Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Gold

just picked mine up from haslington models, a stunning model indeed, i thought i had a "monday morning" model as opposed to a "friday afternoon" one, no glue marks, no dodgy yellow, no rub marks, very pleased with it visually

F490850D-D6A1-478B-B046-C32642014BBC.jpg

no worries about glue marks around the nameplates either, both were straight and clean, well until one fell off!

712D6730-7304-40BC-89A8-437C5B2EF9CB.jpg

a little glue mark behind where the plate was mounted, so they must have used some!

i'll PVA it back on anyway, that will hold it on and dry clear, that or double sided tape

going to give it a run on the rolling road later before chipping it up with a Bachmann chip (then ultimately a sound chip) 

• Like 6

I have a SpeedWAGON made by Black Cat Technology (evaluation tests shortly after purchase suggested that it is reasonably accurate) and the fastest speed it recorded for my class 68 on level track was 84 m.p.h. and that was light engine.  The addition of three Bachmann coaches brought it down to around 80 m.p.h. 

With this being such a recent release, would it be fair to assume that the model has not yet been run that much? These types of mechanism design, with a goodly dollop of grease in both gear towers, are often fairly draggy and will often loosen up and thus run faster as most of the grease is moved off the contacting faces of the gears. Alternatively the process can be speeded by a little degreasing and the addition of a light oil if the owner chooses. No guarantee that it works in every case, but quite often a circa 25% speed increase over 'out of the box' may be obtained.

Although Dapol have responded to other issues raised on their 'Digest' (glue around the nameplates etc) they have not responded to the DRS livery issue that has been raised more than once.

Must be something in terms of their employment, livery problems have been evident in far too many of their models and no matter how much staff change takes place the blunders continue.

Given we are told new models now are a 6 figure investment by manufacturers I never cease to be amazed how many school boy errors there are and as has been proven here even when the community helps manufacturers they still get it wrong/don't listen. This only hurts their sales/profit/turnover that they constantly remind us is required to keep the hobby viable. Some of the issues are very basic and doesn't require vast levels of prior investment/staffing/skill or time to get right, they are just basic. I am now worried what issues (and I am sure there will be plenty) there will be on the class 59! They don't seem to have learnt an awful lot sadly since the 73 and what they tell you at shows seems just hot air.

I think there is quite a bit of almost arrogance with some manufacturers, they hate consumers (rightly in some cases) nit picking their new products and all too often they have a monopoly on the product so are they really that bothered (thinking that whilst we whinge we will still in the end buy) - they just think we are all being unrealistically obsessive/demanding and there's not big issue. There isn't too much duplication in modelling so for example if you want a 68 you have to go with Dapol take it as is at the fixed high price or leave it. If there was competition and say Bachmann were producing a better version then in all likelihood this version wouldn't be touched.

Edited by sanspareil

DCC ones? I didn't think they were here yet? Anyhow having disappeared from three sites I imagine there is something in the offing. As it is, DRS livery is not for me.

Roy

DCC ready (I don't generally order Dapol DCC fitted models)

I stock TCS and ESU 6-function decoders anyway, and fit them with no service charge if purchased with a loco.

• RMweb Premium

Just picked mine up from haslington models,

I work in Crewe three days a week, Mon-Wed. The three days that Haslington Models are shut :(

At least I can call into Trident Trains on my way home if I can skip out the office early :)

Model looks good. I'm staring out the window every 2 minutes awaiting the postie.

Or Kernow by the looks of it.

Roy

So assume they are selling out rather than being pulled? Hattons normally says when items are of stock rather than just nothing showing, I see nothing now for 68005 for instance, seems a bit odd.

If selling out in just days seems someone got the demand figures a bit wrong!?! Maybe its all the returns/swaps for wonky plates etc ;)

Edited by sanspareil

With this being such a recent release, would it be fair to assume that the model has not yet been run that much? These types of mechanism design, with a goodly dollop of grease in both gear towers, are often fairly draggy and will often loosen up and thus run faster as most of the grease is moved off the contacting faces of the gears. Alternatively the process can be speeded by a little degreasing and the addition of a light oil if the owner chooses. No guarantee that it works in every case, but quite often a circa 25% speed increase over 'out of the box' may be obtained.

Yes, at the point I did the speed test (carried out in order to answer the question earlier in this thread) , the locomotive had probably been running for about 10 minutes and had traveled no more than around 400 feet. Incidentally, the owners guide states that no special running in or lubrication is needed until you wish to run it  for 'an extended period'.

I agree that speed may well improve with use. It has not happened with both my Voyagers and three HSTs but that is another story!

I stock TCS and ESU 6-function decoders anyway, and fit them with no service charge if purchased with a loco.

What are the part numbers as I am failing miserably to find them on your web site :)

Edited by Anthony566

So assume they are selling out rather than being pulled? Hattons normally says when items are of stock rather than just nothing showing, I see nothing now for 68005 for instance, seems a bit odd.

If selling out in just days seems someone got the demand figures a bit wrong!?! Maybe its all the returns/swaps for wonky plates etc ;)

Yes I am extremely curious about what's going on with their sudden dissapearance......

Yes I am extremely curious about what's going on with their sudden dissapearance......

