Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/12/2019 at 15:54, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I didn't even think of that and it was a really good idea for you to clarify and post on this page. 

Regarding the TPE 68s I think I will place an expression of interest at Rails Of Sheffield for 68023 and maybe 68032 too at some point. 

I may at some stage also create a separate thread for the expression of interest of these two models. That way maybe people would have a better chance of seeing it via the 'view new content' button to the top right of the forum pages if they were to click on it. Or if they click on the Dapol link on the manufacturers section it would also display a new thread their too. 

What do you think?

I suppose the other thing is how many do they need to make to make it worthwhile? One would presume the tooling will be paid for by now (other than the new printing, if necessary), so would it be 500, 1000 or what? I know there are limited editions of specific liveries of a few hundred of other locos by other manufacturers but I presume they will come in a lot larger order of other variants to cover MOQs for mouldings etc?

I'd be gutted if they don't make them given I missed out on Brutus and won't pay the silly prices they go for nowadays, I was going to buy a 68034 to run with my mk5s (given 033 and 034 are capable of running mk5s IRL) and I am still on the fence about it. If I had some suitable stock for it I'd already have one, the only Intermodal wagons I have are FL branded FLAs and I do have a FNA flask wagon but I'd then need another 68 to go with it! If I was going for a normal DRS loco with the limitations of what I can run it with I'd probably rather have an 88 as I prefer the livery to the DRS 68s.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I suppose the other thing is how many do they need to make to make it worthwhile? One would presume the tooling will be paid for by now (other than the new printing, if necessary), so would it be 500, 1000 or what? I know there are limited editions of specific liveries of a few hundred of other locos by other manufacturers but I presume they will come in a lot larger order of other variants to cover MOQs for mouldings etc?

I'd be gutted if they don't make them given I missed out on Brutus and won't pay the silly prices they go for nowadays, I was going to buy a 68034 to run with my mk5s (given 033 and 034 are capable of running mk5s IRL) and I am still on the fence about it. If I had some suitable stock for it I'd already have one, the only Intermodal wagons I have are FL branded FLAs and I do have a FNA flask wagon but I'd then need another 68 to go with it!

Welcome to RMWeb, I see this is your first post on this site. You will really enjoy this site because their is so much that can be learned and so many discussions to be had. Be sure to have a good look at all of the topics/threads because their are so many. You will also find new announcements under each of the manufacturers threads. It's a really good place to keep up with new announcements because no other site, magazine etc from what I have seen keeps up with all of the announcements. 

I would say that they would need to at least make a couple of thousand models in TPE livery. Given that they are considering producing 023 & 032 possibly 1000 of each because their are two models each with different running numbers and names. I also believe that their are slight tooling differences between 023 & 032 so this would need to be factored in too. Neither of these models are classed as Limited Editions even though their likely will only be a relatively small number produced, especially when compared to other models and production runs. 

I have a DRS 68034 just because I wanted a non TPE liveried variant to run with the TPE MK5s, that can also run with freight/wagons. 034 is really nice in the DRS 'Swoosh' livery alike the other DRS 68s and this one is also unique because it's un-named. 

With regards as to if 023 & 032 in TPE will be produced if the MOQ is 2000 say for example in total for both models as DCC Ready versions then this may potentially happen, given that Accurascale have implied that the TPE MK5s have sold really well. That's also not including people like myself who haven't pre-ordered or fully paid for MK5s as of yet. So if the MOQ is relatively low I could see this run happening but if say the MOQ is double that for example 4000 models as DCC Ready versions then maybe they won't happen especially with 019 'Brutus' having already sold out, thus demand has been satisfied. For those who have this one is has to be considered how many would have another one or two in the same livery? I know I will have a second to go with 019 but seen as though I'm only planning to buy one MK5 rake in TPE then I probably won't have all three in TPE, especially with me having 034 in DRS which is also MK5 compliant. 

I am still deciding weather to pre-order 023 or 032, but I will post on here once I have in January to remind those who are interested to show their interest before the 31st January. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Welcome to RMWeb, I see this is your first post on this site. You will really enjoy this site because their is so much that can be learned and so many discussions to be had. Be sure to have a good look at all of the topics/threads because their are so many. You will also find new announcements under each of the manufacturers threads. It's a really good place to keep up with new announcements because no other site, magazine etc from what I have seen keeps up with all of the announcements. 

