Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Just a guess but it could be that there just weren't enough DCC27 decoders available at the time Dapol wanted them.  Alternative theory is that the price of the TCS was more favourable.

These things happen.  I've had no problems with either make.

Les

I would guess that it is fitted with a tcs decoder because the gaugemaster DCC27 has only four functions compared to eight on the tcs to allow all of the lights to operate properly.

• Like 1

So following up on the Railtec transfers, I've had a go.

Two versions, both have the outer edge of the wheel and the inner painted with frame dirt.

V1 has the brake disk face "as is"

post-1261-0-56577900-1491922839_thumb.jpg

V2 has the brake disc polished up (2500 grit):

post-1261-0-88848200-1491922900_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking the polished up version is more realistic.

The transfers themselves are (in my view) tricky to apply, I've ruined at least 4 now, BUT when you hit on the technique they are fine and they do make the model look waaay better, if that's possible.

• Like 7

So following up on the Railtec transfers, I've had a go.

Two versions, both have the outer edge of the wheel and the inner painted with frame dirt.

V1 has the brake disk face "as is"

IMG_0505.JPG

V2 has the brake disc polished up (2500 grit):

IMG_0503.JPG

I'm thinking the polished up version is more realistic.

The transfers themselves are (in my view) tricky to apply, I've ruined at least 4 now, BUT when you hit on the technique they are fine and they do make the model look waaay better, if that's possible.

That looks really good. I have done one of mine but as you say a tricky job.

One more little job you can do to improve things is to paint the visible parts of the pickups black so they don't show through the bogie frames (not the bit that touches the wheels though

... The smallest of details yet such a massive difference/improvement!

As models get closer to replicating the prototype, small deviations which would pass unnoticed on a lesser model start to become very apparent. For my money, the glaring item which needs tackling amidst all the other refinements are coupler systems. Of the RTR autocoupler choices for HO and OO it's the Kadee (and clones) where that suits, and that's it.

Well did have one for a short period of time. As got it from Parents/ Brother for Birthday. But had to be sent back due to various issues, such as Some sound functions not working when others were enabled (Engine and Horn) Halo lights not working one end etc.

Ashame as looked like a fantastic model (Daring i had) Sadly Hattons have none in stock, so waiting time now.

I finally got the chance to have a full day running my 68 with 8 JNA, a YOB Crane and OBA wagons. Dapol have done a great job with these loco's, I didn't have one problem at all with the loco and had it running at full speed and down to a crawl and it did it's job effortlessly.

Thanks Dapol.

That looks really good. I have done one of mine but as you say a tricky job.

One more little job you can do to improve things is to paint the visible parts of the pickups black so they don't show through the bogie frames (not the bit that touches the wheels though

It's good to see the results that folks are achieving. These brake disc transfers do require a little more extra care than the rest of the range due to the fact that they have to be hollow in the middle so that they can be seamlessly placed over the wheelsets, leaving the inner part of the wheel untouched. A couple of spares are included in each pack just in case, but when it comes to application the best method is just to place the transfer almost in situ and then remove the backing paper, as opposed to place the transfer next to the wheel and then move the actual transfer (so a bit like the tablecloth routine except not quite as fast and without Debbie McGee stood behind you). I had mine all done in less than 5 minutes. If folks need more of these than what are currently showing in stock, it's no problem to make as many as required.

I ask a same question on Dapol Digest and my account is banned! - Why?

attachicon.gifDapol.JPG

Too be honest I don't touch the Dapol Digest unless you post nice fluffy comments, I get the impression Dapol like to immune themselves from criticism and to date have got away with quite a lot of tooling & livery errors...let me see Class 73, Class 68, Freightliner MJA's and from what I've seen of the latest DRS IDA Wagons the buffer positioning seems to be off.

Like to see how far Dapol push their customers over the edge before they reform their QC & tooling standards considering the technology at their disposal and the prices charged for the product.

With the quality & livery errors with the 68 would you???

Really what quality errors? and more than one livery error you say?

I ask because I think it strange that Dapol did not put a name on what could be the best ever OO model made.

