Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

I got my 68001 this morning as well and yes totally agree about how it was wrapped with only 1 layer of bubble wrap and brown paper around the box which I thought was quite poor and expected it to be in another box with the bubble or foam around the item, thus I held my breath when I started to unwrap the item and must admit Dapol's packaging is very good (nice strong box with foam insert) and love the limited edition artwork on the box it came in.

Anyway, took out the loco and wow what a model and totally intact with the nameplates perfectly placed with no glue marks and everything else where it should be, even the yellow ends are perfect...too be honest this is my first 68 and it's just simply stunning even with it's livery error down one side which will be quickly forgotten.

I have also ordered the 68005 with biffo sound from DC Kits which hasn't arrived yet but amazingly only payed £230 last Monday considering the prices that were being charged for the non-sound versions around the place, can't believe I managed to get one considering how late I was in purchasing thus have been very lucky.

Wow you were lucky to get bubble wrap as well as brown paper... I only got brown paper when I got my loco.

Just wondered if anyone who has received a 68001 Ltd Ed would be kind enough to put a couple of photos up of what you get etc, is it different to a standard loco, do you get a certificate as well?

Shame about the lack of outter box hopefully everyone gets their locos safely

Thanks

Mark

Just wondered if anyone who has received a 68001 Ltd Ed would be kind enough to put a couple of photos up of what you get etc, is it different to a standard loco, do you get a certificate as well?

Shame about the lack of outter box hopefully everyone gets their locos safely

Thanks

Mark

Will upload some pictures of 68001 tomorrow if nobody beats me too it. 

Craig

Thats what mine says as well. Dapol digest also state zimo 'D' suffix as comparable. 

Presume this must be something to do with the function mapping they mentioned, but how do I do it and what values do I need to enter?

That shows that it is a MTC 21 plug but it does not comply with the full NMRA MTC spec.

If you look at the ZIMO website the the 'D' versions are shown as MTC 21 pin plug, and the 'C' versions are shown as MTC 21 pin Interface, with FA3 and FA4 as logic level outputs.

So the 'C' version is to the NMRA spec and is what you need as the halo lights are wired for a logic level output with a negative common.

The DCC guide sheet Dapol include with the model also says mx644D, but that doesn't make it correct.

That shows that it is a MTC 21 plug but it does not comply with the full NMRA MTC spec.

If you look at the ZIMO website the the 'D' versions are shown as MTC 21 pin plug, and the 'C' versions are shown as MTC 21 pin Interface, with FA3 and FA4 as logic level outputs.

So the 'C' version is to the NMRA spec and is what you need as the halo lights are wired for a logic level output with a negative common.

The DCC guide sheet Dapol include with the model also says mx644D, but that doesn't make it correct.

Well if that's true then Dapol have screwed up even more. Not only have they provided models with incredible levels of dodgy parts and the well documented livery error  ie breakages at the factory which is obviously poor quality control but now by giving the incorrect information in their DCC decoder info they are additionally costing customers well in excess of £100 for a sound decoder that is not up to the job. Not very happy if that's the case (however I AM very happy with my 68007 as in every other way it arrived perfect).

I pre-ordered a sound fitted one, I only bought another when YouChoos released a sound chip and I decided I liked the sound of it so I thought why not fit one myself. The fact of the matter is John @ YouChoos is supplying the decoder recommended by Dapol in their locomotive instructions - so they are not only annoying their own customers by giving out dodgy information - but also a supplier down the chain who is then going to potentially also get it from customers as it is damaging to his reputation. That is completely unfair because hes a top bloke and always helps out when you ask questions and I have had at least 10 sound decoders from him now out of 20 sound fitted locos. Personally for me  I will live with it - but it doesn't make me keen on buying more Dapol stuff pre-order preferring to wait until problems are ironed out - if that means risking missing out then so be it. 

Having said that is their any way around the problem with the decoder without replacing it? Especially since it is provided with 8 normal output functions and 2 logic level outputs for servos / SUSI etc - can they be remapped?

Edited by spice1977

Guest Midland Mole

It does look like Dapol made more of an effort getting the nameplates right on the DRS limited edition. And the box is nice too. :)

Alex

• Like 1

It does look like Dapol made more of an effort getting the nameplates right on the DRS limited edition. And the box is nice too. :)

Alex

It does look that way doesn't it. I haven't tested this as of yet but can't complain about any paint or part issues (massive shame on the livery position error) In time, will send this off to have Biff sound added, wallet can't stretch that far at the mo, far too much being released that I fancy! lol. I suppose with the plates and parts it depends on the individual that is working on that particular loco. Some are better workers than others... I had some paintwork done on my car (supermarket car park incident) and it was fantastic! Couldn't tell that it had been damaged at all. A few weeks later, I scraped my bumper on a low wall (not happy) so took it back to the same place and got a less than impressed job done! It was all down to the painter, one guy did it the first time round and another guy did it the next time. 2 different painters - 2 completely different levels of workmanship! Same within Dapol factory I'd guess...

I hope DRS sort it out quickly for you as I imagine that they are the ones that put in the certificates

I hope so too. I have emailed them straight away. Thank you for the heads up! So excited about the loco I forgot to look at/for a certificate...

• RMweb Premium

Dapol have very nice packaging for their locomotives, if we were to judge model producers by their packaging then I'd put Dapol top of the pile for OO RTR suppliers. However, on the more important subject of what is inside the box this looks to be a superb model let down by some QC niggles. I don't want this to sound anti-Dapol as I think they are capable of making an outstanding product but they need to get a grip on QC. We saw with the Class 73 that what was fundamentally a superb model was let down by some poor colours and QC, it sounds like QC niggles are also letting at least some of the Class 68 models down too which is a real shame when they've done such a terrific job with the model.

Edited by jjb1970

• RMweb Gold

Dapol have very nice packaging for their locomotives, if we were to judge model producers by their packaging then I'd put Dapol top of the pile for OO RTR suppliers. However, on the more important subject of what is inside the box this looks to be a superb model let down by some QC niggles. I don't want this to sound anti-Dapol as I think they are capable of making an outstanding product but they need to get a grip on QC. We saw with the Class 73 that what was fundamentally a superb model was let down by somepoor colours and QC, it sounds like QC niggles are also letting at least some of the Class 68models down too which is a real shame when they've done such a terrific job with the model.

And if you get hands on with one,you will see that it actually is an outstanding model.Talking of QC niggles to put this one's into perspective cast your mind back a few years to the launch of its direct competitor ..the Hornby 67,the first batch of which was a QC nightmare which puts this model's problems into the small fry category .I have two 73 .Neither presented a QC issue on delivery or since.My new 68 is also just fine out of the box.QC issues are endemic across this hobby.Let's please keep this in proportion.

• Like 1

Completed the wiring bypass. Quite fiddly soldering onto the pins. Mostly works though for some reason I had to use function outputs 4/5 rather than 3/4 though they still map onto F3/4.

Im being a bit thick here sorry ... so can i just confirm that the ONLY way to get the lightsto operate as they should is to rewire the loco ? This can not be done with CV mapping on a six function decoder ?

• RMweb Premium

Im being a bit thick here sorry ... so can i just confirm that the ONLY way to get the lightsto operate as they should is to rewire the loco ? This can not be done with CV mapping on a six function decoder ?

The lights work fine with a Loksound chip, once the tiny switch three is moved on the circuit board to position 1. For six function decoders, I was trying a Zimo 634D yesterday and all except Halo were working (again once switch three out in right place). It seems a change to CV8 maybe all that is needed to get the Halos working (i.e. No rewiring) but I can't try as don't have a DCC controller set up at home.