I would say that they would need to at least make a couple of thousand models in TPE livery. Given that they are considering producing 023 & 032 possibly 1000 of each because their are two models each with different running numbers and names. I also believe that their are slight tooling differences between 023 & 032 so this would need to be factored in too. Neither of these models are classed as Limited Editions even though their likely will only be a relatively small number produced, especially when compared to other models and production runs. 

I have a DRS 68034 just because I wanted a non TPE liveried variant to run with the TPE MK5s, that can also run with freight/wagons. 034 is really nice in the DRS 'Swoosh' livery alike the other DRS 68s and this one is also unique because it's un-named. 

With regards as to if 023 & 032 in TPE will be produced if the MOQ is 2000 say for example in total for both models as DCC Ready versions then this may potentially happen, given that Accurascale have implied that the TPE MK5s have sold really well. That's also not including people like myself who haven't pre-ordered or fully paid for MK5s as of yet. So if the MOQ is relatively low I could see this run happening but if say the MOQ is double that for example 4000 models as DCC Ready versions then maybe they won't happen especially with 019 'Brutus' having already sold out, thus demand has been satisfied. For those who have this one is has to be considered how many would have another one or two in the same livery? I know I will have a second to go with 019 but seen as though I'm only planning to buy one MK5 rake in TPE then I probably won't have all three in TPE, especially with me having 034 in DRS which is also MK5 compliant. 

I am still deciding weather to pre-order 023 or 032, but I will post on here once I have in January to remind those who are interested to show their interest before the 31st January. 

Cheers for the welcome, I have been using the site for a while for information but thought I would join in.

Yes that's it, if they need several thousand then it's looking unlikely, but say 1000 of each then it's probably a go given Accurascale will need to do a decent amount of mk5s to make it worthwhile. I have gone for 032, I think Destroyer is a slightly cooler name than Achilles (just). I presume the tooling differences are because they are from different batches and also that 23 will be a Vossloh whereas 32 will be Stadler? But either way with 34 already being tooled then physical differences will be covered? Surely it will just be the number, name and manufacturer plate? It bugs me where the plate is stays DRS blue by the way!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Cheers for the welcome, I have been using the site for a while for information but thought I would join in.

Yes that's it, if they need several thousand then it's looking unlikely, but say 1000 of each then it's probably a go given Accurascale will need to do a decent amount of mk5s to make it worthwhile. I have gone for 032, I think Destroyer is a slightly cooler name than Achilles (just). I presume the tooling differences are because they are from different batches and also that 23 will be a Vossloh whereas 32 will be Stadler? But either way with 34 already being tooled then physical differences will be covered? Surely it will just be the number, name and manufacturer plate? It bugs me where the plate is stays DRS blue by the way!

It's good to hear that you have been using the site a while and now want to comment as well. I do really like this site and I believe I have been a member for five, going on six years now and finding this site and using it was the best thing I ever did in relation to trainspotting and modelling. As I say and you have probably noticed their are some really good, helpful and informative threads on here. 

Yes if the MOQ is relatively low say a couple of thousand I reckon that this run will happen, but if it's anymore than that maybe not. It's also worth considering that Dapol have already produced 019 in TPE, 026 in DRS Basic and 034 in DRS Compass, the former and the latter of which will prototypically run in these liveries in reality on TPE workings. 026 in the short lived Basic livery lasting 18 months at the most will not prototypically run with MK5s in this livery but some may still choose to run this 68 with said MK5s. So that's already x3 68s that people who have bought them may choose to run their MK5s with. Also Accurascale are only producing two different numbered TPE MK5 sets, thus if people have bought 019 & 034 already technically they have both train formations fully complete and have no need to buy further locomotives. 

Yes to my knowledge because all of the different toolings have already been produced and covered in previous batches their should be no need to adapt or alter the tooling at all. Just the fact that 023 is from a slightly earlier batch than 032 and thus their are some minor differences. I know that their are some differences between the roofs of these two and possibly the Vossloh/Stadler badges as well on the locos. You're correct that 034 is different to some of the previous 68s. But 026 also is the same tooling as 034 to my knowledge, thus has the same differences to previous 68s. It was the previous batches of locos that DRS had delivered featuring 016-025 that have some differences to the later 026-034. Because three batches have already been produced in OO Gauge I would definitely say that the tooling costs of producing the 68 has now been covered in OO Gauge at least. So as long as sufficient demand is their for batch four which will feature said two locos it should be pretty easy to produce these two. 

• Agree 1

Yeah you could argue that there is enough. But there are plenty of people with 034 who want a proper TPE one. IF I go for 034 I would still be wanting 032! So hopefully demand is there.

