Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

And information for the general public issued by Joel on the digest:-

No information about the livery being corrected or not, but I think it's safe to assume that it will be corrected. The incorrect green fade on the DRS models just seem to be misaligned and I am sure it's a simple fix.

I can't wait and again will purchase all DRS liveried 68's to add to my DRS fleet which is looking ridiculously large, planning to build a DRS TMD in the future and probably will need to be as big as Kingmoor  :O

• Like 3

I can't wait and again will purchase all DRS liveried 68's to add to my DRS fleet which is looking ridiculously large, planning to build a DRS TMD in the future and probably will need to be as big as Kingmoor  :O

I am a DRS fan boy too! But only my dreams can remain that big...I patiently await the N gauge Class 68.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Same here!

I can't wait for more DRS liveried Class 68s and hopefully 88s too.

I am a DRS fan boy too! But only my dreams can remain that big...I patiently await the N gauge Class 68.

Same again.

I am a big DRS fan too.

• Like 1

Same here!

I can't wait for more DRS liveried Class 68s and hopefully 88s too.

Same again.

I am a big DRS fan too.

Damn I forgot about the 88's and wishing for a pair of 68's in Northern Belle livery in prototypical form and as a 00 gauge model...I'm salivating on the keyboard lol.

Last count I have 14 DRS loco's modelling from 2012 in various forms of the Compass livery...love it  :sungum:

Edited by classy52
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Damn I forgot about the 88's and wishing for a pair of 68's in Northern Belle livery in prototypical form and as a 00 gauge model...I'm salivating on the keyboard lol.

Last count I have 14 DRS loco's modelling from 2012 in various forms of the Compass livery...love it  :sungum:

Same again haha.

68s in Northern Belle livery would look fantastic. Hopefully this will happen to a pair of them in reality and then hopefully Dapol will model them.

I haven't yet bought any locos in DRS Blue with the DRS lettering on. However Kernow have just announced a Limited Edition 37261 model. It looks very good.

That might have to be another loco to go onto the "I would like" list haha.

• Like 1

Same again haha.

68s in Northern Belle livery would look fantastic. Hopefully this will happen to a pair of them in reality and then hopefully Dapol will model them.

I haven't yet bought any locos in DRS Blue with the DRS lettering on. However Kernow have just announced a Limited Edition 37261 model. It looks very good.

That might have to be another loco to go onto the "I would like" list haha.

Yeah the latest DRS Ltd Edition from Kernow is unfortunately not within my era thus will not be buying that one as I model from 2012 onwards only.

I was actually hoping Kernow would do a 37 in the new Compass Livery but one can only hope...

• RMweb Premium

Yeah the latest DRS Ltd Edition from Kernow is unfortunately not within my era thus will not be buying that one as I model from 2012 onwards only.

I was actually hoping Kernow would do a 37 in the new Compass Livery but one can only hope...

The DRS Blue with the DRS lettering isn't really my era either. I just thought about buying it to add another DRS loco to the fleet and it's another 37 and I did quite like 261.

Hopefully more DRS 37s will be produced in the future.

The 2 DRS class 68's that recently arrived in the UK in plain blue livery 68026 & 68027 now have their decals applied which is the 'basic' style DRS branding as applied to the Class 66s something different for Dapol to release.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The 2 DRS class 68's that recently arrived in the UK in plain blue livery 68026 & 68027 now have their decals applied which is the 'basic' style DRS branding as applied to the Class 66s something different for Dapol to release.

I was going to post this earlier but I forgot :no: 

I searched on Flickr to see if their was any photos of either of them but I can't see anything as yet.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the basic livery looks like applied to the Class 68.

Hopefully it won't be long before Northern Belle and TPE liveries are applied to the Class 68s.

• Like 2

If anyone has pics, do share it!

• Like 1

If anyone has pics, do share it!

• Like 1

Temporary livery until the latest April 2018. No point in spending on vinyl's now when they would be replaced by TPE vinyl in less than 12 months.

Northern Belle? No 68s going Northern Belle. The 57/3s are the NB locomotives, and the 57/3 fleet is going no where. 68s used by other charters who hire out the NB set/or NB using them on certain routes where the 68s are of benefit.

I would rather Dapol focus on a couple more full livery DRS on the 68s than a livery which shall unlikely last the time before they hit the shops!

Says a lot for the market for contemporary locos, when a company came make a fair few mistakes, glue nameplates on with play dough and they still sell out !

Only because it was a completely new model of an up to date current modern image loco, if it was a previously tooled loco with just a different livery application then things could have been very different with their sales.

Dapol dodged the proverbial bullet on the 68 but they can't afford to make same mistakes again unless modelers once again are forgiving, great thing for Dapol they just walked away and counted their takings on this one...I'll let everyone else judge whether that is right or wrong.

Says a lot for the market for contemporary locos, when a company came make a fair few mistakes, glue nameplates on with play dough and they still sell out !

