stand even more prominent from the bodyside. They generally tend to work out cheaper too, and you also get a spare (not that it should be needed as they're surprisingly robust).

The past couple of versions of the 3d waterslide has also seen the introduction of the mounting bolts, and a couple of the Trans Pennine plates have quite unusual offset configurations which has been faithfully replicated. I'm not sure if anybody else is this mad, but below is an example, and as you can see from adb's photo above, even in 4mm they're noticeable and add that extra level of pleasing detail.

spacer.png

For the locos which were previously DRS, the packs also contain both the DRS and TPE numbers. There's now a renumber/rename offering for what I believe to be every TPE 68, with the typeface, the size and also spacing of the numbers (cabside and front where applicable) having all been painstakingly recreated - and they do vary of course from one 68 livery to the next and sometimes even within scheme. All the TPE renumber/rename offerings are here:

https://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?type=5&gauge=4mm&region=1&livery=69

Well they look excellent and yes I will give them a go.

Thanks both for the images and background to these new style nameplates.

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Well they look excellent and yes I will give them a go.

Thanks both for the images and background to these new style nameplates.

Added bonus is the numbers, they come with the nameplate and are waterslide too.

i have a video on the previous page of doing the renumber, just a cocktail stick removes the old number.

ive a set similar set of Railtec Black Douglas plates in my office, and another Destroyer awaiting..

Edited by adb968008

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, cbrooks122000 said:

I have a Chiltern railways one of these. Any idea what coaches will go with it. I must admit I bought it because I liked the colour and shape of the loco, I never put much thought into suitable rolling stock.

On Chiltern they use mk3s with a DVT. The issue with this is the doors on the coaches aren't like any other MK3 and so they aren't tooled in RTR and so would be a special job if any exist in OO.

Best thing to do is search Flickr for the loco no you have and see what else it has done. Chiltern ones can be seen on other DRS duties such as engineering trains from time to time.

2 hours ago, cbrooks122000 said:

I have a Chiltern railways one of these. Any idea what coaches will go with it. I must admit I bought it because I liked the colour and shape of the loco, I never put much thought into suitable rolling stock.

I have two; I was attracted to the superb lighting control and wanted to use them top and tailed. My hopes that suitable RTR coaches would appear have been dashed. Now that the models are no longer topical, I think that suitable RTR coaches are unlikely. What about Hatton’s or Hornby’s four wheelers? They are supposed to be generic, after all. :D

12 minutes ago, Kaput said:

Don't Chiltern have (or used to have) a slam door blue/grey set that should be a bit more doable in RTR?

This is what they are like:

12627 at leamington

I believe the door conversion was done before the 68s were in use, but willing to be proven otherwise.

The above left in for completeness but was written blissfully unaware of the below.

Unless you're on about this?

68012 - 1U61 - London Marylebone

I wasn't aware of its existence, but it is called the Banbury/commuter set. Runs (ran?) from Banbury to London during weekdays.

This thread may be of use.

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, cbrooks122000 said:

As others have said, they aren't used exclusively on Chiltern passenger trains.

Just use flickr.com and enter your loco number of choice in the search box.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

On Chiltern they use mk3s with a DVT. The issue with this is the doors on the coaches aren't like any other MK3 and so they aren't tooled in RTR and so would be a special job if any exist in OO.

Best thing to do is search Flickr for the loco no you have and see what else it has done. Chiltern ones can be seen on other DRS duties such as engineering trains from time to time.

Yes and no.  It depends on whether the OP is trying to model the railway today, or not.  Chiltern used slam door stock with the 68s in the past, including a blue/grey set. It is only more recently were the plug door sets introduced. Even then, one set retained slam doors.

Roy

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Yes and no.  It depends on whether the OP is trying to model the railway today, or not.  Chiltern used slam door stock with the 68s in the past, including a blue/grey set. It is only more recently were the plug door sets introduced. Even then, one set retained slam doors.

Roy

I thought the conversion took place while the 67s were in charge. I have however acknowledged the one off set in my previous post. A quick rat through Flickr looking for slam door non Banbury set (can't see any) lead to the following which I may as well post given for @cbrooks122000 I was searching anyway. Search/post is not exhaustive (exhausting maybe).

Here's another pic with the Banbury slam door set

Chiltern Class 68 in the Midlands

This is something that could be recreated in part with some digging on ebay, Hornby did the Pretendolino coaches but they aren't cheap on the second-hand market

68011 | Direct Rail Services/Chiltern Railways | Rewe

I think this is doable with a bit of artistic license on the wagons (I don't think these are available?). SL45s and Megafrets (both used by DRS) are made by Dapol.

Electro-diesel electro-diesel duo

MRA wagons, made by Dapol and available second hand (about £200 for 5)

Chiltern on the engineers

JNAs and a mixture of assorted ex EWS wagons (I have a rake similar to this with Dapol JNAs and Hornby Coalfishes). Probably a few Hornby Coalfishes still in shops, the JNAs will probably be secondhand market now.

68015 Elford

IOAs, also from Dapol (new run just announced so available for pre order)

68010 Stenson Bubble 030315

FNA wagons, from Bachmann, 37 from Bachmann or Accurascale.

Wrong Way Around!

A charter made of a mix of all sorts

The Yuletide Yorkshire Explorer

Credits for pics in the Flickr links.

• Informative/Useful 2