Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

On 19/05/2021 at 18:33, TomScrut said:

Are you asking me for a wiring diagram for the mod or just asking for a diagram of the loco in general?

If the former, the answer is no. But if I remember I will try and post a pic of what I have done.

I’d be interested to see your mods in a picture please Tom

9 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

I’d be interested to see your mods in a picture please Tom

I will try and take some tonight. This is with an ESU decoder in mind with dimming functions so both day and night can be catered for.

I did post this a while back but it's not up to date. If you don't want day/night then this is the easiest way. Making it so ESU decoders can have 2 brightnesses means moving the yellow too.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've had a look through all of the comments and not found an answer to my question. 

I've just bought an N gauge Class 68 from a certain auction site (seller said only taken out of box to test).  It runs well but the coupling (it only has one on one end which is as I believe was the case when new, the other being in the detailing bag) doesn't seem to swing on corners causing the first coach to derail.  Has anyone else had this issue and is there a cure?

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

You can try trimming back any buffer beam detail so it doesn't get in the way and try and lubricate (I believe graphite is a good choice) the close coupling mechanism but unfortunately the couplers, especially on the N gauge ones are one of the biggest issues with the models.

Swapping to easi-shunts is also an option but expensive and lots of work since nem pockets don't seem that common on N gauge rolling stock yet.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Only just run in my DRS 68 Avenger yet (in fact only unboxed it after it was replace last year due to various livery imperfections). Very impressed with this example, aside from a couple of minor assembly issues that I can fix.

However, it is little hesitant as slow speeds and makes a very soft 'ticking' sound as it sets off. Is this something that should disappear with running it, or does it need tweaking?

Advice appreciated.

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Only just run in my DRS 68 Avenger yet (in fact only unboxed it after it was replace last year due to various livery imperfections). Very impressed with this example, aside from a couple of minor assembly issues that I can fix.

However, it is little hesitant as slow speeds and makes a very soft 'ticking' sound as it sets off. Is this something that should disappear with running it, or does it need tweaking?

Advice appreciated.

Theres another thread on here about running issues on DCC,might help if you are on DCC

45 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Theres another thread on here about running issues on DCC,might help if you are on DCC

No i'm on DC.

It has improved a bit after an hr of running in but still slightly ticking....

19 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Advice appreciated.

As NIRCLASS80 has said, wires or anything rubbing ont he driveshaft would be a possible cause. Recently I bought a s/h one which 'ticked' very badly and occasionally locked up once I’d removed the worm gears/driveshafts to make it a free-rolling dummy loco. It turned out to be a small (less than 1/2mm cubed) piece of ballast or grit or detritus which had got into the drivetrain and was stuck to one of the axle gears. This was visible just by removing the bogie frames and turning the wheels, then it could be spotted. A minute with a cocktail stick to clean the gear groove and it runs sweet as a nut.

The issue with locos of today is the amount of grease/lube they pour in, which will attract any fibres, dust or small particles. I find I need to de-grease RTR locos far more often than I need to grease any!! :scratchhead:

Jack.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

The issue with locos of today is the amount of grease/lube they pour in, which will attract any fibres, dust or small particles. I find I need to de-grease RTR locos far more often than I need to grease any!! :scratchhead:

Jack.

Ain't that the truth. One of the reasons I named my Class 43 'Miss Behaviour' was because she left a trail of slime behind her. Any loco run after her would stutter and stumble. It's not quite that bad now but I still give the track a wipe after I've run her.

And of course the instructions that come with her state clearly that over lubrication should be avoided..

<_<

• 1 month later...

As a quick query, would I be correct that Dapol have not done any of the original, unmodified units (001-005) in modified form yet (in Compass) with the later fuel tank, horn grills etc.?

As an additional, would someone be able to show me the physical differences between an original and a "Late Modified" Compass unit? Bar the fuel tank I'm struggling to see the actual differences, as someone not familiar with the class.

Edited by 69843
Additional query

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

If anyone is still after an Achilles from a genuine retailer at the normal RRP rather than the £200 some are charging, give John Dutfield of Chelmsford a call on Tuesday. They have one on the shelf.

Managed to resist but won't if it is still there next weekend!

1 hour ago, ruggedpeak said:

If anyone is still after an Achilles from a genuine retailer at the normal RRP rather than the £200 some are charging, give John Dutfield of Chelmsford a call on Tuesday. They have one on the shelf.

Managed to resist but won't if it is still there next weekend!

I don't get why people are charging (and I presume paying) those numbers when there's more TPE ones on the way.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Despite doing 5 different numbers, Dapol have still managed to miss anyone of the 7 ive seen!

Haha so there's only 1 that you haven't seen and Dapol haven't done?

I think I will have seen them all now, but I do see several a week!

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Haha so there's only 1 that you haven't seen and Dapol haven't done?

I think I will have seen them all now, but I do see several a week!

2.. 68020 Reliance and 68025 Centaur… ive not seen either.

I havent seen Achillies, Destroyer,Brutus, Splendid or Felix.

Actually, I just checked… I have seen 1… 68032, but it wasn’t named at the time, does it count ?

C3233BC7-1F64-49DA-BC22-6FC8BAC90902.jpeg.7395fdc8141b26b19bbb108cda4a6d54.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

there is a limited edition one if you want the pay £200 from DRS and there was 6 in the Poppy theme being auctioned for charity

https://www.directrailservices.com/product/limited-edition-68001/

I see it still has the incorrectly printed body.......

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I wonder if it is an old pic and that the bodies have been replaced. Didn't Dapol sort all of them out?

AFAIIA, Dapol only swapped them if you asked for them.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, newbryford said:

AFAIIA, Dapol only swapped them if you asked for them.

I was told by Dapol that all the DRS limited editions had been corrected when I was considering buying one, but never got that far though.

Sounds like prospective buyers need to ask DRS or Dapol?

Roy

• Agree 1