But I think more it is because the model is made by someone else for them or maybe it is to make the moulds easier to sell to whoever will make the class 88? Because since they have announced many cancellations due to finance?

Still It is very strange I was banned just for making one post asking a simple question, also it was friendly and congratulated the model.

Really what quality errors? and more than one livery error you say?

I ask because I think it strange that Dapol did not put a name on what could be the best ever OO model made.

But I think more it is because the model is made by someone else for them or maybe it is to make the moulds easier to sell to whoever will make the class 88? Because since they have announced many cancellations due to finance?

Still It is very strange I was banned just for making one post asking a simple question, also it was friendly and congratulated the model.

You must have been hiding under a rock for the past few months and I'm quite surprised you don't know anything about the Quality Control issues with the Class 68, ok here are a few examples;

1. the blue/green swoosh on one side of the loco is completely mis-aligned thus quite a major livery error

2. yellow warning panel paint around the light clusters not exactly applied with precision

3. nameplates applied in a crooked fashion, glue marks present around the nameplates

3. Messy PCB boards in regards to wiring and issues fitting sound unless you really know what you are doing

4. Minor but a lot of reported issues of bits falling off the loco during delivery

I had purchased all 3 Class 68 DRS variants thus yes I did overlook the issues because I agree it is still the best looking model to be recently released but Dapol need to take a good long hard look at their quality control before they do another batch of products.

Suggest you google or search these forums for more specific details & photos on the above but they are quite well documented.

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Premium

If they have banned you for asking such a simple question , I think you have to ask is it the sort of forum I'd want to join? You'll probably get much better feedback and information on here.

I ask a same question on Dapol Digest and my account is banned! - Why?

attachicon.gifDapol.JPG

My suggestion is contact Neil or Joel if you really want to know. Because I have a feeling that you may have just been a victim of misinterpretation. It is highly possible that your post was made at the time when there were a high rise the number of fake accounts. Therefore they were on high alert and any post that may have been worded funnily got a ban with them feeling that your account could've been a fake one created just to cause a bit of trouble.

If it's possible can you tell us exactly what you posted?

Too be honest I don't touch the Dapol Digest unless you post nice fluffy comments, I get the impression Dapol like to immune themselves from criticism and to date have got away with quite a lot of tooling & livery errors.

Problem is that there's a lot of people who feel they're perfect and that mistakes shouldn't happen. At the end of the day mistakes do happen. I've never found Dapol likely to only want nice fluffy comments. The problem lies in the fact that people who've discovered an issue erupt and go wild. There's always better ways to put points across. But so many people lack a certain ethic when it comes to communicating.

So I'll politely disagree with that, they are open to constructive criticism they just don't want rude and rough comments.

I remember Simon Kohler once say that he was approached by a man who was very harsh and questioned him regarding the Hornby GWR Star Class being recalled because the wheels on the pony truck had the wrong number of spokes. Yes one man wanted the entire batch to be recalled for that minor issue.

• Like 2

Because joining the Dapol Digest take so long and is complicated (1st I had to join, then wait to get an email to confirm myself, confirm my email, then I wait about 5 days for an administrator to authorize my application), I actually posted here before I posted on the Digest.

I suppose that caused bad feeling? My post and account was deleted/banned within 1 hour very fast.

My question was simple 

Hi, I think your Class 68 model is the most accurate and successful OO model ever. Many people have agreed.

But I do not understand if there a reason that you have not put your name to this success by putting your company name and other legal marks like CE on the base of your class 68 model?

Now it looks like they are not making more, I think the reason is to make it more attractive for buyers of the mould, but isn't there a need for legal markings in anycase?

Have they said they are not making any more 68's ???? 

Did I miss a post with this detail in ?

This is taken from a post I had on the Digest and was only two days ago ...

"         

Joel Dapol commented
2 days ago
Editing a comment
The numbers and models have been chosen and we will be making this information available very soon."

So this to me is clear detail that more Class 68's WILL be produced with different running numbers.
Edited by Anthony566

Because joining the Dapol Digest take so long and is complicated (1st I had to join, then wait to get an email to confirm myself, confirm my email, then I wait about 5 days for an administrator to authorize my application), I actually posted here before I posted on the Digest.

