Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

It looks like the second batch as it has the revised circuit board without the copper wire

Could the marks be from taking the body off and putting it back again and is the white residue grease?

Also the wheels have the brake disks fitted I don't think the first batch had these fitted

Hope this helps

Edited by Monkey28
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for this!  I see that your chassis is much the same with the marking as well. Wasn't aware of the copper wire being there.  Pictures help massively.

Yours is definitely a second batch chassis in your photos.The marking is glue residue from behind the grille mouldings.

The giveaway are two transistors marked T1 and T2. (There were two transistors fitted as part of the modification with the copper wires). This board incorporates them rather than as a modification.

Cheers,

Mick

Tony, thanks for your reply.  I think that the transistors are there to switch on the halos via logic outputs from the decoder, and that the pcb is wired for ESU decoders such as yours or the Loksound V4.  A Zimo 644D will only drive the halos if the transistors are bypassed as described by John Gymer of YouChoos.  Not sure I want to go this route; your experience is pointing me to ESU!

Anyone from Dapol care to comment!

The Standard Decoder fitted by Dapol is a Legomanbiffo Sound Fitted ESU V4 21Pin Decoder.     Charlie

Yours is definitely a second batch chassis in your photos.The marking is glue residue from behind the grille mouldings.

The giveaway are two transistors marked T1 and T2. (There were two transistors fitted as part of the modification with the copper wires). This board incorporates them rather than as a modification.

Cheers,

Mick

Cheers Mick. 

It was returned as not working on DCC by the buyer. Just didn't remember the chassis being in such a state! He had said that he had tried the correct chip for lighting and it was dead.  I plugged a Gaugemaster decoder in and hey presto works fine. Think I have just been messed about by it not being wanted.  Have started to fall out with eBay over the loss of postage, given the item is working, they of course are as useless as you'd expect. I had asked he try another chip, but he didn't have one, but assured it was the loco and not the chip, think we have all had chips that just do not like a loco sometimes!

Will keep it now. Take it as a lesson on the pitfuls of eBay...

Cheers Mick. 

It was returned as not working on DCC by the buyer. Just didn't remember the chassis being in such a state! He had said that he had tried the correct chip for lighting and it was dead.  I plugged a Gaugemaster decoder in and hey presto works fine. Think I have just been messed about by it not being wanted.  Have started to fall out with eBay over the loss of postage, given the item is working, they of course are as useless as you'd expect. I had asked he try another chip, but he didn't have one, but assured it was the loco and not the chip, think we have all had chips that just do not like a loco sometimes!

Will keep it now. Take it as a lesson on the pitfuls of eBay...

I dipped into buying and selling on Facebook for A while and that proved just as challenging. I now firmly stay away from both evil bay and Feb buying and selling. It’s not worth the hassle.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my imperium decoder today

IMG_1305.JPG

and add it to my 68

IMG_1307.JPG

great decoder good control of the lights just dissapointed you cant turn the cab lights off with it apart from the switch under the body.

the photo was taken without lights on but with f3 pressed .

Is that lightbleed from the headlights on the cabside

Note that this is only my own opinion. Based on HD videos, the 68s have a delightful throb, quite unlike the ying ying of the, er, Ying-Yings. I’ve watched You Tube videos of three sound projects and I wouldn’t be entirely happy with any of them. Possibly the best is YouChoos but the throb seems to be overlaid with other sounds. I’m waiting to see if any other sound projects emerge.

What's the general consensus of the sound fitted models. I've only heard one but thought it to be a bit muffled ?

Thinking about purchasing a 68008....

Note that this is only my own opinion. Based on HD videos, the 68s have a delightful throb, quite unlike the ying ying of the, er, Ying-Yings. I’ve watched You Tube videos of three sound projects and I wouldn’t be entirely happy with any of them. Possibly the best is YouChoos but the throb seems to be overlaid with other sounds. I’m waiting to see if any other sound projects emerge.

Have a listen to this 68 on the Watermills Yard YT channel where he uses YouChoos sound file on a Zimo MX644D wired to a Zimo LS 55x22x09 Double Dumbo speaker that apparently slots straight into the speaker enclosure, for me this is just about the best one I've heard even compared to the 2 I have running with the Dapol installed DCC Sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xAdwV3Ejek

Edited by classy52

Have a listen to this 68 on the Watermills Yard YT channel where he uses YouChoos sound file on a Zimo MX644D wired to a Zimo LS 55x22x09 Double Dumbo speaker that apparently slots straight into the speaker enclosure, for me this is just about the best one I've heard even compared to the 2 I have running with the Dapol installed DCC Sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xAdwV3Ejek

Granted that YouChoos is probably the best but on the other hand, listen to these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ispphmxtH7U

Small speakers can’t reproduce that deep throb of the 68s but there seem to be high-pitched sounds superimposed on the throb in the sound project. I don’t think even the YouChoos’ quite captures the sound, even allowing for necessarily small speakers.

This is YouChoos’ own project page, which contains a link to the recording.

http://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Shop.php?L1=Project&Item=Class68

At 2' 15" onwards, the throb is captured very well but with a high-pitched hiss interfering with it. That assumes that the sound-only recording is of the project and not the real thing!

just my opinion but legomans sounds with his em2 speaker for me gives the best base sound of the locos but i dont like the idear of chopping the chassis to fit one in 

for me the most real 

The speakers in that clip are producing a superb deep sound but, to my ears (possibly odd), it just doesn’t sound like a 68. Sorry.

This is YouChoos’ own project page, which contains a link to the recording.

http://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Shop.php?L1=Project&Item=Class68

At 2' 15" onwards, the throb is captured very well but with a high-pitched hiss interfering with it. That assumes that the sound-only recording is of the project and not the real thing!

Possibly trying to recreate the whine of the traction motors? It’s the one thing that is very distinctive when your right behind the locos but seems to be missing to me.

Hi Bifs sound files IMHO capture the 68’s perfectly and I see or hear them quite often on the ECS moves. Having heard the EM2 fitted model that Steve fitted its one of the most impressive sound fitted models I’ve heard although you do need to mill the chassis. I fitted the base reflex which is an easy fit to mine and it’s perfect for home use. Charlie also had one fitted with another larger speaker he stocks which I’ve fitted to a 56 before which although doesn’t create the really deep base it is just as loud as the EM2 and captures the top notes really well too so there are a few options that work well.

All the best

Mark