Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Gold

It is impressive how Dapol managed to get the details like logo differences between locos correct but managed to get the general loco livery 'swoosh' so wrong on one side!

Quoting from Dapol's Digest (Andy@Dapol; 5th December last year -  in response to a query about MU socket availability):

"[There have been] More changes than you may expect: Fuel tanks, 'battery' boxes, land-line connector, grab handles (with, without, reinforced), 'tea strainers' in front of horns etc. to name a few. That's without considering such thinks as the retro-fit of MU connectors to the earlier examples of the fleet.

The next release will feature some of these changes as appropriate for the time that is being modelled. - At the moment there is no final list of what is to be produced since there maybe livery changes that we could model. The final list will be released around 1st quarter next year."

I have to agree; it's impressive what their research has thrown up, and what they're aware of (and consequentially; what people might see as a possible error perhaps isn't always what it seems). But yes; 'nuff said about the green swoosh :-)

Stunning model overall (in my view)

Rob

Picked up my 68005 from the post office this morning and i can report NO wonky plates or obvious glue marks and to be completely honest you don't really notice the miss print at all unless you really look at it.

What i will say is this is a fantastic loco the detailing is excellent i haven't run it in yet ill do that tonight ... just waiting for my sound fitted 68002 to arrive from DC-Kits.

If Dapol do a new run of this loco with different numbers i will definitely purchase a few more in this livery as it is the most impressive paint job on a model loco i have seen so far.

Photo of mine ... more than happy with it.

20170220_151002_001_zpsefehatbv.jpg

Edited by Anthony566
  • Like 2

I contacted Dapol about the badly applied nameplates on my 68005 and they weren't interested in helping all they said pretty much was were now sold out....

Hopefully on the next batch Dapol actually check the quality next time before releasing the models... I have spoken to one model shop this morning who had to send all their DRS ones back due to quality issues with plates, wiring etc as the quality wasn't good enough to send them out, this is a nice thing to do rather than just ship shoddy models to the customer and try and take their money.

I contacted Dapol about the badly applied nameplates on my 68005 and they weren't interested in helping all they said pretty much was were now sold out....

Hopefully on the next batch Dapol actually check the quality next time before releasing the models... I have spoken to one model shop this morning who had to send all their DRS ones back due to quality issues with plates, wiring etc as the quality wasn't good enough to send them out, this is a nice thing to do rather than just ship shoddy models to the customer and try and take their money.

Which model shop was that ??

Kind of goes back to the question i was asking the other day. Wonder what happens to all these returns, especially if not actually sold to the public and especially if Dapol thinks all is well!?! Maybe some more 002/005 models might be appearing for sale again or appear for sale on the Dapol stand at shows...

From what people are saying the nameplate glue issue is not really resolvable without a repaint. So Dapol either chuck the whole lot in the bin or source new body shells or sell them as they are somehow/somewhere.

Edited by sanspareil

• RMweb Premium

Their silence/head in the sand approach is somewhat bizarre. I made comment on their digest last week having seen their reply to someone who dared to raise the QC issues.

Their approach seems to be a general, hey, they're selling like hot-cakes so we don't care.

To be fair to them, the models ARE selling, despite the noted issues, so why should they worry!.

Will be interesting to see what the reviews are like in the various magazines. The model truly is excellent, and I'm delighted with mine, but paint finish, nameplates, glue marks and wiring issues are in my view, too significant to be glossed over.

I wonder why they chose such an odd complex shape for the front on the real thing. I cannot think of any benefits other than making it harder and more expensive to manufacture.

It has really been DESIGNED, and that's why I like them. I lost interest in diesels with the likes of class 67. You wouldn't buy a car by the designer of that, surely, if indeed it was designed at all. A few strokes of a pen on a beer mat is all that was needed! I have followed them closely since they were introduced and have managed photos of all except 20 and 24 so far.

On another track, my photos ("Derningtona" on Flickr) show the following handrail observations for the Chiltern liveried locos:-

68010 1.10.14 and 2.9.15 WITH

68011 26.8.14 (1st solo trip by a Chiltern livery loco) WITH

68012 2.9.15 WITH

68013 24.2.15 and 27.4.15 WITHOUT

68014 31.7.15 and 2.9.15 WITH

68015 22.1.15 WITHOUT and 18.11.15 WITH

You have to choose a date and a photo to match your model. Dapol can't take all variations into account. 

