Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Guest Midland Mole

I have definitely changed my mind about buying this. I congratulate Dapol on producing a fantastic model, but mistakes with the livery and sloppy nameplates ruin the DRS version for me.

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

My biggest disapointment with the Class 68 model is, that I was hoping for 2 seperate parcels to be delivered today but came home to just the usual junk mail :(

That is beyond Dapol's control I'm afraid! In no way can you expect them to be responsible for ensuring 2 class 68 parcels from Hattons are delivered on time and no junk mail is posted to your letterbox. (tongue in cheek joke)

Now that the 68 has broken cover, a couple of points:

The overall quality of the body moulding, the seperate details and (hopefully) decent running makes me just about able to forgive Dapol's usual little finishing niggles (wonky nameplates, bit of glue showing etc.)

However, now that we can see a VERY significant livery error on one side of the DRS versions which in effect renders one entire side of the loco's paint scheme as bogus, I am really suprised that this issue does not have purchasers more concerned. We are not talking here about a questionable paint shade or a few edges that can be touched up. Nothing can retrieve this major error, save a total repaint of this complex livery on one side. Not feasible for most. For those not aware of the extent of this error, observe and compare each side of the loco. I am inclined to reject my purchase over THIS issue, more than a few minor ones raised earlier.

Hopefully this can be sorted out very quickly to make you change your mind. I am really looking forward to receiving ours and my own one today. I have ordered the DRS livery myself. What I do find that is really disappointing is that at least two posters had raised   the livery errors to Dapol in July and August 2016 in Dapol Digest. In particular the need to centralise the livery on one side.

I have definitely changed my mind about buying this. I congratulate Dapol on producing a fantastic model, but mistakes with the livery and sloppy nameplates ruin the DRS version for me.

Alex

Same here although I have switiched my order to a Chiltern one. I am sure there will be further future DRS liveried releases where, I assume, these issues will be corrected. What a shame the DRS one wasn't right first time.

I'm awaiting delivery of my class 68 from DRS model shop and I have to be honest I'm a little bit worried about what I will find when it arrives, looking at some of the issues raised elsewhere in this thread, but I will reserve judgement until it arrives. And then maybe consider buying another one.

Craig

Guest Midland Mole

Same here although I have switiched my order to a Chiltern one. I am sure there will be further future DRS liveried releases where, I assume, these issues will be corrected. What a shame the DRS one wasn't right first time.

I really hope they do correct it in the future, because I would still love to get one. But for now my money is safe. :)

Alex

• RMweb Premium

Well my DRS Class 68 arrived at 08:30 this morning and at first glance it looks to be a superb model.

Name plates acceptable and no trace of any glue.

Yes the graphics are not correct, and I hope in time that Dapol will address this issue.

Not got time this morning to run it in and fit the Legomanbiffo sound chip as I'm of to Shepton Mallet to play Narrow Gauge trains

Hopefully if all goes to plan should be running on Oil Drum Lane at the Glasgow exhibition next weekend.

Terry

To be honest those are very minor errors and I can live with them. The photos I looked at of the real 68007 didn't have half spots that I can see. Not my photo https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7607/17069641345_08c8248c93_b.jpg

Roy

For me the extra spots in the triangle above the warning yellows changes the all important face of the loco but happy to accept that others will disagree! You certainly right about that corner of 007. It's different to the other 3 on that loco. Indeed I'm going crossed eyed here looking at white spots but I think it's safe to say that there is minor variation on all 8 corners. That does make it tricky for Dapol to model.

Well my Defiant is on its way .....  and based on the Watermills Yard review this loco looks excellent. as I sit in the middle of my layout ( it runs around the wall of my garage ) I will almost never see the other side of the loco so the print issue ill live with without any issues really.

Edited by Anthony566

• RMweb Gold

For me the extra spots in the triangle above the warning yellows changes the all important face of the loco but happy to accept that others will disagree! You certainly right about that corner of 007. It's different to the other 3 on that loco. Indeed I'm going crossed eyed here looking at white spots but I think it's safe to say that there is minor variation on all 8 corners. That does make it tricky for Dapol to model.

And that to me is why I can live with the spots - if the locos are subtly different corner to corner (and I gather 006 and 007 are different) then as you say, Dapol will find it hard (expensive) to be exact. The nameplates worry me more.

These issues (DRS livery, poor warning panels etc.) aside, they do look cracking locos - I just hope Dapol can correct them.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

I should be receiving my 68002 today, and very much looking forward to it. The livery issue won't bother me too much but as many have already said, I'm sure Dapol will rectify it in due course.

Might splash out on a Chiltern one soon...

Hopefully this can be sorted out very quickly to make you change your mind. I am really looking forward to receiving ours and my own one today. I have ordered the DRS livery myself. What I do find that is really disappointing is that at least two posters had raised   the livery errors to Dapol in July and August 2016 in Dapol Digest. In particular the need to centralise the livery on one side.

Hi,

Can't see how this error can be sorted out quickly. Whats done is done with regard to the incorrect livery of the DRS examples. Beggars belief, given the general effort made to reproduce this complex livery. Given production costs, it would seem unlikely that Dapol would issue corrected body shells, but I suppose anyhthing is possible (pigs flying by!!!).

I am certainly not a pedantic modeller, and have overlooked many production 'sins' that others have baulked at in the past but this is an error too far for the price.

Hi,

Can't see how this error can be sorted out quickly. Whats done is done with regard to the incorrect livery of the DRS examples. Beggars belief, given the general effort made to reproduce this complex livery. Given production costs, it would seem unlikely that Dapol would issue corrected body shells, but I suppose anyhthing is possible (pigs flying by!!!).

I am certainly not a pedantic modeller, and have overlooked many production 'sins' that others have baulked at in the past but this is an error too far for the price.

If you read on Dapols own site  the livery offset error was pointed out to them,  and they noted it, and still didnt fix it.

https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/main-forum/class-68/project-managers-blog-af/3723-class-68-update-final-drs-livery-photos

Edited by Red Baron

• RMweb Gold

Although Dapol have responded to other issues raised on their 'Digest' (glue around the nameplates etc) they have not responded to the DRS livery issue that has been raised more than once. I can't see anything being done, even on future batches, if they won't even acknowledge the fault (such a shame when the model seems to capture the complex shape of the prototype so well)

I can't help thinking that if a steam loco had been produced with the lining miss-aligned on the tender by a couple of centimetres it would not be released for sale. 

Could it have been too late to rectify?

Clearly it was,  but why pretend you dont know.

Although Dapol have responded to other issues raised on their 'Digest' (glue around the nameplates etc) they have not responded to the DRS livery issue that has been raised more than once. I can't see anything being done, even on future batches, if they won't even acknowledge the fault (such a shame when the model seems to capture the complex shape of the prototype so well)

I can't help thinking that if a steam loco had been produced with the lining miss-aligned on the tender by a couple of centimetres it would not be released for sale. 

but they did  https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/main-forum/class-68/project-managers-blog-af/3723-class-68-update-final-drs-livery-photos

• RMweb Gold

It may be me but I can't see a statement from Dapol themselves on that link? 

I was refering to the comments on the 'Digest' made about the production locos over the past couple of days have not been responded to