Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Gold

To put it into context, there are only about 1200 DRS models in the entire country (Excluding the DRS limited edition) 

and that to cover all three variants, (DCC ready, fitted and sound)

Demand was always going to far exceed supply, irrespective of the faults, whether real or perceived

I agree that it will be popular - I just hope that everything selling out doesn't lead Dapol to believe that there is no need to correct the problems with it. It looks a cracking engine and I look forward to my Scotrail version arriving.

Not quite sure what the "perceived" problems are - I have not seen any problems quoted for which evidence is not abundantly evident. Some, like the white spots on the Scotrail version do not need to be corrected in my opinion as it is so minor, other more major errors need to be remedied for future models.

Roy

Guest Midland Mole

Well the DRS livery issue is fairly obvious when you look at the model in the flesh. Still, it has not stopped them selling like mad though as we have just sold the last of our DRS ones. :)

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

Not quite sure what the "perceived" problems are - I have not seen any problems quoted for which evidence is not abundantly evident.

The livery error is definitely incorrect on one side of the DRS-liveried versions. The images below show it fairly clearly. The DRS Compass is correctly possitioned but the background "shoosh" is incorrect. It should be centred but it looks like it has been dragged over the left. The right-hand cab-side is almost solid blue and has virtually none of the green "swoosh" on it.

The livery on the DRS 68s is not identical on each side. One possibility is that Dapol drew up one set of artwork (assuming both sides were identical) and then dragged it off-centre on one side to keep the compass logo in the correct position relative to the side grills.

Whether this is a deal-breaker or not is up to the individual modeler. Given that this livery has apparently sold out, I would guess not.

4D-022-001_3178186_Qty1_ruler1.jpg

68002_Stour_B_Jnc_05_08_14_040_zpsd37401

Edited by Karhedron

Having read all the comments about the livery error on the DRS version which the photos above show quite clearly and the glue overspill from the nameplates I was a little anxious when my scotrail livery 68007 arrived today. However I had nothing to worry about. The livery looks great the nameplates are great.

While there has been much comment about the livery error there has been little comment made about how good the actual model is. The detail is excellent, it looks like a class 68 I have not been able to find fault with it. It's a contender for model of the year. I had been tempted to order a second class 68 in DRS livery as well. But I will wait till they sort the livery error. But it's a brilliant model.

• Like 1

I find the biggest difference is 'warmth' of the loco if that makes sense. They will run faster on warm days (if layout is outside of house/in loft) or after say running for about 10-15 mins every session the loco will be a bit faster once warmed up. I have never found that running in generally improves the speed of the loco itself.

The temperature  where my layout is located is only around 10C so  I ran the loco for about 15 minutes in each direction at moderate speed (40 -50 m.p.h.) to warm it up .   There was certainly an improvement in the maximum speed..  Hauling just the Speedwagon it achieved 106 m.p.h. and when the same three coaches as per  the previous test were added it managed 97 m.p.h. 

• Like 1

So no interest in buying a 68 but if they are selling out despite a number of issues then Dapol must have overall done a good job.

I was a little spooked by Big Jim's pictures as it appears to have real bug eyes, I swear the thing's eyes were following me around the room.

It's easy to knock any model, there are always going to be some shortcomings but it seems to be most people are happy purchasing it.

Now where is my GW railcar Dapol, you've done the 68. :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Still waiting for Kernow to ship my DRS 68 pair, anyone experienced similar problems with obtaining DRS 68's from Kernow?

Ben

Their weekly mailing list today said they've only received part of their order, and were hoping for the rest either later today or Monday. They just listed the Chiltern one as being available on their mailing list.

in regards to the error, it did not put me off purchasing the loco and  end of the day you only see one side of the loco at a time and today i purchased my 2nd drs  one  so i now have 68002 and 68005  and ill  just have them the same way round as each other and you will never tell that way.

Dapol may have made a small error with the swoosh but the end of the day they have produced a craking loco with exellent detail and good running etc and  this modern world  likes picking faults and  it could be a lot worse than it is , it could have been  vitrains / lima who produced it not Dapol 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought 68005 was familiar, it was the first one I had a ride on as 'stock rider' in an IM job back in June

Nice little bonus for me as that's the one I got today

Aha - Great stuff. So it's okay to add one of these:

post-26525-0-14631500-1487358723.jpg

I wonder if any more of the first batch locos will follow or if that's it? I don't think there was much doubt the DRS livery variants were going to be anything but popular. Most will have ordered/pre-ordered before any awareness of any issues. I don't think the 73's sold anywhere near as fast (despite retailer predictions to me they would). I guess its a tricky game predicting but to see pretty much all main traders sell out of the DCC ready DRS models within a few days (before any of the big shows coming up) suggests Dapol seriously underestimated demand.

