Price of 6 pin DCC decoders

bigdiesel

If you are in the U.K. Look at buying your decoders from mainland European suppliers.

The savings aren't as good as they were before the £/€ exchange rate fell, but it's still a bit cheaper, especially for bulk buys.

Or buy from the USA.  You save on 20% VAT as HMRC don't collect the VAT for small values of goods.  And decoders are small so a small jifffy bag doesn't attract attention.

• RMweb Premium

Or buy from the USA.  You save on 20% VAT as HMRC don't collect the VAT for small values of goods.  And decoders are small so a small jifffy bag doesn't attract attention.

Have you done that Mike? I've often wondered, but it's such a pain when you get stung for fees, it would totally wipe out any saving. Tony's Trains look to be competitively priced.

Bigdiesel - I've used some LaisDCC decoders, they're of slightly questionable origin (it's been suggested they're TCS clones), and aren't the most refined, but for £10 a throw I'm happy putting them as function only decoders, and I've got a few in motorised units, they do me just fine.

Have you done that Mike? I've often wondered, but it's such a pain when you get stung for fees, it would totally wipe out any saving. Tony's Trains look to be competitively priced.

Bigdiesel - I've used some LaisDCC decoders, they're of slightly questionable origin (it's been suggested they're TCS clones), and aren't the most refined, but for £10 a throw I'm happy putting them as function only decoders, and I've got a few in motorised units, they do me just fine.

Yes, I've bought a number of Zimos from the US.  The supplier very helpfully puts the value on the customs sticker as $10.  I don't want to say too much as some members of this forum might be HMRC officials  :scratchhead:

Mike

Archived