My model of 68005 came on Saturday and I must say that it is a SUPERB model - grilles with something behind, small pipes underneath, fine windscreen wipers to mention just a few things that took my attention. My nameplates were straight and no sign of any glue, thank goodness. The tiniest bit of yellow warning panel was rubbed off at both ends but a tiny brush and Reeves lemon yellow acrylic from my set cured that. One buffer and two adjacent steps were broken. The steps were glued back with instant glue on the end of a pin and you can't see the joins. The buffer shank needed micro-surgery with the glue as alignment had to be precise as there is a projection at the bottom of the shank to stop the buffer turning and any dried glue had to be carefully removed with a scalpel but having done that I was more than satisfied. The problem is that the loco is too heavy for the plastic packaging. I can live with the wrong "swoosh". It is a shame, but people being what they are (myself included) will look at that and ignore the marvellous things about it.      

• RMweb Premium

Just noticed that one of my DRS examples is missing its full front 'air dam'. I have the accessory pack but obviously that one has a slot in it. As the DRS ones are now out of stock and apart from the air dam the rest of the model is perfect, I'm loathe to send it back. So was wondering does anyone know if these are going to be available as spares at some point, especially as it sounds as though a few want another full air dam at the other end? Worse case is that I'll have to fill in the gap on the slotted air dam, but if it's gonna be available I'm patient so will wait,

I thought my silver 68 was missing the full valance. It turns out that it was loose in the box. It is a loose fit on the loco. Tiny dab of glue - sorted.

But I still want a full valance for the other end....

If anyone want to swap a couple of slotted valances (to fit NEM pockets at both ends) for a couple of full valances, then please PM me......

Cheers,

Mick

I thought my silver 68 was missing the full valance. It turns out that it was loose in the box. It is a loose fit on the loco. Tiny dab of glue - sorted.

But I still want a full valance for the other end....

My Silver 68 had a 'full' valance in the accessory pack as well as one fitted to the loco, result!

• Like 1

Before a model shop sends its whole batch back to Dapol should they ask those with pre orders what they'd prefer? Because if they are selling out as fast as has been said there may not be a replacement. Some customers might prefer to have a wonky nameplate rather than no model?

Before a model shop sends its whole batch back to Dapol should they ask those with pre orders what they'd prefer? Because if they are selling out as fast as has been said there may not be a replacement. Some customers might prefer to have a wonky nameplate rather than no model?

People are removing the wonky plates without any issues so this should not be a reason not to have the loco IMO.

Guest 40-something

Im really tempted by a Chiltern one!  I model 1970 SE London but I really want one!!!

It looks a cracking model, the Scotrail and DRS versions look great too, its a real shame about the name plate issue and the registration of the livery on one side of the DRS locos

Personally I wouldnt accept the livery error or wonky nameplates, not at the price.

Edited by 40-something

• RMweb Premium

While I appreciate the demand for the model , you really can't let a manufacturer away with dodgy QC , otherwise they'll never be encouraged to get it right. I'm going to sit this one out. I fancy the loco but I think I'll wait for the wrinkles to get sorted out in the second batch. While I could still obtain a ScotRail one , I suspect the one with the most widespread and long lived livery will be the DRS one.

The version of the handrail story I heard was that the handrails had to be modified to provide a stronger mounting point, removing the single point of failure if the bolt snapped. Looking at pictures seems to back this up, as delivered there's a single bolt at each, later, there's three. It looks like a plate has been welded on, adding an additional hole each side of the original one.

Whether this is Chiltern specific to begin with or not, it's now spread to most if not all locos. Safety cases vary by company, so it's possible it was the Chiltern safety case that picked this issue up, hence those were noticed handrail-less the most

Jo

People are removing the wonky plates without any issues so this should not be a reason not to have the loco IMO.

For information can people confirm if they are removing the glue too without taking the paint away? I had heard that the plates come off easy but the glue remains. If you take off the glue then the paint comes with it. If you cant take the glue off you cant resolve this issue (but possibly could resolve wonkyness)??