Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:43, JackB95 said:

That's about £20 cheaper than buying it direct from DC Kits. Wonder why they're selling them cheaper? Especially if you say that quote includes fitting at the Dapol residence...

Dropped my  TPE class 68 at Dapol today, they are having it fitted at DCC Supplies, and will post back to me in 1/2 weeks, decoder costing £95, no quote about fitting charge, obviously  a return postage charge,

19 hours ago, stock_2007 said:

The Dapol class 68 is a very easy loco to fit a chip into and Dapol even do the chips:rolleyes:

You are probably right. After all the trouble with correct working halo lights and sound fitting I thought it was a bit difficult. But I have watched Richard‘s (New Junction) video on YouTube and it seems really quite easy. Now where the TPE version is nearly sold out I wait for the DCC fitted one. On the other hand it‘s most likely that Dapol will release another TPE loco with the next batch...

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Fluo66 said:

You are probably right. After all the trouble with correct working halo lights and sound fitting I thought it was a bit difficult. But I have watched Richard‘s (New Junction) video on YouTube and it seems really quite easy. Now where the TPE version is nearly sold out I wait for the DCC fitted one. On the other hand it‘s most likely that Dapol will release another TPE loco with the next batch...

I'm not sure how many 68's are running in TPE livery I think its 4 so I'm sure your right about another one being released

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, stock_2007 said:

I'm not sure how many 68's are running in TPE livery I think its 4 so I'm sure your right about another one being released

There are  14 of them in TPE livery , with 12 in use each day, when services commence, and 2 in maintenance 

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, stock_2007 said:

Not 4, but 14.

68019-68032.

Cheers,

Mick

oops - beaten to it...

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, stock_2007 said:

The Dapol class 68 is a very easy loco to fit a chip into and Dapol even do the chips:rolleyes:

Thank you for letting us know. 

I only haven't bought the standard model because by the time you have paid for the postage of the decoder from Dapol that will be an additional £5 or so, so it just seems easier to wait, have the decoder fitted and save a few quid. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Thank you for letting us know. 

I only haven't bought the standard model because by the time you have paid for the postage of the decoder from Dapol that will be an additional £5 or so, so it just seems easier to wait, have the decoder fitted and save a few quid. 

Your right where possible I would do the same but I buy a Imperium chip for £20.50 with £1.95 postage

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For anyone wanting to add some light weathering to their TPE liveried 68, I've added some recent photos of 68022 and 68027 taken at York on 18th February to this thread;

On 22 February 2019 at 20:58, Dixie Dean said:

Sorry if this question has been asked - but has anyone any opinion as to who is doing the best sound for this loco at the moment?

There was an on-going discussion on Facebook about it.

One seems to be a little too "chuffy", but the other isn't chuffy enough.

I have Legomanbiffo sounds and I'm pretty happy with it.

To be honest, i haven't heard any others in the flesh to compare though.

• Like 2

On 22/02/2019 at 20:58, Dixie Dean said:

Sorry if this question has been asked - but has anyone any opinion as to who is doing the best sound for this loco at the moment?

If you take a look on roads and rails YouTube page Richard has uploaded 2 videos - 1 with legomanbiffo sound and a 2nd with youchoose sounds. If you read below the videos the different comments and you can come to your own conclusion on which sound the best.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't recall the # kadee I used but this only affects the length, not height.  Yes both mine hung low too but the NEM mount is actually OK, there is just too much slop in the pocket and the pivot.  My fix was quite crude actually... I found the valance fitting actually pushed up on the NEM mount and fixed the slop issue so glued it in position to stop the Kadee from hanging low.  I made sure there was a smear of lubricant between the valance fitting and NEM fitting to ensure it could still move and no issues.  I would take some photos but my stock is still all in store until I get somewhere with re-establishing my layout post house move - at current rate of progress I am hopeful we will see things moving sometime in 2025... (although wife and kids away next week and I'm off work so I may make  some progress... although i'm supposed to be landscaping our garden... :-)).

• Like 1
  • Funny 1