My be they have sold out ??

Oh I see what Rails have done ...

https://www.railsofsheffield.com/Dapol-4d-022-002-class-68-defiant-68005-drs-4d-022-002-Dapol-JJJA28519.aspx

they have relisted it with a new price ... DCC Ready for £145.55

Edited by Anthony566

Yes, at the point I did the speed test (carried out in order to answer the question earlier in this thread) , the locomotive had probably been running for about 10 minutes and had traveled no more than around 400 feet. Incidentally, the owners guide states that no special running in or lubrication is needed until you wish to run it  for 'an extended period'.

I agree that speed may well improve with use. It has not happened with both my Voyagers and three HSTs but that is another story!

I find the biggest difference is 'warmth' of the loco if that makes sense. They will run faster on warm days (if layout is outside of house/in loft) or after say running for about 10-15 mins every session the loco will be a bit faster once warmed up. I have never found that running in generally improves the speed of the loco itself.

Edited by sanspareil

• RMweb Gold

I think you are missing the point - the DCC equipped ones seem to have been pulled.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

It's here!!!.

68 007 Valiant has just arrived. Opened the box with some trepidation, but needn't have worried, as it's a true Mary Poppins "practically perfect in every way".

Livery design and application surpasses any of my other models, all those warning flashes and stickers. Buffer beam detailling is tremendous. Number plates perfectly level and no sign of any glue marks :sungum:

Just one big gripe. I was hoping 68 001 from the DRS Shop would also arrive today but no such luck!

• Like 5

Could it be that only the DCC Ready models have arrived so far. Hattons still show the DCC Ready class 68 in Chiltern and Scotrail as being available for sale. I would think the DRS livery is most popular and that it could be that everyone has gone for the model and forced a rush on the sales, even with the livery error.

I have decided to charge in and get one. If the product is being pulled for the error I could have a collectors piece in a few years? Then again they might offer me a replacement body shell? Or the shop could cancel the order.

It does look to me like a rush to buy the model, rather than it being pulled - but careful none of us know the reason and thats how the other misinformation started.

Could it be that only the DCC Ready models have arrived so far. Hattons still show the DCC Ready class 68 in Chiltern and Scotrail as being available for sale. I would think the DRS livery is most popular and that it could be that everyone has gone for the model and forced a rush on the sales, even with the livery error.

I have decided to charge in and get one. If the product is being pulled for the error I could have a collectors piece in a few years? Then again they might offer me a replacement body shell? Or the shop could cancel the order.

It does look to me like a rush to buy the model, rather than it being pulled - but careful none of us know the reason and thats how the other misinformation started.

I think Rails have relisted under a higher price and Hatton's have ran out of DCC ready stock ....  As far as I know Dapol are waiting for dcc chips and sound chips to install that's why they have not been sent out yet.

I think Rails have relisted under a higher price and Hatton's have ran out of DCC ready stock ....  As far as I know Dapol are waiting for dcc chips and sound chips to install that's why they have not been sent out yet.

Your assumption is correct.   the DCC fitted models have not yet been released.

I think people are reading too much into things.  DCC fitted models are always released later from Dapol, as I understand that they fit the decoders in the UK, rather than in the factory.

It doesn't make sense sitting on the DCC ready models when they can be out earning money.

• RMweb Gold

Your assumption is correct.   the DCC fitted models have not yet been released.

I think people are reading too much into things.  DCC fitted models are always released later from Dapol, as I understand that they fit the decoders in the UK, rather than in the factory.

It doesn't make sense sitting on the DCC ready models when they can be out earning money.

Sorry - you are still missing the point. Hattons, Rails and Kernow all had these for preorder - DCC Ready, Fitted and Sound. The DRS (fitted and sound) ones have disappeared from all three sites. The Scotrail and Chiltern DCC fitted and sound ones remain - despite not being released yet.

Nothing to do with what has already been released.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Sorry - you are still missing the point. Hattons, Rails and Kernow all had these for preorder - DCC Ready, Fitted and Sound. The DRS (fitted and sound) ones have disappeared from all three sites. The Scotrail and Chiltern DCC fitted and sound ones remain - despite not being released yet.

Nothing to do with what has already been released.

Roy

Is this some sort of crazy conspiracy theory?

I've just looked at Hattons, and they are all there plain as day ready and they clearly state "SOLD OUT FOR PRE-ORDER"

Most places take them offline when sold out.

• RMweb Gold

Is this some sort of crazy conspiracy theory?

I've just looked at Hattons, and they are all there plain as day ready and they clearly state "SOLD OUT FOR PRE-ORDER"

Most places take them offline when sold out.

No, it was not a crazy conspiracy theory, the comment was made this morning by somebody else and I checked and they were not there. I see that they are on Hattons again now - they are however missing on Rails and Kernow. As far as I am aware these sites normally still list them but saying sold out - that was certainly true a couple of weeks ago.

Edit: it was a discussion and nothing more. Anyhow, I will leave it now.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

To put it into context, there are only about 1200 DRS models in the entire country (Excluding the DRS limited edition) 

and that to cover all three variants, (DCC ready, fitted and sound)

Demand was always going to far exceed supply, irrespective of the faults, whether real or perceived

Edited by Trains4U