Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

I've pre-ordered the DRS livery 2 DCC fitted versions from rails but they cannot confirm they'll be able to fulfil my order as they rung up on the release day asking if i wanted to change to DCC Ready because of this - half kicking myself now.

It could be worse. It isn’t very hard to fit a decoder and you have a choice: cheap and limited or more expensive and good control of the lighting functions.

This link may be of interest to anyone wanting to take their model 'further'...this guy's site is full of such projects with some scratchbuilds and great modelling...the 68 mods go way over my head with two decoders and function mapping etc., but I'm sure some will understand it:

http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-68/index.htm

Thanks,

Jack.

Hello, 

I purchased 68006 from my local model shop last Saturday, no issues, lovely model and it runs fine on DC and even better on DCC. 

I've put a MX634D Zimo chip in mine, all good but the lighting functions are doing this:

FN0 on in forward direction (cab 1), head lights, cab lights but no tail lights (cab 2 end)

FN0 on in reverse (cab 2), cab light only at cab 2 end, no headlights, red lights on cab 1 end

FN0 & FN1 on in forward direction (cab 1), head lights on cab 1 & 2, cab lights cab 1

FN0 & FN1 on in reverse (cab 2), cab light on at cab 2 end, cab 2 headlights on, red lights on cab 1 end

FN0 on in forward direction (cab 1), head lights, cab lights but no tail lights (cab 2 end) FN2 on momentarily with red red lights cab 2

I presume I'll need to do function mapping to correct this - correct? how do you function map?

Side note in the dark i've noticed there is some light bleed around the door handles and cab side at the base from headlights - still a fantastic model!

Thanks

Ali

The instructions say that the Zimo MX644D is not MTC compliant. I should imagine that your 634 is an older version of the same thing. In order to get full control of the lighting functions, the instructions mention (but stop short of recommending) a Loksound 21-pin MTC or a LokPilot 21-pin MTC.

Is the 68 DRS oo gauge now discontinued , some sellers sites say sold out some say temporarily unavailable .?

Bit disappointing that I'm going to have to pay 200 quid to greedy eBay sellers to now get one for my lad ,,been looking out for the release of this train for over a year now when they finally released there only seems limited numbers .

DRS Online shop still has the Limited Edition 68001 available for £200 plus £4.95 delivery if you fancy one of those plus now seem to be cheaper than the stock models on thiefBay, link below;

http://shop.directrailservices.com/drs-model-shop/Limited%20Edition%2068001%20Model

• RMweb Premium

DRS Online shop still has the Limited Edition 68001 available for £200 plus £4.95 delivery if you fancy one of those plus now seem to be cheaper than the stock models on thiefBay, link below;

http://shop.directrailservices.com/drs-model-shop/Limited%20Edition%2068001%20Model

A number traders had them for sale at the Glasgow exhibition today.

All liveries & prices

Terry

• RMweb Gold

Not everybody can afford to pre-order everything they want. If you use the system hattons use (for example) whereby you pop your card details in and then no money is taken until the day it is despatched, it can cause cashflow issues to some people, therefore the risk of preordering can be too risky.

Fair enough although you can cancel pre-orders with the likes of Hattons, so pre-order and as the time gets closer to release, cancel if the cost will be an issue. Such an approach can save money, helping cashflow. Kernow have a different approach where you can "save up" with them to offset the pre-order hit coming at once.

I couldn't afford the APT-E, am I disappointed? Heck yes. Have I gone morning Rapido should have made more? Not at all. 'Tis just a fact of life that few can afford everything that they want.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold

As it's been brought up in this thread here is my take on most model rail releases. As the models themselves including coaches and wagons are so expensive the manufacturers only make them in batches. This is also due to how the factories work in China. Thus I treat every release as a limited edition. If I want it I pre-order it. This is especially true with something you know is going to be popular, particularly for me Dapol 68 and Dapol Freightliner HIA wagons, (I pre-ordered these items). For the future Bachmann 37099 and 37884 are going to be extremely poplular, (I have pre-ordered these). Also got my 68's for my pre order price!

Anyway back on topic, my 68's have gone in the post to be replaced with good examples.

Edited by Andy7
  • Like 1

Fair enough although you can cancel pre-orders with the likes of Hattons, so pre-order and as the time gets closer cancel to release if the cost will be an issue. Such an approach can save money, helping cashflow. Kernow have a different approach where you can "save up" with them to offset the pre-order hit coming at once.

