Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I should point out theres variations in TPE livery on class 68’s, especially around the vertical lines at the cab ends, quite dramatic angular differences.

There was a thread on here a while back.

I wouldn't call it "dramatic"

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

It is and we will most likely never see another one in the DRS Basic livery produced by Dapol. I was tempted to buy it, but it's the fact that the livery was so short lived. From my records it last around 18 months at the most, during 2017 & 2018. But I opted for some more of the 'Swoosh' liveried DRS machines instead because these serve a much wider period of time. 

I was considering buying even more 'Swoosh' DRS 68s but I can't at the moment because what with everything else due this year, I simply don't have the money. But like you I wasn't desperate for them anyway. So I would rather have some new items that I don't yet have any of. 

I do like the basic livery but since they don't exist anymore like that I won't buy one. It can't have been long at all really, as I understand it it is because when the last batch were built they knew all but 2 were going to TPE so they didn't go to the trouble of putting them in compass?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, classy52 said:

Will be a shame if Dapol withdraw from doing another 2 TPE 68's as I have both on pre-order but if they do then Accurascale will get 2 more sales from me for their TPE Mk5 sets.

Too be honest I'm not that fussed either way considering all the other stuff coming out this year.

The TPE 68s are happening.

The order confirmations were agreed earlier this week. (At least ours were)

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 minutes ago, Trains4U said:

Thanks for the heads up, I was fine either way but that has actually made my day as far as model railways is concerned.

Good on you Dapol.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I do like the basic livery but since they don't exist anymore like that I won't buy one. It can't have been long at all really, as I understand it it is because when the last batch were built they knew all but 2 were going to TPE so they didn't go to the trouble of putting them in compass?

Judging by the below comment from Trains4U, I definitely won't be buying 026 in Basic now. Yes the middle bit of vinyl on the Basic livery is far easier to remove than the swoosh which goes all along the bodysides and through the cab doors etc. 

1 hour ago, Trains4U said:

That's brilliant news. Thanks for letting us all know. 

1 hour ago, classy52 said:

Thanks for the heads up, I was fine either way but that has actually made my day as far as model railways is concerned.

Good on you Dapol.

That's great news! I wonder when they will be letting the "cat" out of the bag officially?

This is excellent news. I have to say I am surprised. Expressions of interest must have been considerably high, I would at a guess say at least 1000 people must have showed an interest, for the batch to be given the go ahead. So an already ground breaking model, has just broken some new ground, because single liveried production runs for any model, by any manufacturer are extremely rare. Well done Dapol. It's because the Class 68 is such an excellent model that it keeps persuading people to buy more. No doubt Accurascale may gain some more sales of their TPE MK5s now too, seen as though their will be three TPE 68s that have been produced along with 034 in DRS livery which is also compatible to run with the coaches. This makes four 68s compatible to run with the coaches in total. This may now increase the demand for both sets of TPE MK5s. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

It is and we will most likely never see another one in the DRS Basic livery produced by Dapol. I was tempted to buy it, but it's the fact that the livery was so short lived. From my records it last around 18 months at the most, during 2017 & 2018. But I opted for some more of the 'Swoosh' liveried DRS machines instead because these serve a much wider period of time. 

I was considering buying even more 'Swoosh' DRS 68s but I can't at the moment because what with everything else due this year, I simply don't have the money. But like you I wasn't desperate for them anyway. So I would rather have some new items that I don't yet have any of. 

According to the DRS magazine/book recently come out 68026 had it's plain livery from 04/2017 to 08/18. It was one of the first put in that colour but some lasted until 09/18 before being put in TPE. So 17 months altogether for the livery but 16 for 68026 give or take a few weeks.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

According to the DRS magazine/book recently come out 68026 had it's plain livery from 04/2017 to 08/18. It was one of the first put in that colour but some lasted until 09/18 before being put in TPE. So 17 months altogether for the livery but 16 for 68026 give or take a few weeks.