I aren't sure why they went and did the last batch in the plain blue TBH in 026, wasn't the deal with TPE agreed before the locos were even delivered (not ordered)?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Yeah you could argue that there is enough. But there are plenty of people with 034 who want a proper TPE one. IF I go for 034 I would still be wanting 032! So hopefully demand is there.

I aren't sure why they went and did the last batch in the plain blue TBH in 026, wasn't the deal with TPE agreed before the locos were even delivered (not ordered)?

That's very true. As you say for anyone who wants a TPE liveried 68 and missed out on the initial 019, then the option of one or two new numbered TPE liveried 68s will most likely be very welcome. I have 019 and 034 but I still want another TPE 68 or maybe both if I have the money, but next year is going to be very expensive so I will have to see. I will most likely pre-order/express interest in one of 023 or 032 and if this batch does go ahead possibly pre-order the other in due course. 

Yes I think the intention always was that 019-032 would be TPE locomotives before 026 was even delivered to the UK. Most likely Dapol captured the interim DRS Basic livery as worn by 026 and some others because it allows for another livery to be produced within the same batch, thus an increase in the MOQ which in all further justifies another batch of the same class of loco. Nearly always manufacturers like to produce a batch of locos of the same class in more than one livery, thus if this TPE only liveried batch goes ahead it's something extremely rare and almost unheard of to happen in modern times in the world of model railways. As 026 hasn't sold that well and nearly one year on most model shops still have some available I would say it's very unlikely that Dapol would produce another in the DRS Basic livery. At the moment the same applies to DRS Compass, ScotRail and Chiltern liveries as Dapol have said that because they have already produced so many running numbers in these liveries and so many retailers still have these liveries available, they can't justify producing anymore at the moment or adding any to the fourth batch which features only TPE locos. Ultimately this is why Dapol have ventured down the expressions of interest route for the TPE locos, in an attempt to see if their is sufficient demand at the moment. 

12 hours ago, TomScrut said:

That’s a fair point to make. All the same, the model was so attractive that I couldn’t resist it. :D

As for the TPE, that was another I couldn’t resist. It appeared before the Mk. Vs were announced. With the coaches announced, I would have thought that enough people who didn’t want a TPE 68 would now want one to make another run viable. With two rakes of coaches available, add on the number of people who would want an extra loco and the project would be all the more viable, I would have thought. On the other hand, I don’t know the market as well as Dapol!

There aren’t many of us who have enough space to run, for example, a Duchess with eighteen coaches. There is a kick to be had from running a short loco-hauled train which we know to be authentic. I admit to a special fondness for my Hornby WAG with 67 and DVT. It offers something an MU doesn’t.

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

That’s a fair point to make. All the same, the model was so attractive that I couldn’t resist it. :D

As for the TPE, that was another I couldn’t resist. It appeared before the Mk. Vs were announced. With the coaches announced, I would have thought that enough people who didn’t want a TPE 68 would now want one to make another run viable. With two rakes of coaches available, add on the number of people who would want an extra loco and the project would be all the more viable, I would have thought. On the other hand, I don’t know the market as well as Dapol!

There aren’t many of us who have enough space to run, for example, a Duchess with eighteen coaches. There is a kick to be had from running a short loco-hauled train which we know to be authentic. I admit to a special fondness for my Hornby WAG with 67 and DVT. It offers something an MU doesn’t.

Yes I have space for 5-6 cars, so the 68 with mk5s is about spot on for me. Likewise with the 5 car 800 (even though the LNER one is actually numbered as a 9 car IIRC so isn't really authentic). At least the other thing being that there are now legitimate rakes of HSTs with 4 coaches!

I think there will be enough people but would be interesting to know how many they need and how many have ordered so far

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I wonder if Dapol will do any more 68s with the TPE ones if they have enough orders?

I'd have thought a newly numbered ScotRail one would work given Hornby are doing some more 2Fs and Bachmann have them coming out?

Dapol have already asked for "expressions of interest" for TPE 68s - you can place a pre-order via the likes of Hattons and other retailers.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Dapol have already asked for "expressions of interest" for TPE 68s - you can place a pre-order via the likes of Hattons and other retailers.

Yes, I meant if there are enough expressions of interest I wonder if they will add to that with something else such as another ScotRail. You'd think there may be a market for more or those (with different numbers) now there are more and more stock to run with them coming through.

9 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Yes, I meant if there are enough expressions of interest I wonder if they will add to that with something else such as another ScotRail. You'd think there may be a market for more or those (with different numbers) now there are more and more stock to run with them coming through.