I couldn't afford the APT-E, am I disappointed? Heck yes. Have I gone morning Rapido should have made more? Not at all. 'Tis just a fact of life that few can afford everything that they want.

Roy

If I like a model when it is announced I pre-ordered it and the start putting some money away each month, as the release dates are often drawn out I have plenty put aside when the item is released....cash flow problem solved. Edited by Tigger

It helps to have Scottish blood in your wallet. I buy most stuff on a credit card (it has a small benefit). I note what I spend so that I don’t overspend. If a pre-ordered item doesn’t appear by the time my statement arrives, I put the money aside and note what it’s for. It can be annoying if the price goes up but at least I have most of what I need when the thrilling moment arrives.

On a different tack, from time to time it has been observed that prices rise. Consequently, I have to be selective. I end up looking for shortcomings in models in order to rule them out. Of course, I’m only one person but if everyone acted the same way, quality would be driven up. I won’t claim the credit for the disappearance of traction tyres (a no-no for me); that is probably a result of extended griping by purchasers.

I am getting a similar problem with lighting outputs with my Zimo MX632D which says it is MTC compatible and has 8 function outputs!

F0 controls directional on cab end 1.

F1 controls tails on cab end 2.

F2 contrails headlights on cab end 2.

Not sure how to get the halos working.

Eight? That is interesting!

Eight? That is interesting!

It certainly is; especially considering the diagram on the back only shows 6 function outputs. Maybe they've been sneaky and included motor +/- into the count. 

The online instructions seem to be some tangle of the same set of instructions for many decoders which seems impossible to work out what applied to which decoder!

http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/MX-KleineDecoder_E.pdf

• RMweb Gold

I've pre-ordered the DRS livery 2 DCC fitted versions from rails but they cannot confirm they'll be able to fulfil my order as they rung up on the release day asking if i wanted to change to DCC Ready because of this - half kicking myself now.

I pre-ordered a DCC ready version from a retailer and it has yet to appear. Somewhat frustrating to hear that they are sitting in stock at MRS yet I haven't got mine. I'm assuming that's a distribution/allocation issue. I agree with the worry about lack of stock and pre-ordering, hence I pre-ordered on this occasion. Off to my local model store later to see if they have any in stock.

I wonder about the model of the 88 - if I were Hornby and I had capacity I'd be straight round to DRS with an offer to deliver the 88 100% correct and properly made. Probably with a suitcase full of Pecketts to hand out as incentives!

Edited by ruggedpeak

Just received my 68001, shocking packing from DRS of bubble wrap and brown paper! Considering the price premium they put over the standard version you'd think they could run to a cardboard box with foam padding!

Luckily it arrived in one piece with straight nameplates but I think arriving in one piece is more luck than anything else because the paper on the outside was ripped and quite a few of the bubbles were popped!

Superb model though

Just received my 68001, shocking packing from DRS of bubble wrap and brown paper! Considering the price premium they put over the standard version you'd think they could run to a cardboard box with foam padding!

Luckily it arrived in one piece with straight nameplates but I think arriving in one piece is more luck than anything else because the paper on the outside was ripped and quite a few of the bubbles were popped!

Superb model though

I got my 68001 this morning as well and yes totally agree about how it was wrapped with only 1 layer of bubble wrap and brown paper around the box which I thought was quite poor and expected it to be in another box with the bubble or foam around the item, thus I held my breath when I started to unwrap the item and must admit Dapol's packaging is very good (nice strong box with foam insert) and love the limited edition artwork on the box it came in.

Anyway, took out the loco and wow what a model and totally intact with the nameplates perfectly placed with no glue marks and everything else where it should be, even the yellow ends are perfect...too be honest this is my first 68 and it's just simply stunning even with it's livery error down one side which will be quickly forgotten.

I have also ordered the 68005 with biffo sound from DC Kits which hasn't arrived yet but amazingly only payed £230 last Monday considering the prices that were being charged for the non-sound versions around the place, can't believe I managed to get one considering how late I was in purchasing thus have been very lucky.

• RMweb Premium

Going back a few posts regarding full valances at one end and slotted at the other.

Now that a few more people have got their 68s, and for those that want to run with NEMs at both ends, is anyone willing to swap their full valance for slotted ones? I have two slotted that I would like to exchange for full. 

Please PM if you can help.

Otherwise. it's out with the plasticard and filler to fill the gap.

Ta

Mick

• Like 1

Going back a few posts regarding full valances at one end and slotted at the other.

Now that a few more people have got their 68s, and for those that want to run with NEMs at both ends, is anyone willing to swap their full valance for slotted ones? I have two slotted that I would like to exchange for full. 

