Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Hi Nick,

Thanks mate, will take a look.

Cheers

Steve

I actually don't have anything wrong with the function keys controlling the lighting.

Ok last night wasn't a good time to test my relatively cheap 68002 with Sound from the Dapol stand at Ally Pally as I was a bit tipsy after having a few beers when I got home & having a headache from walking around all-day as well, anyway what I realised today with a clearer mind is that at the No:2 end I think the light bulbs have sunken lower than the lenses hence why I couldn't see any active lights or them changing to the functions on the controller, I can just see them light up upon closer inspection.

The other thing I noticed my valance at No:1 end is in the bag & not fitted thus I think I was sold a returned item (obviously) and the previous owner had taken off the body and probably did some fiddling and when putting the body back on has misaligned the lighting at one end for whatever reason this may have occurred, anyway the lighting functions appear to be working ok but can't be bothered right now to fix the lighting alignment at No:2 end.

• RMweb Premium

Straight nameplates and no glue marks on my 68.....

post-408-0-97515300-1490568348_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Brian at Shawplan. (For the plates - not for fitting them!)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

F0 light engine mode. This works exactly like any other loco. Reds and whites switch automatically.

F14 Halo lights .

F19 Train mode, train at #1 end. No lights next to the train. Lights st the opposite end reverse automatically when pulling or propelling. Directional sounds (eg horns) only play when loco is leading. Halo lights can be added with F14 (when loco is leading).

F20 Train mode, train at #2 end. As above but the other way round.

F21 Red tail lights both ends.

All the above are correct with a Loksound V4 chip.

So if you have a Bachmann EZ Command DCC controller with functions F0 to F9, you're stuffed?

• RMweb Gold

I'm hopefully going to fit my Biffo chip fitted into my DRS 68 this week, having received it over the weekend it's given me a bit more motivation to complete the track laying on the layout so i can give it a good run!

• Like 1

I'm hopefully going to fit my Biffo chip fitted into my DRS 68 this week, having received it over the weekend it's given me a bit more motivation to complete the track laying on the layout so i can give it a good run!

Hi Jim not sure if you have seen how Charlie fits the sound chip in the 68 but he removes the pcb screws and slides it forward a bit so the chip sits flatter with the pcb and i imagine reduces stress on the pins.

Had a strange response from Olivias this weekend, saying 'We now have all the recordings for the 68 and have sent them to our sound guy who will be putting the project together over the next few weeks'

I thought I was buying a factory sound fitted loco? Obviously not  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Had a strange response from Olivias this weekend, saying 'We now have all the recordings for the 68 and have sent them to our sound guy who will be putting the project together over the next few weeks'

I thought I was buying a factory sound fitted loco? Obviously not :scratchhead:

That is why I prefer to always buy non-sound and fit my own - I know exactly what I am getting. Personally I am not a fan of Olivia's sounds.

Roy

Guest Midland Mole

That is why I prefer to always buy non-sound and fit my own - I know exactly what I am getting. Personally I am not a fan of Olivia's sounds.

Roy

I find Olivia's sounds very hit and miss. I have a Class 150 with sound by Olivia's and it sounds really good, just as I remember travelling on the real things. But then other versions of their sounds I have heard sound either strange or too artificial. I think it helps if you get to hear their sounds in the flesh before you buy. :)

Alex

Make sure switch 3 is in position 1

Thanks Nick - my DCC fitted one despite being supplied fitted had the switch in wrong position - throwing to position 1 now means all lights work as they should.  My self fitted MX644D (remapped to C) decoder is another matter... random collection of lighting effects would be best way of describing and switches all in right positions... I am regretting the price I paid for that decoder - would have probably gotten similar output from a £10 hattons decoder

• Like 1

Thanks Nick - my DCC fitted one despite being supplied fitted had the switch in wrong position - throwing to position 1 now means all lights work as they should.  My self fitted MX644D (remapped to C) decoder is another matter... random collection of lighting effects would be best way of describing and switches all in right positions... I am regretting the price I paid for that decoder - would have probably gotten similar output from a £10 hattons decoder

Thanks for posting Matt, glad you said that as mine was in position 2, not 1. Can't check function 2 yet as prodigy advance 2 but all the others seem to work but... function 1 when I go into push mode (coupled on end 2), the cab light comes on... presume its not meant to do that? I don't want to go reprogramming functions 1 or 2 until I'm fairly sure the others are correct. 