Thanks for posting this info. 

I haven't yet bought this magazine so this is good to know. I thought it was around 18 months so I was one or two months out. If the livery had of lasted more than a couple of years I would have likely bought 026 but I removed it from my wishlist just because it didn't serve a wide enough time span. Also the loco in reality is now in TPE livery. Had it gained say a different DRS livery following the Basic livery, this may have tempted me to buy it, but because not just the livery but it's operations have changed, it doesn't encourage me to buy it. 

• Like 1

I wasn't being pedantic BTW just letting you know you were near as dammit right with what you said!

And if you're talking about plain blue before the DRS stuff went on the sides you'd actually be spot on as they were built/delivered a month before!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I wasn't being pedantic BTW just letting you know you were near as dammit right with what you said!

And if you're talking about plain blue before the DRS stuff went on the sides you'd actually be spot on as they were built/delivered a month before!

No worries, I didn't think that any way. 

I tend to be knowledgeable about the DRS stuff. I have always enjoyed following DRS traction, because they have such a variety and their locos have worn so many liveries through different eras. But then I become obsessed and don't have anywhere near as many locos for other operators on my model railway as I do DRS haha. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

No worries, I didn't think that any way. 

I tend to be knowledgeable about the DRS stuff. I have always enjoyed following DRS traction, because they have such a variety and their locos have worn so many liveries through different eras. But then I become obsessed and don't have anywhere near as many locos for other operators on my model railway as I do DRS haha. 

...then hurry up & get that magazine, its a good read.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, classy52 said:

...then hurry up & get that magazine, its a good read.

That's really good to hear. I have often thought that their should be magazines specific to each freight operator. 

Can you tell me where you bought it from please? 

I haven't seen it advertised anywhere. 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

5 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

That's really good to hear. I have often thought that their should be magazines specific to each freight operator. 

Can you tell me where you bought it from please? 

I haven't seen it advertised anywhere. 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Key publishings website is where I got it from

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Dapol have confirmed the 68s.

Sound pre orders here:

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/shop/preorder/OO-Gauge-Preorder/Class_68_Preorder

Due Q3 2020

Good stuff...sound fitted only versions as well.

Now do I buy with sound already fitted with standard speaker or get DCC Ready and get a professional to shove an EM2 into it which really is the only speaker to get the best out of a 68.

Edited by classy52

38 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Good stuff...sound fitted only versions as well.

Now do I buy with sound already fitted with standard speaker or get DCC Ready and get a professional to shove an EM2 into it which really is the only speaker to get the best out of a 68.

I'm going to do my own sound. The sound kit is £120, the price difference between Hattons etc and the Dapol sound is £129 but at least I can do it in my own time if I do it myself rather than having £520 to pay all at once for both locos. I am tempted to go with sound on my Accurascale order as at a £90 premium it's good value (Vs buying separately) but when it's dearer than doing it afterwards I won't be bothering doing it up front.

• Like 1

I'm going to do my own sound. The sound kit is £120, the price difference between Hattons etc and the Dapol sound is £129 but at least I can do it in my own time if I do it myself rather than having £520 to pay all at once for both locos. I am tempted to go with sound on my Accurascale order as at a £90 premium it's good value (Vs buying separately) but when it's dearer than doing it afterwards I won't be bothering doing it up front.

The thing with an EM2 speaker you have to mill the chassis for it to fit hence I would get a professional to do it but having listened to a 68 with an EM2 it is really special but a hassle to fit plus the added costs.

All my Accurascale loco orders are with sound as they are using an EM2 speaker configuration on all their 37's, 55's & 92's, something Dapol should have thought about when they developed the 68 chassis.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Key publishings website is where I got it from

9 hours ago, classy52 said:

Yep Key Publishing with free postage.

Thank you both. That's excellent. I will order one. 

4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Dapol have confirmed the 68s.

