Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

The lights work fine with a Loksound chip, once the tiny switch three is moved on the circuit board to position 1. For six function decoders, I was trying a Zimo 634D yesterday and all except Halo were working (again once switch three out in right place). It seems a change to CV8 maybe all that is needed to get the Halos working (i.e. No rewiring) but I can't try as don't have a DCC controller set up at home.

Ok thanks fot the reply .... so if this can be done with a CV change why on earth are people messing with wiring ??

The lights work fine with a Loksound chip, once the tiny switch three is moved on the circuit board to position 1. For six function decoders, I was trying a Zimo 634D yesterday and all except Halo were working (again once switch three out in right place). It seems a change to CV8 maybe all that is needed to get the Halos working (i.e. No rewiring) but I can't try as don't have a DCC controller set up at home.

Minehead was fine with a Loksound 4 and I also tried it with a Lokpilot Pilot 4 without issue. Make sure all the switches are as per the instructions.

• RMweb Premium

Went to my local Toy & Train fair at Hulme Hall, Port Sunlight this morning. Surprised to see in amongst all the tat, was a trader with a range of new Dapol locos & rolling stock, all at keen prices. He had a Chiltern 68 there for £125 which I thought very reasonable. Not surprisingly, it soon sold.

Edited by Scottish-Exile

I agree an outstanding model. However, the major livery error with the DRS models is more than a 'niggle' as it cannot be readily rectified. As with the 73s, a great loco spoilt by basic livery errors.

And if you get hands on with one,you will see that it actually is an outstanding model.Talking of QC niggles to put this one's into perspective cast your mind back a few years to the launch of its direct competitor ..the Hornby 67,the first batch of which was a QC nightmare which puts this model's problems into the small fry category .I have two 73 .Neither presented a QC issue on delivery or since.My new 68 is also just fine out of the box.QC issues are endemic across this hobby.Let's please keep this in proportion.

Edited by mevaman

Well, my Mk.III DVT has arrived. I haven’t had a go at removing the W&S lettering yet or making the cab light controllable by the decoder. It is a shame that there are no Chiltern Mk. III plug-door coaches available now. In the meantime I have had to improvise. Sorry about the poor photograph.

post-26289-0-75221800-1488125621.jpg

• Like 7

Im being a bit thick here sorry ... so can i just confirm that the ONLY way to get the lightsto operate as they should is to rewire the loco ? This can not be done with CV mapping on a six function decoder ?

Depends on the decoder. With the Zimo one I had, it was not capable to convert to a logic output.

The Lok decoders have F3/4 as logic outputs. Dapol seem to have noticed this so re-wired (from original spec) it so that it works with these more popular decoders.

Edited by centraltrains

Confession time. This morning the Sun shone with all its might (first time in ages, it seems) and there, underneath the table and in the carpet the missing light lens from Intrepid gleamed back at me. I’ve now restored it to its proper place and all is well.

Having spent some of the weekend mucking about with these, I am coming to like them more and more and that is from a starting high point.

• Like 5

Halo lights sorted now thanks to John @ YouChoos and all directional which is even better working off F4.

I see what he means about the two enamelled wires, Dapol have altered the circuit so that they work with the factory fitted sound decoders (Loksound) and logic level functions, disconnecting the two diodes from the circuit board (de-soldered at one end and twisted out of the way), by doing that they will only work with Loksound or a Zimo 644c decoder which can be either full power or logic level and not with the 644d which is full power only. By taking off the enamelled wires and re-seating the diodes all you are doing is returning the circuit board back to original spec which will work with the Zimo 644d but not Loksound as it is then at full power. 

Personally I am not totally sure the diodes have not been damaged by the factory process so I followed Johns advice and bypassed with wire rather than attempt to re-seat them.

Either way simplest solution is either use Loksound or if you prefer Zimo and don't wish to modify use the 644c and alter the F03 / F04 outputs to logic level as mentioned in other posts. So everyone can be happy and use their preferred sound decoder make.

• RMweb Premium

My DRS Limited Edition 68 001 arrived today. Despite the somewhat inferior wrapping it arrived intact. Nameplates are straight, no glue smudges and valance securely fitted. No lose or broken bits and the certificate (66/350 - if only it had been 68/350!) in the box.

Livery fault aside I'm delighted with it. It can top & tail with my Scotrail version. I'll just need to troll Fickr to see if such a combination was ever prototypical ;)

Edited by Scottish-Exile
  • Like 3

Well done ... re-numbering is something I would like to have a go at but I have no confidence really that I wouldn't completely cock it up ... I have a few locos that I need to renumber but just parked it indefinitely ...  :)

Edited by Anthony566
  • Like 1

Well done ... re-numbering is something I would like to have a go at but I have no confidence really that I wouldn't completely cock it up ... I have a few locos that I need to renumber but just parked it indefinitely ...  :)

Have a go, Anthony. If you mask off around the old number with some decent masking tape before starting, you shouldn't damage the body away from the numbers and once you've put the new transfers on, you won't be able to see where you removed the old number from anyway.

It's simples once you've tried it, honest (maybe start on an older loco though to begin with)

• RMweb Premium

Well done ... re-numbering is something I would like to have a go at but I have no confidence really that I wouldn't completely cock it up ... I have a few locos that I need to renumber but just parked it indefinitely ... :)

I had some old coaches lying around that were gonna be binned that I used for practise. Once youve done a few it will be like second nature. Everyone has to start somewhere.

I know I have pull this thread off topic ( Sorry ) but my final stupid question ... were do we get the right size and colour numbers from for loco's and even coaches .... I have 6 or 7 HST's with full coach rakes that I had always thought that I would re number and letter at some point :)

Edited by Anthony566

Many packs available off the shelf and if you there isn't what you want there are a couple of suppliers who do custom order services. The 68's above were completed using Railtec decals. Also whilst on that the process I use is slightly different to that one mentioned by Waverley West but sure everyone has there own way.

1) dismantle body, remove glazing. ( if glazing can't be removed use either masking tape or maskol to cover)

2) t-cut / cotton bud method used to remove unwanted factory printed decals

3) body washed in warm soapy water to remove any trace of t-cut / greasy finger prints. Left to throughly dry.

4) coat of gloss varnish

5) apply decals

6) coat of Matt / satin varnish depending on preference.

For me the gloss coat is essential as it helps disguise any carrier film from decal carrier film.

Find something cheap / old and have a go. As said above everyone has to start somewhere

I have yet to see the real thing but, having seen the Chiltern liveried one in Walton's and having some 'Spare', I got it.

Beautiful finish, smooth running and almost totally silent.

She is now run in and I can break out the Hornby 'Wrexham and Shropshire' coaches. Not right, I know, but impressive!

Well done Dapol, this latest locomotive carries on my satisfaction with this manufacturers products.

I run a 6300 and a green 731. Both have been exemplary runners, I have really used them too! I realise the posts of certain members of this forum have 'Had A Go'!! but I am well satisfied.

One thing, I'm an old school analogue modeller running straight DC controllers.

Well done Dapol.  

• RMweb Premium

6) coat of Matt / satin varnish depending on preference.

My turn for a newbies question. Are you varnishing the whole loco bodyside, or just the area over the new numbers? I guess it's airbrush if the former and paint brush if the latter?

• RMweb Gold

Hi,reevesthecat. I've just checked Hatton's, and they have the sound fitted 68's in Chiltern and Scotrail liveries. Priced at £247.48. They arrived today. There are only a few left of each one, so be quick if you would like one of them! I hope this is of help.

Best regards,

Rob.