Also need to have a go at reprogramming my zimo MX634D decoder - won't be able to for a week or 2. I know a guy on you tube has re-programed on.

Thanks

Ali

This is the detail for re-programming the Zimo MX634D 21 pin MTC

CV8 set to 3

CV430 set to 1
CV432 set to 2
CV434 set to 1

CV436 set to 2
CV438 set to 3
CV440 set to 4

CV35 set to 0
CV36 set to 0
CV37 set to 0
CV38 set to 0

This should now give you working Halo lights at both ends of your class 68 loco.

The detail for the re-programing came from Digitrains so a big thanks to them for that.

The two latest 68s have been moved to Kingmoor from the dock today, and with them both being unbranded, could we see a new livery on these two?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/britishrail1980sand1990s/32899446354/in/photostream/

It is possible that DRS want to apply the livery themselves, but it seems to be a different shade of blue. Maybe they're applying the Dapol version with offset transfers so their ltd. ed. is correct? :jester:

Thanks,

Jack.

• RMweb Premium

The two latest 68s have been moved to Kingmoor from the dock today, and with them both being unbranded, could we see a new livery on these two?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/britishrail1980sand1990s/32899446354/in/photostream/

It is possible that DRS want to apply the livery themselves, but it seems to be a different shade of blue. Maybe they're applying the Dapol version with offset transfers so their ltd. ed. is correct? :jester:

Thanks,

Jack.

The previous unbranded ones were in what appears to be the same shade as the new arrivals.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60628514@N02/25771292054/in/photolist-RsqDtm-Jz8qS7-FXfufP-FUWois-FXYupx-GbLrDc-FBAFCN-FgjBgC-G3BcFW-FVRw9k-G3Bf3E-FPK2JS-FgvmWc-MrRADy

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Aren't some of the Class 68's destined for the Northen Belle and Trans-Pennine?

68s are already used with the Northern Belle - there were no plans to put a dedicated livery on them like the 47s and 57s.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Just done a bit of research.

57305 and 57312 had been repainted into Northern Belle livery by October 2014. From what I remember 305 was first and 312 was second. 305 went back into traffic in October 2014 and 312 was back in traffic in December 2014 I think. So they have only been in Northern Belle livery for around two and a half years. 312 has only been in traffic for just over two years wearing the livery. I personally wouldn't say that in just over done two years DRS would be prepared to stand them down from service and repaint 68s in Northern Belle livery yet. This may come next year or maybe the year after I reckon but I wouldn't think so now. After all DRS need to supply two 68s for ScotRail, between five and seven 68s to Chiltern and at least thirteen 68s for TPE soon as well as having some spare for themselves. I wouldn't think they would want to designate two 68s to wearing Northern Belle livery and to working the Northern Belle at this stage. Not considering that 305 and 312 seem to be working ok.

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission

• RMweb Premium

From WNXX website "There's *rumours* that even more Class 68s are going to be ordered". Which will have a knock on effect for older DRS traction, more 37's going? 

I would think that 602, 603, 604, 605, 606 and 609 will all be sold following the other 37/6s.

I heard that two of these were just been kept for test train duties until the end of March. Considering that the Colas 67s and NR 97/3s are now working test trains this lessens the need for hiring in DRS locos.

From what I know 37403 is only on hire and some 37/4s haven't been too reliable recently. 401, 402, 403, 405, 409, 422 and 424 have all been problematic recently.

Could 68s operate the Norwich short set/s and Cumbrian Coast Loco Hauled Services fully...

Like the brake disc transfers but for an idiot like me how easy or hard is it to take the wheels off the bogie to put the transfers on?

Just taken a quick look at my 68 loco and it wouldn't appear easy and to me looks like you have to dismantle each bogie, would love to hear anyone's advice on the matter.

Cheers

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it strange how once reliable loco's suddenly become unreliable! ??    Colas surely have got to take the honour for having the greatest variety of operational loco's...??

Yes it's a real shame that with 27 68s currently in the country and more on order and 10 88s that the older DRS traction looks like it will be sold on, used as spares donors or scrapped.

I really wish that DRS would have overhauled the 14 37/6s and other 37s but I suppose the cost to do that just isn't financially viable and with Colas now having their own fleet of 37s to use on Network Rail test trains it means that they rarely require to hire in DRS locos.

It's really sad and a big change in the times.