Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

The locos are even running on UK metals now and I would really have hoped and expected Dapol might be a little more dynamic given the opportunity they have to produce an exclusive model of a brand new loco in two scales.

Roy

Perhaps a little unfair to leap to conclusions without knowing the facts?  Have you considered that there is equally a chance that Dapol may simply be waiting on DRS to provide some vital information/data with regard to the development of the model? 

While it is understandable that this model may well be a high priority for Dapol, it may well not hold as much urgency for DRS, who I would imagine are far more busy managing their own real-life operations.  It's also perhaps unfair to compare with Bachmann's Class 70, as after all that was in conjunction with a completely different organization, ie. Freightliner, who for all we know may well be more "on the ball" than perhaps DRS when it comes to model trains.  Of course, none of this may actually be the case, but in short what I'm stating is that situations aren't always necessarily what they at first appear.

Edited by darkjunglemung
  • Like 1

Perhaps a little unfair to leap to conclusions without knowing the facts?  Have you considered that there is equally a chance that Dapol may simply be waiting on DRS to provide some vital information/data with regard to the development of the model? 

While it is understandable that this model may well be a high priority for Dapol, it may well not hold as much urgency for DRS, who I would imagine are far more busy managing their own real-life operations.  It's also perhaps unfair to compare with Bachmann's Class 70, as after all that was in conjunction with a completely different organization, ie. Freightliner, who for all we know may well be more "on the ball" than perhaps DRS when it comes to model trains.  Of course, none of this may actually be the case, but in short what I'm stating is that situations aren't always necessarily what they at first appear.

I could not agree with you more.

No doubt over the coming months we shall have links to/previews of the CAD and EP examples.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hopefully Dapol will emerge from a rather troubled period, it looks like the O gauge Terriers are finally about to land (and at the price will I think draw a few into trying O gauge), the N gauge Southern coaches have finally arrived and these shots of the 68 show great promise. I wish them every success!

I highly suspect anyone attending Alexandra Palace show in a few weeks shall be pleased with the Dapol news on the Class 68.

Here are a couple of photos I took today at Alexandra Palace on my phone. Sorry for the (lack of) quality

Edwin C

Few! I was glad the 3D print was there, having seen it a few weeks ago, wonderful looking model. I am told the side grills shall be deepened, where fans and so forth are.

Dapol also said it is now in tooling, so certainly further on than you shall imagine :)

With now three different liveries, and the next four names announced in the Railway Magazine (One was 'Fearless' - the others I forget) the Dapol model is going to hopefully be a very welcomed edition to our layouts.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robert55012/16790247947/

Edited by 159220

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for letting us know that its now in tolling. That's quite far on from what I thought as well considering that we have just started the second quarter and their is still another eight/nine months before the rumoured release date.

I do wonder what liveries will be released in 00 Gauge and the running names and numbers.

It stands to reason that their must be one DRS liveried one because the photo on the Ehattons pre-order page is 68002. Other than that I am not sure if the Silver Chiltern livery or the new Scotrail livery which has been applied to 68006 and 68007 will appear as will Dapol have the Licence and appropriate permission etc from Chiltern and Scotrail to have their livery and logos applied to these models?

I am hoping although nothing is confirmed that their are at least two DRS liveried running numbers and names produced in 00 Gauge because I will definitely buy more than one if they are available.

• RMweb Premium

Call me a cynic, but I can't for a second believe Dapol will actually get this out by the end of this year! I don't think they've ever managed to hit a proposed timescale have they!?

I hope I'm wrong, the 3D print looks great.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Possibly not out by the end of this year but its just the rumoured release date with nothing official having been announced by Dapol.

But when you consider that 68002 has already been in the UK more than a year and by the time this year comes to an end it will have been here nearly two years, surely in that context the models won't be far off arrival at Christmas 2015 or if not maybe early next year.

Comparing to the Freightliner Class 70 numbers 70001 & 70002 arrived in the UK on 8th November 2009 and I bought the 00 Gauge model of 70006 in February 2011. This means that it only took Bachmann 16 months from the arrival of the first two locos in the UK to the item been available in 00 Gauge. I would like to think that with Dapol having 23 months from February 2014 when 68002 arrived until December this 2015 when the rumoured release date it that this is ample time to have the 00 Gauge model produced and available. They will have had an extra 7 months compared to Bachmann with the Freightliner 70.

It's good to see the progress with the 68 and I'm sure its further on than we are aware of from things I've heard. I'd rather Dapol take their time to produce the very best model they can the definitive model of the class in both scales and DRS and Scotrail livery would both be popular from my point of view.

All the best

Mark

• Like 1

They have got permission to do the Chiltern silver ones.

Especially as I'm have put across my argument for me to get one of the promotional ones from work :) just have to wait and see if it was successful!

Alistair

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes I completely agree after all it cannot be easy trying to create a model of a brand new class of loco in both scales at the same time.

Although I haven't got the appropriate coaching stock I would be tempted to buy a ScotRail and Chiltern Class 68 as I do quite like the liveries. The ScotRail livery looks very impressive from the pictures I have seen and the Chiltern ones do look smart in the silver. In theory though I could buy a Chiltern 68 to run on freight trains as a number of them have debuted on stone trains including 010, 011, 013,015. Not sure about 012 and 014.

Hope you manage to get one from work!

As the ScotRail livery has only been apparent for a few days I wonder if they will appear on the model 68s at the same time as the DRS and Chiltern livery does?