Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Thanks for that John, Definitely different - I'll have to closely compare it with the old board when I get my hands on one.

I'll have to investigate if it needs a decoder fitted with two logic level outputs or a full capability six function decoder to operate the halo lights

Do the instructions say which decoders are suitable for 6 function working? Are they different to the first batch instructions?

A quick look shows T1 and T2 in place of D4 and D8 on the original board. (Transistors were added along with the enamelled wire in place of two diodes on the original batch).

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick

When you got your new body did it also come with the cab inserts or just the body

Cheers

Dan

Hi Mick

When you got your new body did it also come with the cab inserts or just the body

Cheers

Dan

Comes with all the inserts that are attached to the body. I also exchanged mine at Warley. Printing looks spot on and the yellow ends look great. Printed nameplates on the body with etched plates bagged and in the box. (I fitted mine with a spot of Glue’n’Glaze)

post-17057-0-85402000-1511988665_thumb.jpeg

post-17057-0-24341300-1511988727_thumb.jpegpost-17057-0-26914200-1511988780_thumb.jpegpost-17057-0-06361700-1511988824_thumb.jpeg

Edited by sdw7300
  • Like 9

Got my 68008 Avenger today...just beautiful and contender for diesel locomotive model of the decade unless it is trumped between now & 2020.

Also I see Dapol have added extra bits to their packaging like extra foam and plastic inserts for the bogies, nice work.

Edit: Does anyone know if the drilled brake disk inserts are etched or transfers on the new models?

Edited by classy52
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Avenger arrived today. Wow ! Gorgeous looking loco. These days your heart is in your mouth when you put it on track to see how she runs. No problem lovely smooth slow speed right up to decent full speed. What a fantastic loco. Certainly the next Diesel model of the year if not the overall best locomotive model of the year.

Most of my purchases have been second hand this year. however the only two new purchases have been a Dapol Western, which I was very pleased with, which gave me confidence to go on and buy the 68 in DRS Livery, I’m glad I did. So actually that means all my new purchases this year have been Dapol , and quite frankly I fancy the GWR Railcar and Bubble Car Dmu too. It certainly seems they have come of age. Even the packaging ooozes quality. Just hope they haven’t given up OO ,as we haven’t really seen anything new announced for a while, in pursuit of higher margins in O

Disappointed in Dapol:

Why didn't they just send all retailers a one line email? "No need to check, all perfect". Would have saved me hours yesterday!

This has been the fastest selling loco we have ever had in the shop. You see it, you buy it, you love it.

They are even courier proof. Hardest part is removing all the packaging from the clam shell. I have ordered the N Gauge versions(s)....  even ordered some for the shop....

Legend above suggests Model of the Year, gets my vote.

• Like 1

Wow DCC Supplies were quick in dispatching my 3 replacement body shells, got them this morning even though I only posted my old ones to them just last Thursday, also came in their own ice cube packaging so well done to Dapol & DCC Supplies for the efficient service.

All 4 of my 68's now happily together with the perfect DRS livery, may now have to go buy 68003 Astute now...

• Like 3

i recieved my replacement bodyshells for 68001 n 68005 today  and i only posted them back last thursday and returned in the plastic inners n cardboard boxes . Well done to Dapol and dcc supplies in correcting the livery error and how fast they dispatch them back.

I collected mine today and have to agree the plastic trays and boxes were not expected,really excellent.

A big well done to Dapol....

• Like 3

Received my Intrepid body from DCC supplies yesterday and what an excellent service from them, thank you.

The body was superbly packed and is superb. I take my hat off to Dapol for replacing the bodies and now just taken delivery of Avenger, what superb models these 68s are and definitely a contender for model of the year.

John

• RMweb Premium

And although the mistake happened, Dapols reaction has been exemplary. This compares to another manufacturer who clearly has a design fault on its 14XX but is remaining silent, at least to the customer on it.

Well done Dapol!