Sound pre orders here:

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/shop/preorder/OO-Gauge-Preorder/Class_68_Preorder

Due Q3 2020

Thanks for posting. Out of interest where does it say due Q3 2020? Not doubting your knowledge, I just couldn't see it on the link directly to the Dapol page or either of the product pages. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Thank you both. That's excellent. I will order one. 

Thanks for posting. Out of interest where does it say due Q3 2020? Not doubting your knowledge, I just couldn't see it on the link directly to the Dapol page or either of the product pages. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

There you go...

image.png.469996ebd8931112d1070238a96b9f4a.png

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, classy52 said:

There you go...

image.png.469996ebd8931112d1070238a96b9f4a.png

Thank you for posting. 

That's excellent. Now just to make up my mind on what to do. 

As I most likely can't afford two further TPE 68s and two corresponding TPE MK5 sets to match, I may cancel my pre-order for one of the 68s, and just buy one MK5 set. Otherwise this is going to become a very costly exercise. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Thank you for posting. 

That's excellent. Now just to make up my mind on what to do. 

As I most likely can't afford two further TPE 68s and two corresponding TPE MK5 sets to match, I may cancel my pre-order for one of the 68s, and just buy one MK5 set. Otherwise this is going to become a very costly exercise. 

Yeah the thing with the mk5as is how likely there is to be a second run in a year or two. Probably unlikely! I have both 68s on order but will probably only get one set of coaches due to cost (I totted up my pre orders so far and it's £££). I will either run two on one train in a "rescue" type situation, run one on other stuff like NR ballast or have one parked up like they are in stations.

I could do with only one but I feel that if everyone with two cancels one it's possibly pulling the rug from under the retailers/Dapol's feet.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Yeah the thing with the mk5as is how likely there is to be a second run in a year or two. Probably unlikely! I have both 68s on order but will probably only get one set of coaches due to cost (I totted up my pre orders so far and it's £££). I will either run two on one train in a "rescue" type situation, run one on other stuff like NR ballast or have one parked up like they are in stations.

I could do with only one but I feel that if everyone with two cancels one it's possibly pulling the rug from under the retailers/Dapol's feet.

Yes you & me both.

I'm still going to get both TPE 68's & support Dapol but will probably only get 1 TPE Mk5 set for the reasons you explained, Accurascale are bleeding me dry in a nice way of course ;)

• Friendly/supportive 1

46 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Yes you & me both.

I'm still going to get both TPE 68's & support Dapol but will probably only get 1 TPE Mk5 set for the reasons you explained, Accurascale are bleeding me dry in a nice way of course ;)

On the other hand if they end up with some in stock and discount them then I'd probably bite! I may end up biting but I could do with not doing. But I am also half expecting Hornby to announce a TPE 802 in summer given its mentioned in the catalogue but mysteriously isn't there.

I have a Hattons 66 on order that I aren't that excited about compared to the other stuff but given its a pink one it's a bit different and I like the celeb ones.

I could do with Dapol not doing a GBRF 59 until next year too!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Yes it's a difficult one, in an ideal situation I would have liked both of the TPE MK5 sets from Accurascale. But with so much due for release this year I have to think about my wishlist logically and as my controller can be a bit temperamental anyway, I can't have two separate trains running at once. So I always only run one train at a time.  With that in mind I don't actually need two MK5 sets. Technically if I am only buying one MK5 set I only need two TPE 68s at the most and not three. I will see what happens. I mean, if I decide to sell some more of my existing stock to make room for new stock, then I may still buy both of the two new 68s, because I will likely have some more money come Q3. 

Just to add on the 29th January ScotRail 68006 & Transpennine Express 68024 were spotted working a light engine movement together at Crewe. I believe this is the first time a ScotRail & Transpennine Express liveried pair of 68s have worked together. So that's another wacky sight/working that we can create on our model railways...

• Informative/Useful 1