I think the truth is, as with any hobby/interest, there is a broad spectrum of people involved. There are some on here for whom perfection would be just not good enough, and at the other extreme there are those on here who are only too happy to defend the indefensable. Obviously enough people felt that, on balance, the Dapol 68 was good enough to justify them spending their cash on it. It is a brand new model and I suspect/hope that Dapol will take on board the (constructive) criticisms it has undoubtedly received, and the next batches of these locomotives will be better. Unfortunately I also suspect that the price for future batches will be even higher, putting it further out of reach for the likes of me. It is this latter point that I would be inclined to take issue with manufacturers for. I can accept that the initial R&D and tooling costs mean that first run models will carry a premium in order to try to recover these costs. What I don't understand, or accept, are manufacturers (who shall remain nameless - as I don't want to upset the "defend the indefensable" brigade on here!) who are still producing models, for which the design and tooling must be more than 10 years old by now, and selling them at more than twice the price of the original models. Lame arguments about "increased costs in China" regurgitated by some on here are simply buying into the propoganda produced by said manufacturers to justify grossly inflated prices being asked of modellers compared to the REAL "increased costs in China". In the last few years the only new wagons that I have been buying are Dapol wagons, as I feel they represent (to me at least) the best balance of quality and price. Looking at the prices of the new/forthcoming releases from other manufacturers suggest that my buying preferences are not about to change any day soon.   

I think the truth is, as with any hobby/interest, there is a broad spectrum of people involved. There are some on here for whom perfection would be just not good enough, and at the other extreme there are those on here who are only too happy to defend the indefensable. Obviously enough people felt that, on balance, the Dapol 68 was good enough to justify them spending their cash on it. It is a brand new model and I suspect/hope that Dapol will take on board the (constructive) criticisms it has undoubtedly received, and the next batches of these locomotives will be better. Unfortunately I also suspect that the price for future batches will be even higher, putting it further out of reach for the likes of me. It is this latter point that I would be inclined to take issue with manufacturers for. I can accept that the initial R&D and tooling costs mean that first run models will carry a premium in order to try to recover these costs. What I don't understand, or accept, are manufacturers (who shall remain nameless - as I don't want to upset the "defend the indefensable" brigade on here!) who are still producing models, for which the design and tooling must be more than 10 years old by now, and selling them at more than twice the price of the original models. Lame arguments about "increased costs in China" regurgitated by some on here are simply buying into the propoganda produced by said manufacturers to justify grossly inflated prices being asked of modellers compared to the REAL "increased costs in China". In the last few years the only new wagons that I have been buying are Dapol wagons, as I feel they represent (to me at least) the best balance of quality and price. Looking at the prices of the new/forthcoming releases from other manufacturers suggest that my buying preferences are not about to change any day soon.

Well, yes, if you want the latest model of the latest loco, you don't have much choice.

Please please let's not go down the well trodden path of " jeez aren't models " expensive again. That's for another place

An update on the 68 area on the Dapol Digest ...

"Joel Dapol commented

4 days ago

We are working on printed undersized plates with etched ones in the bag"

This is all very positive stuff really but im sure some wont agree :)

I am really looking forward to the next DRS batch.

• Like 1

An update on the 68 area on the Dapol Digest ...

"Joel Dapol commented

4 days ago

We are working on printed undersized plates with etched ones in the bag"

The Extreme Etches/Shawplan ones are miles ahead of the Dapol etched ones, not to mention the Extreme Etches stainless steel brake discs

Edited by LaGrange

The Extreme Etches/Shawplan ones are miles ahead of the Dapol etched ones, not to mention the Extreme Etches stainless steel brake discs

Then this gives everyone the option what to use then .....  Use Dapols or buy your own ...

Mind you that's already an option as removing the current plates is very easy.

Edited by Anthony566

New models announced today (not seen it posted anywhere else)

4D-022-008  Class 68 Astute 68003 DRS Early Service

4D-022-009  Class 68 Daring 68006 Scotrail Late Modified

4D-022-010  Class 68 Avenger 68008 DRS Late Modified

4D-022-011  Class 68 Oxford Flier 68010 Chiltern Late Modified

4D-022-012  Class 68 Chiltern 68015 Chiltern Early Service

MSRPs are a bit higher:

£154.95 DCC Ready    

£177.84 DCC Fitted  

£299.95 DCC Sound

(From the blurb...)

Features of the Class 68 include:

• Finely moulded body with many separately added fine details

• Printed name plates & Etched plates supplied separately

• DCC ready, DCC and sound fitted models available

• Cast wheels with fine relief and appropriate colouring

• Tungsten chassis and all wheel pick up

• NEM pockets as standard

• Independently controllable and switchable directional lighting

Expected End Q4 2017

2017 models to include the following features where appropriate:

• Early Service—as previously modelled

• Late Modified—new hand rails and horn grill

• Chiltern Modified— No hand rails, AAR sockets

• Chiltern “Oxford Flyer” — As “Late modified” With AAR sockets, Named

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

tried ringing shawplan a number of times last week but kept getting no answer then when i rang earlier to order some of the 68 brake discs (and some laserglaze for another project) the recorded message says they are closed for essential maintenance until 2nd may, d'oh!

(i think i'll wait until the derby show to buy now as thats only a few days later, if you read this bryan bring discs and some lima mk3 TSO laserglaze!)

• RMweb Premium

Pleased that two more DRS liveried models have been announced in OO Gauge, these being 68003 and 68008.

Although it is dissapointing to only see two more running numbers for the next batch. Although with the price increase compared to batch one I'm not going to complain because hopefully that will mean that I can afford 003 and 008.

• RMweb Gold

Pleased that two more DRS liveried models have been announced in OO Gauge, these being 68003 and 68008.

Although it is dissapointing to only see two more running numbers for the next batch. Although with the price increase compared to batch one I'm not going to complain because hopefully that will mean that I can afford 003 and 008.

Have you got a layout thread going, be nice to see all the modern stuff you have on a layout?