I suppose that caused bad feeling? My post and account was deleted/banned within 1 hour very fast.

My question was simple 

Hi, I think your Class 68 model is the most accurate and successful OO model ever. Many people have agreed.

But I do not understand if there a reason that you have not put your name to this success by putting your company name and other legal marks like CE on the base of your class 68 model?

Now it looks like they are not making more, I think the reason is to make it more attractive for buyers of the mould, but isn't there a need for legal markings in anycase?

You seem to be saying a few things here.... so when did you apply for the authorisation for the Dapol digest? Could it have been the case you applied over Easter, when every where would be closed? Your first post on here ties in with Easter....

What makes you say they are not making any more? My understanding is that Dapol will be producing another batch at the end of the year...there will be several references to this in the previous pages on this thread.... their announcement of a couple of futiure releases being cancelled or postponed made no reference to the class 68...

Are they selling the molds? What makes you say that?

My 2 class 68's are quite obviously from Dapol....it says so all over the boxes and paperwork....so I think it's not fair to say that they are not putting there name to the model.... though I haven't, to be honest examined the base of the chassis or the insides in any great detail....

Problem is that there's a lot of people who feel they're perfect and that mistakes shouldn't happen. At the end of the day mistakes do happen. I've never found Dapol likely to only want nice fluffy comments. The problem lies in the fact that people who've discovered an issue erupt and go wild. There's always better ways to put points across. But so many people lack a certain ethic when it comes to communicating.

So I'll politely disagree with that, they are open to constructive criticism they just don't want rude and rough comments.

I remember Simon Kohler once say that he was approached by a man who was very harsh and questioned him regarding the Hornby GWR Star Class being recalled because the wheels on the pony truck had the wrong number of spokes. Yes one man wanted the entire batch to be recalled for that minor issue.

Yeah agree you have to be respectful and apply constructive criticism but still leaves Dapol to cherry pick what they like to post on their forum which is the impression I got when I browsed the Dapol Digest hence why I decided not to join and just keep to RMWEB where I feel there is more open discussion. One thing, I am never rude or rough within my posts but will tell it straight as I hold no allegiance to any one company as long as they are producing quality products and learning from their mistakes which I feel Dapol are struggling with thus overshadowing their excellent products with the 68 being the perfect case in point.

Also agree people shouldn't really nit pick very minor detail flaws and demand a recall which is ridiculous but the ones I mentioned were pretty major and just hope those are fully rectified in the next batch of 68's and that future models like the upcoming Class 59 don't suffer from the same fate.

• RMweb Premium

I commented on the Dapol Digest a few months ago and asked how many Class 68s will be produced.

The response that I got was that all liveries, running numbers and names will be produced in time. It was suggested that three or four locos/models would be produced per year.

It was also suggested that other liveries would be produced including TPE and Northern Belle if they are applied to the locos in reality.

It's been suggested that their will be another batch of 68s produced this year.

I wouldn't worry if you have missed the first batch of 68s because from what I was told every running number will be produced over time.

Hope this helps.

With regards to the Dapol Digest, the one good thing is that when a post has been made that has breached the forum rules and regulations, the post is deleted. However whilst the actual content from the post isn't visible anymore, the post is however shortened with a note stating who posted it, who deleted it and the reasons as to why it was deleted.

In the Class 68 thread (the most recent and active one) the comments removed were all the way back on 9th February. Those posts have been deleted and users banned, but there's still a notification showing

However there's a post made by someone also by the name of Aegeus Christopoulos but that's in the Dapol N gauge West Country thread. This post was made 4 weeks ago.

post-27484-0-43682900-1492766639_thumb.jpg

And information for the general public issued by Joel on the digest:-

No information about the livery being corrected or not, but I think it's safe to assume that it will be corrected. The incorrect green fade on the DRS models just seem to be misaligned and I am sure it's a simple fix.

The numbers and models have been chosen and we will be making this information available very soon.

We are working on printed undersized plates with etched ones in the bag.