• RMweb Premium

When I was getting my 68 001 body swapped at Dapol last week, they asked if I could post a review on their Facebook page. They were regularly being pushed down the ratings by the Blue & Red box manufacturers.

I left an update praising them for the exceptional way they handled this issue. If you're on Facebook, you may wish to do the same.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And although the mistake happened, Dapols reaction has been exemplary. This compares to another manufacturer who clearly has a design fault on its 14XX but is remaining silent, at least to the customer on it.

Well done Dapol!

I have to agree the 68 is an outstanding model and Dapol should be applauded for issuing the new correctly liveried bodies

Before slagging off other manufacturers though, I think it is worth remembering that the models were released, and the livery fault discovered, at the end of February. It took Dapol several months to announce in July they were going to issue replacement bodies. If you are going to judge equally perhaps you need to cut Hornby some slack as presumably (as it has for Dapol) it takes a considerable amount of time to sort a solution to a problem, especially when goods are manufactured the other side of the world

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have to agree the 68 is an outstanding model and Dapol should be applauded for issuing the new correctly liveried bodies

Before slagging off other manufacturers though, I think it is worth remembering that the models were released, and the livery fault discovered, at the end of February. It took Dapol several months to announce in July they were going to issue replacement bodies. If you are going to judge equally perhaps you need to cut Hornby some slack as presumably (as it has for Dapol) it takes a considerable amount of time to sort a solution to a problem, especially when goods are manufactured the other side of the world

OK fair enough, although its not exactly slagging a manufacturer off pointing out he has yet to react to a known issue. I think Dapol acknowledged there was an issue quite early on . I do appreciate it does take time to sort out issues on the other side of the world (believe me being involved in production I really do!), but I'm prepared to make a small wager that nothing will happen with the 14xx. It does take time to sort things out , the Clayton chassis is one I remember , taking over a year until another production batch was made. I never had a Bachmann A1 , but it took a while to sort out the overheating motors on these. Key thing is both companies owned up effectively said we've made a blooper here and will sort. Its been some weeks since the 14XX issue emerged and there is evidence Hornby know about it from a couple of Model Shops that post on here yet I haven't seen anything from them acknowledging there is an issue. And ironically there is a tag on the bottom of this page still offering it for sale .

Anyway the key points being that Dapol deserve credit for designing a high spec quality product , which I paid a reasonable price for, and sorting out an issue in decoration. So they've turned something positive out of what could have been a very negative situation .

Edited by Legend

Good influx of second hand DRS 68's appearing on eBay. Shame that all of them are showing only the one side of the loco...

Missed out the first time, but made sure of a purchase this time and I think it really is a superb model.

Good influx of second hand DRS 68's appearing on eBay. Shame that all of them are showing only the one side of the loco...

Missed out the first time, but made sure of a purchase this time and I think it really is a superb model.

Most of them are Chiltern's and 2nd batch DRS 68's, only seen one 1st batch DRS 68 for sale.

Btw is there any coaching stock to run with the Chiltern 68's, just wondering whether the lack of suitable coaching stock is the reason why so many of them are unsold on eBay and online retailers?

• RMweb Premium

Most of them are Chiltern's and 2nd batch DRS 68's, only seen one 1st batch DRS 68 for sale.

Btw is there any coaching stock to run with the Chiltern 68's, just wondering whether the lack of suitable coaching stock is the reason why so many of them are unsold on eBay and online retailers?

Rainbow Railways formerly R3Sprays have a selection of resprayed Hornby MK2s in ScotRail livery which can be bought to form a prototypical train for 68006 and 68007 to haul. 

See pages one and two: https://www.rainbowrailways.co.uk/complete-models-coaches-wagons-c-27_29.html?page=1&sort=3a

At present their are no ready to run Chiltern liveried MK3s available in OO Gauge. I have bought some resprayed Chiltern MK3s and a DVT from 159220 of this parish. 

Hope this helps. 

• RMweb Premium