Please PM if you can help.

Otherwise. it's out with the plasticard and filler to fill the gap.

Ta

Mick

I have a spare full air dam I don't need and are after a second slotted valance.

Ben

I got my 68001 this morning as well and yes totally agree about how it was wrapped with only 1 layer of bubble wrap and brown paper around the box which I thought was quite poor and expected it to be in another box with the bubble or foam around the item, thus I held my breath when I started to unwrap the item and must admit Dapol's packaging is very good (nice strong box with foam insert) and love the limited edition artwork on the box it came in.

Anyway, took out the loco and wow what a model and totally intact with the nameplates perfectly placed with no glue marks and everything else where it should be, even the yellow ends are perfect...too be honest this is my first 68 and it's just simply stunning even with it's livery error down one side which will be quickly forgotten.

I have also ordered the 68005 with biffo sound from DC Kits which hasn't arrived yet but amazingly only payed £230 last Monday considering the prices that were being charged for the non-sound versions around the place, can't believe I managed to get one considering how late I was in purchasing thus have been very lucky.

Can someone send a picture of the box artwork and 68001 on the thread please.

Ben

Hello,

I purchased 68006 from my local model shop last Saturday, no issues, lovely model and it runs fine on DC and even better on DCC.

I've put a MX634D Zimo chip in mine, all good but the lighting functions are doing this:

FN0 on in forward direction (cab 1), head lights, cab lights but no tail lights (cab 2 end)

FN0 on in reverse (cab 2), cab light only at cab 2 end, no headlights, red lights on cab 1 end

FN0 & FN1 on in forward direction (cab 1), head lights on cab 1 & 2, cab lights cab 1

FN0 & FN1 on in reverse (cab 2), cab light on at cab 2 end, cab 2 headlights on, red lights on cab 1 end

FN0 on in forward direction (cab 1), head lights, cab lights but no tail lights (cab 2 end) FN2 on momentarily with red red lights cab 2

I presume I'll need to do function mapping to correct this - correct? how do you function map?

Side note in the dark i've noticed there is some light bleed around the door handles and cab side at the base from headlights - still a fantastic model!

Thanks

Ali

The 'D' versions of Zimo decoders are not MTC compliant so won't work correctly with the Dapol 68, you need to use the 'C' versions.

But you are in luck as it is a 634D, as you can convert it to a 634C by writing a 3 to CV 8.

Edited by markw

• RMweb Gold

I don't need this model but I just succumbed to temptation purely because of the design and appearance of its prototype DRS which is sometimes seen locally at Derby. But yes,I fortunately do have stock to run it with.

On collection from the sorting office yesterday,first impression...God,it's heavy. Open the box,...nameplates correct and straight ,bits in place....the thing is quite simply stunning and I am aware of the livery fault. This model for a mass produced r-t-r raises the bar and will turn heads wherever it runs.IMHO notwithstanding the issues posted on this thread,this is a 5-star winner ..up there with the Hornby 60 or even better considering some of the faults with later versions of that. Well done Dapol.

• RMweb Gold

I pre-ordered a DCC ready version from a retailer and it has yet to appear. Somewhat frustrating to hear that they are sitting in stock at MRS yet I haven't got mine. I'm assuming that's a distribution/allocation issue. I agree with the worry about lack of stock and pre-ordering, hence I pre-ordered on this occasion. Off to my local model store later to see if they have any in stock.

My DRS version ships Tuesday, delayed from today due to credit card number changing. Retailer advises it has been inspected and apart from the known livery issue it is undamaged with all buffers attached and has non-wonky nameplates :) We will see what arrives next week.......excited again now I know its on its way.

• Like 1

Mines fitted with a Zimo MX644D which is in the literature that comes with the model and still my halos don't work either. Anyone have any idea what the settings of the CV's should be for on/off independent functioning? Currently mapped to F03/04 I know the CV numbers as full list came with the sound chip. I've tried all sorts to get it to work and nothing.......

Edited by spice1977
  • Like 1

The 'D' versions of Zimo decoders are not MTC compliant so won't work correctly with the Dapol 68, you need to use the 'C' versions.

But you are in luck as it is a 634D, as you can convert it to a 634C by writing a 3 to CV 8.

My MX632D says its MTC...

P_20170225_163637.jpg

Thats what mine says as well. Dapol digest also state zimo 'D' suffix as comparable. 

Presume this must be something to do with the function mapping they mentioned, but how do I do it and what values do I need to enter?