Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

The buy of the week on @-bay DRS 68005 DCC Ready £214 and it has glue on the name plate :O

You still can get the Limited Edition 68001 Evolution from the DRS website shop for £200 plus £4.95 delivery, evidently now cheaper than the stock models 68002 & 68005...bizarre

It seems the DRS 68001 has been flying under the radar???

• Like 1

Has anyone tried removing the squint nameplates to reposition them 

Yes. Dead easy. In a big space (so you see where it flew off to) just flick off with a blunt scalpel. Mine went straight back on no bother. Other side was fine.

Edited by gridwatcher

I rang Ian Allan Waterloo this morning and his 4D-022-002 - 68005 have all gone (they had 4 in yesterday and all sold already). But Grimmy Times still have some of both the DRS versions i think. 

I might try and ping the plates off my 68005 and move them up by 0.5m to cover the glue, if I dont feel brave enough will probably sell the loco now i've purchased another.

Has anyone ordered the limited edition DRS 68001 and if so has anyone got theirs yet?

Yes I have but haven't received it yet, I was informed by DRS last week they will be dispatched during the course of this week so hopefully get it by Friday or Saturday.

Edited by classy52

Has anyone ordered the limited edition DRS 68001 and if so has anyone got theirs yet?

I called to order one over a week ago as i wanted them to confirm if they also had the same printing issue and they told me they did and were waiting for a response from Dapol,I called again yesterday and was told I would get an email response as the lady who is dealing with it was out of the office yesterday.

I can't see the DRS limited edition versions being any different to the main order to be honest.

Edited by Anthony566

• RMweb Gold

I called to order one over a week ago as i wanted them to confirm if they also had the same printing issue and they told me they did and were waiting for a response from Dapol,I called again yesterday and was told I would get an email response as the lady who is dealing with it was out of the office yesterday.

I can't see the DRS limited edition versions being any different to the main order to be honest.

A lot may depend on how DRS approved the model. They probably have more power over Dapol to correct the issue as they have bought several hundred as opposed to 1 or 2. If DRS approved the model as it is then it is probably tough. If they approved artwork that does not match the finished product, but not a model itself they may be able to argue. If they identified the error and were told it will be fixed...

Roy

A lot may depend on how DRS approved the model. They probably have more power over Dapol to correct the issue as they have bought several hundred as opposed to 1 or 2. If DRS approved the model as it is then it is probably tough. If they approved artwork that does not match the finished product, but not a model itself they may be able to argue. If they identified the error and were told it will be fixed...

Roy

I did email DRS last week after I ordered the 68001 just to let them know there were quite a few concerns within forums with nameplates and the livery issue down one side of the loco and just wanted to know from them if there was a QC process DRS would undertake with their products before dispatch to customers, I didn't get a reply thus not entirely sure if there is a hold up due to quality issues or if they are still on track to dispatch this week.

I will drop them another line to find out and let you know of any developments.

Thanks for the replies :)

As long as I know it's not just me waiting for their 68001. I'll sit and await events.

I've received a Chiltern and Scotrail one and I've given them the once over and they are perfect (I've had to put them away for my birthday now though so I was hoping the DRS one I ordered as a present to myself would arrive soon lol)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As you may have seen above I was uncertain whether to go ahead with my planned purchases of Scotrail 68s. Eventually I decided that enough people were getting good ones to give it a go.

The first one arrived just now (68006) and I have to say it is a lovely looking loco. One nameplate is perfect, the other very slightly crooked and a tiny bit of glue - I can live with that. Now the however, one of the handrails is missing, those that are just below the front window. It was not in the packaging and there is no evidence that it was ever there. I am reluctant to send it back given that the rest is ok, I fear I end up with a worse model.

Is anybody with a Chiltern one planning to remove the handle and would therefore have a spare that I could have please? I need a right hand one. Please PM me if you have one available.

Will test run it tonight.

Cheers,

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

I rang Ian Allan Waterloo this morning and his 4D-022-002 - 68005 have all gone (they had 4 in yesterday and all sold already). But Grimmy Times still have some of both the DRS versions i think. 

I might try and ping the plates off my 68005 and move them up by 0.5m to cover the glue, if I dont feel brave enough will probably sell the loco now i've purchased another.

Hi , Just to advise Grimy Times has only 2x 68002 Intrepid left . All the Defiants have now sold.

• Like 1

So i Ordered the 68007 Valiant & the 68005 Defiant yesterday from Jacksons models as there local to me. Got both delivered for £269

Been on edge all last night & this morning wondering what problems they may have.

I opened the DRS first as it seems to be the one with the common problems, only 1 nameplate had a long glue bleed of course it has the missaligned livery swoosh on one side cant really do anything about that.

Opened the Scotrail it is 100% perfect no wonky plates or glue bleeds.

Tried both on DC both work flawless waiting for Bif's sound decoder to come then i'll see what there like on DCC.

I decided to see how to deal with that glue bleed. I cut a strip of electric tape placed it lightly above the bleed not pressing it down hard so not to mess the paint Got a cocktail stick & sharpened the end as much as i could.

I dipped the tip quickly in warm water then began to rub the tip along the bleed i did not try to scrape it off from underneath so not to scratch the paint. It started to rub itself free from the paint & eventually the whole blob came free. It was really quick & no damage at all was caused to the underneath Paint.

Give it a go guys it may work for you too. just try not to scrape the tip of the cocktail stick under the bleed if you can help it. The glue reminded me of that weird stuff they stick credit cards to paper. it rolled into a ball as i pushed it along the top of the nameplate.

• Like 2

I wonder why they are discontinued and the drs shop ones are taking so long? I'm wondering if DRS sent them back and are getting the correct livery and nameplates fitted? If Dapol are happening to make CORRECT bodyshells for DRS 68's I would happily get some, but I would expect some sort of discount if we have to buy them?

Ben

I wonder why they are discontinued

I would assume discontinued just means that run of numbers and sold out and no more will be produced? Nothing stopping them doing another batch with different running numbers.

• RMweb Gold

Received Scotrail 68006 "Daring" today courtesy of Collets Model Shop via eBay. Absolutely stunning with no issues.

Very happy bunny indeed.

Youchoos sound on the way...

Cheers

Darius

Youchoos sound chips with stereo "3D" speakers installed in both DRS and Scotrail locomotives. Sounds amazing

Still a very happy bunny :)

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43