Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

It is weird that they did that yet have succumbed to pressure to sort the issue on the Pullman one.

I think the Pullman set is much easier to configure, but if the have tooling to put the hole in for the LED I’m sure they can make a moulding for the light housing for the NMT.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

There was feedback for quite a long time IIRC about the lamp on the NMT models.

Not complaining that they have started listening (it would seem).....

That was the feedback that I meant. People commented on the NMT model and they have taken that into account in the Pullman model.

Roy

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

That was the feedback that I meant. People commented on the NMT model and they have taken that into account in the Pullman model.

Roy

Aaaah right I didn't realise that was the feedback you were referring to. They said to begin with the Pullman one wouldn't have it, but then changed their mind after people (rightly) complained, especially as people assumed (again fair enough) that the higher RRP was to do with a tooling mod.

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, TomScrut said:

It is weird that they did that yet have succumbed to pressure to sort the issue on the Pullman one.

9 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Just reacting to feedback?

Roy

reacting to $¥€£ signs.

Big Sales = Big fuss.

This HST has a bit of potential into future years, those riding it can afford the price of the model.

I suspect there will be nothing rare about this model, and plenty to go around...

1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

reacting to $¥€£ signs.

Big Sales = Big fuss.

This HST has a bit of potential into future years, those riding it can afford the price of the model.

I suspect there will be nothing rare about this model, and plenty to go around...

The other thing, are the LSL ones going on the S&C going to have the same mod? More mileage in it if so.

Likewise, are the ex LNER HSTs going to have the NMT mods? Again if so maybe worth the mod.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

The other thing, are the LSL ones going on the S&C going to have the same mod? More mileage in it if so.

Likewise, are the ex LNER HSTs going to have the NMT mods? Again if so maybe worth the mod.

The light mod is only required if the yellow ends aren't there.

The NMT was fitted with a top light to comply with rules for running on HS1.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, newbryford said:

The light mod is only required if the yellow ends aren't there.

The NMT was fitted with a top light to comply with rules for running on HS1.

Ah right I didn't know the reason RE NMT. I presumed it was to do with the testing itself.

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Ex-LNER ones ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This seems to be a good place to ask whats a general opinion is of this model,is there any big issues with it out the box or would i be unlucky if i order a few of the sound fitted ones they have announced,they look the part so whats the opinion of those who have got one.........

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

This seems to be a good place to ask whats a general opinion is of this model,is there any big issues with it out the box or would i be unlucky if i order a few of the sound fitted ones they have announced,they look the part so whats the opinion of those who have got one.........

I love my two! 

only (small) issue I’ve had with mine is a droopy coupling but fixed with a shim of card. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It's a good (very good) looking model. The only issue I've had with my two is a short on the centre of one of my crossings.

Not a disaster by any means and various solutions exist (although because of its location in a tunnel some are not available to me).

Oh and I had to remove the rear buffers because they fouled the (Rapido) couplers.

Edited by AndrueC
  • Thanks 1

Excellent models, full control over lighting functions. Really good slow speed running qualities. I've got five and two spare bodies for swopping over.

They look great on engineering trains....

Edited by martin_l_jones
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

They are excellent in my opinion, I have 5 and all have been perfect.

I have rewired mine for more realistic lighting, by default the main headlamp operates the top marker, whereas the halos are the markers and then the headlamps vary brightness to suit day/night.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, TomScrut said:

They are excellent in my opinion, I have 5 and all have been perfect.

I have rewired mine for more realistic lighting, by default the main headlamp operates the top marker, whereas the halos are the markers and then the headlamps vary brightness to suit day/night.

Are you DC or DCC ?

I thought the lighting options on DCC were excellent...??

Edited by martin_l_jones

19 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:

Are you DC or DCC ?

I thought the lighting options on DCC were excellent...??

DCC

They are, don't get me wrong. It's just that the top marker is tied to the headlights, not the halos (lower markers).

What I have done enables me to then have a more prototypical set up where I have day/night modes for the headlights (my ESU decoders can use 2 voltage settings for the same output), and markers on another function.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

have you got a wiring diagram?

Are you asking me for a wiring diagram for the mod or just asking for a diagram of the loco in general?

If the former, the answer is no. But if I remember I will try and post a pic of what I have done.

• RMweb Premium

Well ive bit the bullet and bought a sound fitted factory TPE Destroyer model.

Funny i have checked a few times and nothing left and when i looked other day they have stock listed...........must have been a one off as once i bought it,no stock.

My luck must have changed............

• Agree 1