Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

3 minutes ago, Captain Electra said:

I'd be surprised if this doesn't appear RTR some time soon. Modern UV printing should take care of the livery quite nicely.

Maybe even to turn up in Dapols latest run if they can get things sorted quickly enough/they aren't too late?

6 hours ago, Simon Bendall said:

Good luck Dapol :D

254825515_2782158255410488_3725716108440585069_n.jpg

Sure a Dapol printing engineer has just seen this and gone ‘off home for a stiff drink, will look at it in the morning’ know I would in their place :)

Quite like the livery, think it’ll be one of those that looks different in different light angles after seeing some other images on wnxx just now.  DRS logo - bit bland! 

On a side note, between the left hand bogie and the fuel tank, is it me or is something missing from there on the under frame? 

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Captain Electra said:

I'd be surprised if this doesn't appear RTR some time soon. Modern UV printing should take care of the livery quite nicely.

Probably from Rainbow Railways.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pegleg90 said:

On a side note, between the left hand bogie and the fuel tank, is it me or is something missing from there on the under frame? 

Definitely something there on every other pic of a 68 I can find!

1 minute ago, virginhst539 said:

something has been removed as part of the conversion

Ah I didn't realise there was a conversion process as such I just assumed it would be a change in software or something to run on HVO. HVO isn't something I know a lot about though.

Just had a look on HVO fuels page and is says that no conversion is required due to the composition being close to diesel. Just a case of fuel it up and go. Unfortunately cant find any info on what the removed cabinet on the underframe could be. DRS have been running a 66 on the inverness intermodals as a test

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, virginhst539 said:

Just had a look on HVO fuels page and is says that no conversion is required due to the composition being close to diesel. Just a case of fuel it up and go. Unfortunately cant find any info on what the removed cabinet on the underframe could be. DRS have been running a 66 on the inverness intermodals as a test

http://www.freight-online.co.uk/sectors/rail/company-news/db-cargo-uk-successfully-trials-new-hvo-fuel

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Simon Bendall said:

The missing cabinet is the transformer and rectifier for the ETS. Looking at Flickr, its been absent for a few months.

Is that since they had issues with cracked mounting brackets?

22 hours ago, Pegleg90 said:

It’s a ERTMS Antenna/radar plate. Not sure where the ETS equipment has gone, likely found space inside. Unless removed… 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Will an 8-Function imperium decoder work a 00 Class 68 properly?

I believe DCC fitted they have 6-function but given the minimum price differential, and the fact that I may (eventually) upgrade to sound, I want a decoder with max flexibility if moved to a different loco in future.

Thanks for any advice on this

• RMweb Gold

The 68 needs logic level functions, Dapol's spec for the Imperium 3 (the 8 function one) claims Aux 3, 4, 5, and 6 are logic level so assuming thats accurate it will work fine.

The imperium decoders are generally considered to be a bit average (at best). Might be worth considering a Zimo or something instead.