Maybe real sales figures of the 73 were used to predict the 68 production levels? Who knows.

I don't think there was much doubt the DRS livery variants were going to be anything but popular.

DRS livery seems very popular at the moment so it was bound to be a winner. Has anyone actually bought the Scotrail livery version yet, not seen much feedback or photos of those?

Not a Scotrail but another DRS version, 68002 Intrepid.

It does look rather good, I'm pleased.

32802704952_22f3c53624.jpgDSCF0555 by [urluess.https://www.flickr.com/photos/68980550@N03/]robfrowen[/url], on Flickr

32575880790_735d43b19a.jpgDSCF0554 by robfrowen, on Flickr

One question.  I'm using a 6 Function decoder.  I can independently control the lights on the end with the coupling via F1 and F2 but not at the cowling end, the headlights and tail lights are just directional.  I guess it's to do with the positioning of the switches inside?

A bit more fiddling I guess.

Edited by robf
  • Like 3

My 68005 arrived today and opening the box was with more than a little trepidation! What greeted me was an almost absolutely 'perfect' model with no visual glue marks, misplaced name plates, paint defects. running was flawless - perfect apart from that glaring totally inexcusable livery error. How can Dapol get is so wrong when the obvious level research that has gone into producing such an almost perfect model.

I was tempted originally to try and get hold of the DRS 68001 limited edition but decided that paying £200 for a limited edition DRS loco from DRS themselves who quote as part of the specification "Finely printed and highly detailed graphics" but no mention that some of the graphics are actually incorrect  but  they do show the graphics error on their website picture.

Sorry Dapol a fantastic loco spoilt by a that silly stupid error. $65k question - am I sending it back because of the error - no, like many others I will have to live with it........that is unless someone like Railtec can come to the rescue with a set of shaped transfer overlays, now there is a challenge!  

Edited by Martin_R

Guest Midland Mole

Since when I started at the shop, I have never seen a product sell so fast! We had our stock come in at 10am yesterday morning, and by 3:45pm we were down to our last one of each of the DRS ones....and today we sold those. While we have sold a couple of the Scotrail and Chiltern ones, the DRS livery has been the real winner. Livery & nameplate issues aside, people are definitely seeing the quality of this stunning model. :)

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole
  • Like 3

My pair arrived Thursday just as I was heading out the door to work that afternoon, so only got to play with them this evening.

First impressions, it is a vey nice model indeed! I had read about the wonky plates and yellow ends before I opened them but thankfully, I've got none of these issues. They've both had a quick run around the layout to make sure everything is ok. Straight from the box they are very smooth and quiet, most new stuff seems to have a slight gear train whine from new but not these!

As nice as they are, the DRS one is a bit of a let down with it's misprinted livery. Considering the frequent delays in the models being released to ensure the complex livery is just right, it seems completely mad for them to all be sent out with one side totally off centre! I'm guessing QC had a day off when these passed through. It would be nice for a new batch of bodies to be produced with this issue rectified. But as it stands, I can live with this silly issue.

Another thing which would've been nice is the detailing bag containing a full valance and pipework. As I don't use the standard tension locks on locos, it would be nice to have both ends fully detailed.  Again, not an issue that's the end of the world.

Anyway, here's a few pics:

post-7258-0-39000400-1487359401_thumb.jpg

post-7258-0-75795800-1487359413_thumb.jpg

post-7258-0-79846500-1487359426_thumb.jpg

post-7258-0-50551400-1487359432_thumb.jpg

post-7258-0-71342700-1487359437_thumb.jpg

post-7258-0-25503100-1487359442_thumb.jpg

post-7258-0-35766400-1487359447_thumb.jpg

post-7258-0-62571400-1487359466_thumb.jpg

post-7258-0-07995600-1487359452_thumb.jpg

post-7258-0-61904800-1487359456_thumb.jpg

post-7258-0-55424700-1487359461_thumb.jpg

A light weathering will be done to the pair. Also, anybody know if anyone is doing some "Oxford Flyer" plates for 68010?

Andy.

• Like 6