Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold

I am running on DCC. I haven't speed matched them as I don't know how to do that at the moment. I bought a new controller a couple of months ago and I am still getting used to the basic features but this could be something to look at. I will have to have a look in the instruction manual. I may have managed to solve the problem. I have changed the couplings from the Dapol ones which come fitted to Hornby ones. These work a lot better despite them looking practically the same. I am assuming that the bar on the coupling is more rigid and sturdier. I have ran two locos together and they seem to run fine provided that they don't go any higher than speed setting twelve. Hopefully this will continue.

Having had 2 of these for some time and only run them in and done some consists of container wagons, I've been trying to use them with other freight rolling stock and cannot get them to complete a circuit without derailing the wagon attached to them. In both cases the coupling is sitting much lower than the wagons and the hooks overlap on curves and derail/flip the first wagon. i tried various wagons, lubing the coupling, trimming the pipes etc. Removed the hook from the 68's coupling but it is so low the wagon hook can't get connect. The two locos have the same issue and they are not sagging.

gallery_24698_4132_27406.jpg

Have read the thread, don't want to go down the Kadee route, any recommendations on particular replacement couplings to try and get a height match/resolution? Thanks

Good

Good point.  I think all the colours seem too light, so hopefully its just a lighting issue with the photograph.  That mid blue seems washed out towards the roof.

Hi - could be the light conditions with the loco - its a pretty grey day in that shot.

If you note - the dark square/rectangle lines are not present on the bodyside of the model....hope they are added on the production locos.

Regards,

C. 

• RMweb Premium

Having had 2 of these for some time and only run them in and done some consists of container wagons, I've been trying to use them with other freight rolling stock and cannot get them to complete a circuit without derailing the wagon attached to them. In both cases the coupling is sitting much lower than the wagons and the hooks overlap on curves and derail/flip the first wagon. i tried various wagons, lubing the coupling, trimming the pipes etc. Removed the hook from the 68's coupling but it is so low the wagon hook can't get connect. The two locos have the same issue and they are not sagging.

Have read the thread, don't want to go down the Kadee route, any recommendations on particular replacement couplings to try and get a height match/resolution? Thanks

Sorry to hear that you are having the same issue that I was having. 

I went down the Kadee route after trying other couplings first. I was recommended with Kadees by a few people on this forum and they did work. I have the biggest Kadee which are Kadee 20 Extra Long from Hattons. They are £5 for a pack of four so yes they are quite expensive if you have a few 68s and a few rakes of wagons that need them but considering I bought six out of seven 68s from batch one I had already spent a fortune anyway so an extra few quid wasn't an issue. With the 68s and front of my rakes of wagons now having Kadees fitted they work fine when running around the track and I have gone months with no derailments of the locos or wagons. 

One thing I will say is if you plan on running two or three 68s together is push the inner buffers in on the locos. This adds extra space between the locos when they are running around curves/corners and thus prevents derailments. In fairness I don't think the curves on my layout are wide enough so that probably is my fault but without making significant changes to the layout it's easier to push the inner buffers in. Yes it's not prototypical and does look a bit odd but it's an easy fix and the 68 buffers are flexible and will push back out again for prototypical running. 

I am very pleased with the Kadees because without these I would have had the best part of £1000 in 68s that I wouldn't have been able to run except from as light loco movements, so they really did save the day. 

I now have no issues at all when running two or three 68s together either. 

Hope this helps. 

Hi - could be the light conditions with the loco - its a pretty grey day in that shot.

If you note - the dark square/rectangle lines are not present on the bodyside of the model....hope they are added on the production locos.

Regards,

C. 

Yes, I know, its not so fair to start speculating wildly at this stage.....but!  The blue at the side of the real thing seems to fade sharply from deep blue at the cab corners to grey-blue and remains at this grey-blue for the rest of the 'sweep'.  On the model, it seems to fade more gradually and almost to white, though as CJL points out, this could be the studio lights.  If it is studio lights, its odd the grey of the body side and blue of the cab seem to be uniform in chroma.