It makes sense to offer another livery when doing another production run and Daring seems to have sold out. On the other hand, there doesn’t seem to be the same number of requests for another Scotrail 68, even though coaches are available. Odd, isn’t it? Perhaps it’s the striking TPE livery.

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

It makes sense to offer another livery when doing another production run and Daring seems to have sold out. On the other hand, there doesn’t seem to be the same number of requests for another Scotrail 68, even though coaches are available. Odd, isn’t it? Perhaps it’s the striking TPE livery.

Yes I think the thing is that only 1 loco from 1 run has been done in TPE. 2 locos on 3 runs have been done in ScotRail. Sort of thing where as the last batches were always the same two locos AFAIK repeat sales might not have been as likely as if they did another with another number. The combination of the Hornby and Bachmann 2Fs you'd think people could have several legitimate trains with another number.

• RMweb Gold

Scotrail versions are still readily available from retailers and ebay without silly inflated prices so between that and the fact they've already modelled both Scotrail ones I don't see them doing more.

I assume once the Fife circle loco hauls stop at some point this year Daring and Valiant will get repainted back to DRS livery of some sort - that might be a more likely candidate to re-release one of them.

• RMweb Premium

I pre-ordered TransPennine Express liveried 68023 & 68032 a few days ago. 

I was only supposed to pre-order one or the other but I couldn't decide on which number and name so I ended up pre-ordering both. 

I pre-ordered both with Rails and it was really easy to do. The pair can also be pre-ordered from Colletts Models in Exmouth and Hattons. I have no relation with any of these retailers, I just thought I would let others know where they can express their interest/pre-order. 

Out of interest how many people have already pre-ordered/expressed interest in one or both of these locomotives or will be doing so before 31st January? I'm hoping that this run will go ahead but if we need thousands of people in order to do so I am sceptical as to if they will be produced in the near future. 

42 minutes ago, Kaput said:

I assume once the Fife circle loco hauls stop at some point this year Daring and Valiant will get repainted back to DRS livery of some sort - that might be a more likely candidate to re-release one of them.

No guarantee it stops, though also no guarantee that Daring/Valiant remain.

Scotrail has put out a request for bids for at least 1 more year of some sort of train (Loco hauled coaches or DMU), though the equipment needs to meet the new standards.

1 hour ago, Kaput said:

Scotrail versions are still readily available from retailers and ebay without silly inflated prices so between that and the fact they've already modelled both Scotrail ones I don't see them doing more.

Ah I didn't know it was a limited time thing. Maybe not then!

I tried looking for new ones a few days ago and came up short TBH although I didn't lol too hard. I don't want to buy one off eBay (where people will say "new" when it really isn't)

Edit, I have found a few. Now I have a Brutus sound on order I aren't too fussed about a ScotRail. Would rather have 2 TPE ones if the next run happens

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, mdvle said:

No guarantee it stops, though also no guarantee that Daring/Valiant remain.

Scotrail has put out a request for bids for at least 1 more year of some sort of train (Loco hauled coaches or DMU), though the equipment needs to meet the new standards.

At the minimum they need to upgrade/replace the MK2's with PRM compliant stock by the end of May going by the extension letter from the DfT.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Kaput said:

At the minimum they need to upgrade/replace the MK2's with PRM compliant stock by the end of May going by the extension letter from the DfT.

The Scotrail request for bids is for service starting in December, so the current situation would apparently already have a solution in the works (or perhaps another extension will be granted).

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi everyone, 

Just thought that I would post a reminder, that we have until this Friday (31st January) to express our interest via retailers in 68023 'Achilles' and 68032 'Destroyer' in Transpennine Express livery in OO Gauge. After this Friday Dapol will then evaluate the expressions of interest they have received and decide if a single livery production run is viable to produce these models. 

Expressions of interest can be placed via Colletts Models of Exmouth, Rails Of Sheffield and Hattons and no doubt other retailers upon enquiry too. 

So if you missed out on 68019 or you would like a second/third TPE 68 then you know what to do. 

Hope this helps. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I have had Destroyer on pre order since the announcement, but last night impulsively put my name down for an Achilles too. Maybe an expensive mistake as I'll probably then have to order more carriages...

I as well but also thinking about getting Achilles but that would mean getting 2 Accurascale TPE packs which really would make my bank balance go bust considering my other investments with them plus a few bits from Hornby and then we have Bachmann coming up with stuff I may be interested in as well over the next 12 months...just like London buses, everything comes at once lol

• Agree 1