Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Gold

Before a model shop sends its whole batch back to Dapol should they ask those with pre orders what they'd prefer? Because if they are selling out as fast as has been said there may not be a replacement. Some customers might prefer to have a wonky nameplate rather than no model?

Who is paying for the retailer's time in doing that, or indeed spending a lot of time dealing with potentially a lot of returns - something that is time consuming and expensive, and then perhaps arguing with Dapol about credit etc. Whilst a retailer will absorb some faulty items if it becomes a lot then they lose money, and the margins on a £125 loco (that's the VAT inclusive price) won't be huge. If as suggested they've checked those that arrived and found high proportion are defective it may make business sense to send the lot back and focus on things that do sell with limited returns. Not a retailer's job to spend time and money fixing manufacturing problems.

• Like 1

Im really tempted by a Chiltern one!  I model 1970 SE London but I really want one!!!

It looks a cracking model, the Scotrail and DRS versions look great too, its a real shame about the name plate issue and the registration of the livery on one site of the DRS locos

Personally I wouldnt accept the livery error or wonky nameplates, not at the price.

But you were quiet happy to tell people to get a paintbrush out when others were challenging livery errors on the Dapol Class 08.

• RMweb Premium

Are there any detail differences between 001-005 and 016-025?

Just had a quick look on Flickr and the only thing that I have noticed so far is that 68005 has an electrification warning sticker in between the handrail and the logo and running number of the loco. Whereas a quick look at a photo of 68016 shows that their is no warning sticker in that place.

68005: https://www.flickr.com/photos/martynspencer/16034119492/in/photolist-

68016: https://www.flickr.com/photos/danwarman1/27143981805/in/photolist-

Please note that neither of the photos are mine. They are other peoples.

I'm not sure if the other 68s have the sticker in that place or not.

Hope this helps.

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission

Thought I read the fuel takes changed after 68005 onwards? Digest forum?

Yes, 68001-05 have a smaller fuel tank that the rest of the class, which Dapol has replicated. When the larger tank was fitted from 68006 onwards, some of the other underframe equipment had to be repositioned to accommodate, such as the light grey shore supply socket.

Thanks to Si Bendall for the info.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, 68001-05 have a smaller fuel tank that the rest of the class, which Dapol has replicated. When the larger tank was fitted from 68006 onwards, some of the other underframe equipment had to be repositioned to accommodate, such as the light grey shore supply socket.

Thanks to Si Bendall for the info.

So to do the later DRS locos, you need to buy a Chiltern one and repaint it.

At least you'll stand a chance to get the graphics in the correct place on both sides..........................................

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

How long? I am a modeller so I like to model and may want a later variant for my exhibition layout sooner rather than later.

Repainting is modelling..........

:onthequiet:

Edited by newbryford

Guest 40-something

But you were quiet happy to tell people to get a paintbrush out when others were challenging livery errors on the Dapol Class 08.

Yes I did say that, repainting a roof or bonnet top the same colour as the rest of the body is a lot less complicated than trying to repaint a very complex fading pattern as these loco's wear.  If you go back to the 08 thread you will also see that I wouldn't have bought the loco if the wasp stripes were wrong, as I, personally find them difficult to do.  

As it turned out, the liveries produced by Dapol are based on real liveries worn by 08's, and are correct.  Whereas the very unfortunate registration of the livery on one side of the DRS 68's is very wrong and is not a simple touch up by any means.

Edited by 40-something

Swapping over bodies as you proposed is hardly modelling!

Swapping bodies, removing numbers and applying different numbers is more modelling than just waiting for another batch with hopefully the later chassis/fuel tanks as was proposed!

• RMweb Gold

I wonder which transfer maker will be the first to release 'one-side only' transfer sets for DRS 68's?

On a serious note I note that my pre-ordered DRS 68 has yet to show any signs of appearing from the retailer. Are shipments staggered or have they sent them back? I am pondering swapping the order for a Bachmann 57. At full price I don't think the livery error is acceptable. Neither is the nameplate glue but I'd live with that, just look like all my ebay bought 2ndhand models! There is a logic to waiting for another batch as with over 30 examples in real life, no doubt more liveries to come and Dapol having tooling to pay for so there will be more made in the future. And despite the issues they seem to be able to sell them.

Or perhaps just wait for it to arrive and turn a nice profit on Ebay!

• Like 1

I wonder which transfer maker will be the first to release 'one-side only' transfer sets for DRS 68's?

On a serious note I note that my pre-ordered DRS 68 has yet to show any signs of appearing from the retailer. Are shipments staggered or have they sent them back? I am pondering swapping the order for a Bachmann 57. At full price I don't think the livery error is acceptable. Neither is the nameplate glue but I'd live with that, just look like all my ebay bought 2ndhand models! There is a logic to waiting for another batch as with over 30 examples in real life, no doubt more liveries to come and Dapol having tooling to pay for so there will be more made in the future. And despite the issues they seem to be able to sell them.

Or perhaps just wait for it to arrive and turn a nice profit on Ebay!

I hope it depends on where you retailer has bought them from. I ordered mine from Gaugemaster. They are still awaiting despatch. I spoke to them yesterday and was told that there were still other retailers also waiting for theirs.

I hope it depends on where you retailer has bought them from. I ordered mine from Gaugemaster. They are still awaiting despatch. I spoke to them yesterday and was told that there were still other retailers also waiting for theirs.

I saw a trader at the craft/model trade show at Locomotion selling them for £120 on the day. Promptly bought a DRS version and kind of kicking myself that I didn't get a Chiltern one, but the bank balance will only go so far..

I mentioned the price to them and that I had seen them more expensive elsewhere. I would think they are not £120 any more....