• 2 weeks later...

it

its a while since I did it, and my stock is in storage at the moment so can't check but, yes I had the same issue with my 2x 68s.  I solved the issue by using the airdam (one with coupling cutout) glued in place with a shim to push the coupler up to the right height.  Worked well and didn't stop the sideways movement.  I was using with Kadees though but initially they were far too low so this was done to correct.  Hope this helps,

Matt

I use Kadees within block trains in order to achieve the closest practicable coupling but I fit standard Bachmann couplings to the outer ends and to locomotives for compatibility. My 68s have been fine but if the couplings are too low, would you think of trying Bachmann cranked couplings? 36-027 for standard length and 36-064 for the long ones. Obtainable from Hatton’s.

I use Kadees within block trains in order to achieve the closest practicable coupling but I fit standard Bachmann couplings to the outer ends and to locomotives for compatibility. My 68s have been fine but if the couplings are too low, would you think of trying Bachmann cranked couplings? 36-027 for standard length and 36-064 for the long ones. Obtainable from Hatton’s.

Wouldn't using the Bachmann (or Heljan) cranked couplings make them sit even lower? Or did you mean use the cranked ones on the adjacent wagons?

Edited by SRman

Wouldn't using the Bachmann (or Heljan) cranked couplings make them sit even lower? Or did you mean use the cranked ones on the adjacent wagons?

The Bachmann ones are cranked upwards. They were originally used when Bachmann placed NRM pockets lower than NRM specification. Bachmann now places pockets at standard height but the couplings might still be of use in circumstances such as these under discussion.

• 3 weeks later...

Out of curisority has anyone managed to be able to pre-order one of the OO TPE 68s (Sound fitted) direct from Dapol? Did appear very briefly previously but then dussappeared just as quick. Have e-mailed Dapol but seems to go down to being a popular model so none with fitted sound will be made available which seems a bit odd if this is the only way to obtain factory fitted sound is through Dapol direct only ???

• RMweb Premium

Out of curisority has anyone managed to be able to pre-order one of the OO TPE 68s (Sound fitted) direct from Dapol? Did appear very briefly previously but then dussappeared just as quick. Have e-mailed Dapol but seems to go down to being a popular model so none with fitted sound will be made available which seems a bit odd if this is the only way to obtain factory fitted sound is through Dapol direct only ???

Dapol recently announced that they were no longer factory fitting sound.

EDIT: Oops - see below.

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

I thought they are still factory fitting sound, but the factory fitted sound models will only be available direct from Dapol and not in the shops?

Tom.

My mistake Tom - thanks for the clarification.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Having spent a number of hours listening to both the real locos and sound fitted model ones on YouTube, I don't think any of the sound chips that I have seen examples of so far accurately reflect the real loco sound.

However, the closest in my opinion was Biffo sounds loaded onto an EM2 and sugarcube speaker setup.

What's other people's thoughts on the best 68 sound combination to fit to the locos?

Edited by InchicoreWorks

• 2 weeks later...

What's other people's thoughts on the best 68 sound combination to fit to the locos?

I have Biffo sounds but using a Zimo double chamber speaker (can't remember the size but it fits exactly).

After listening to the EM2 I drew the conclusion that it was great for engine noises but all the others were somewhat muffled and deeper than they should be. The Zimo seems to be a good compromise with this.

I have Biffo sounds but using a Zimo double chamber speaker (can't remember the size but it fits exactly).

After listening to the EM2 I drew the conclusion that it was great for engine noises but all the others were somewhat muffled and deeper than they should be. The Zimo seems to be a good compromise with this.

-

Like this one?

37931903774_7d2f0439fc_b.jpg

Class 68 Speaker Installation - 2 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

I like the effect of this speaker combination and, as Sir Tophamhatt said, it goes straight in with no modifications to the chassis or body required.

• Like 1

-

Like this one?

I like the effect of this speaker combination and, as Sir Tophamhatt said, it goes straight in with no modifications to the chassis or body required.

It was actually a punt on another users recommendation from this topic - post 21 specifically.

Admittedly I haven't heard the EM2 with this sound file but having to mess about inside + the EM2 I have heard with other locos... it just made sense to get the Zimo speaker and be happy.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt