• Moderators

The idea of building a model in 10.25in gauge came as I wondered around an engineering exhibition. Being a diesel fan and seeing a wealth of steam locomotives on display made me wonder why diesel electrics seemed so thin on the ground - especially given that radio control and battery power is so widely available now.

So, choosing a prototype wasn't hard - it had to be something different. And, by different, I mean popular. It seems like diesel fans are interested in building more obscure yet iconic locomotives like LMS 10000/10001 or 'Deltics' in 5 1/2in or 7 1/4in gauges. I want something different - a real showstopper, something that'll draw the crowds in, yet represent a mundane workhorse. It also has to be noisy too -  by that, read 'turbo diesel powered'.

Hence, a RES 47/7 prototype has been chosen and upon looking through the various names - it had to have 'Res' in it! - I settled on 'Respected', a name worn by 47776. The livery is my favourite to have been carried by the 47s.

post-8492-0-75640000-1487256536_thumb.jpg

Seen passing through Penmaenmawr on September 6, 2003, Respected hauls the 1D67 10.07 Birmingham New Street-Holyhead. JOHN EYRES

post-8492-0-22632800-1487256710_thumb.jpg

Seen at 'The Cross' 14/5/2003, with paintwork looking pretty shabby

post-8492-0-48011200-1487257276_thumb.jpg

A close up of the Highland Terrier applied above the nameplate in 2003

So, with prototype chosen, it was time to choose a scale. It's got to be something you can see, so, no messing - 10.25in gauge it is! Wary of its size when complete - 3.5m x 0.5m x 0.7m, it's not a project for the faint-hearted. Hopefully, over the next few years, bit by bit, it'll materialise. And, once complete and if you're interested and following this, you can bet your bottom dollar you'll be offered a ride on it as it tours the 10.25in gauge railways of the country! 

• Like 8

• Moderators

Seems like a nice place to start is with the nameplates. A quick call to a nameplate manufacturer revealed everything I needed to know about nameplates.

Collaborating with Justin Noble from ScaleModelScenery.com, I downloaded the true Frutiger font, as used on Res Class 47 nameplates and with some photoshopping, measuring and tinkering, we came up with the following...

....OK, so this is just a bit of a drawing. I'll take a slitting disc to the gap between the 'c' and 't'...

post-8492-0-81358400-1487271786_thumb.jpg

Now, all laser-cut and ready to be glued. Just like scrabble. Four laminations and patience - that's all.

post-8492-0-79864300-1487272296_thumb.jpg

...but this is more like it...

post-8492-0-28919700-1487271826_thumb.jpg

And with that, it's off to the casters today. Here's to seeing them come back in aluminium.

Whilst that's going on (it's only a namplate!) I'm starting with the bogies. These are big items, very big items...

• Like 3

• Moderators

I hope you've got a big mantelpiece Howard.

How big's the layout?

:)  That's the beauty of it at this stage - there's so much planning and measuring, CAD etc. That can happen in my office and doesn't require space.

post-8492-0-87181600-1487275511_thumb.jpg

Here are the scale bogie plans I've been tinkering with...

post-8492-0-28121400-1487275537_thumb.jpg

This one gives a rough idea of its width...

post-8492-0-40258600-1487275582_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

As A 5 inch gauge builder who travels around the country on other club tracks,Can i ask you as i do not know,are there many clubs,Tracks in that scale,

And good luck with the build,I shall be following this. Garry

• Like 1

• Moderators

As A 5 inch gauge builder who travels around the country on other club tracks,Can i ask you as i do not know,are there many clubs,Tracks in that scale,

And good luck with the build,I shall be following this. Garry

There's a reasonable list here, but speaking to a chap who makes castings for the 10.25in gauge 'brigade', there's over 100 around the country when you take into account private individuals...most of these are kept hidden out of the way - for obvious reasons such as this one (unfortunately now dismantled). Best one for it to stretch its legs is the Wells & Walsingham which runs along a former standard gauge trackbed. Upon speaking to many of these, they don't mind visiting locomotives, provided - if a diesel - they don't interfere with steam galas or special weekends. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can see this being a very long, involved, build - but I am sure the end result will be worth the effort (and the wait).

Please keep us posted on this one.

I'm sure I'm not alone in looking forward to the progress reports.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

• Moderators

I can see this being a very long, involved, build - but I am sure the end result will be worth the effort (and the wait).

Please keep us posted on this one.

I'm sure I'm not alone in looking forward to the progress reports.

Huw.

Thanks Huw - add brave/insane to the list too!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I can see this being a very long, involved, build …

Thanks Huw - add brave/insane to the list too!

We'll find out in due course - but I'm sure a number of people (you included) will learn a lot in the process.

(Perhaps I should add that I've been telling myself something very similar about a much smaller - and much more straightforward - project I've been trying to "psych myself up" to build. On second thoughts … .)

Based on what I've seen and heard so far about your project, I'm expecting one major improvement over a number of small scale (OO and N) RTR models of this design. Some of them seem to be "duff" models - this promises to be a model of a Brush Type 4.

It will take as long as it takes.

Huw.

What an excellent project! I look forward to seeing this develop...if only I had the space, time, money.... :no:

I've got in front of me a copy of Rail Express 243/ August 2016, and in the modelling section (no. 148), there's an article on a 1/5th scale class 60 running on 10 1/4 inch track, built by David Moore. It sounds very similar to your project, and if yours weighs anything like the one in the magazine, you're going to need a heavy duty trailer! It weighs 1.8 tonnes and is 13' long.

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 1

• Moderators

What an excellent project! I look forward to seeing this develop...if only I had the space, time, money.... :no:

I've got in front of me a copy of Rail Express 243/ August 2016, and in the modelling section (no. 148), there's an article on a 1/5th scale class 60 running on 10 1/4 inch track, built by David Moore. It sounds very similar to your project, and if yours weighs anything like the one in the magazine, you're going to need a heavy duty trailer! It weighs 1.8 tonnes and is 13' long.

Thanks,

Jack.

Thanks for this Jack - I'll try to make contact with the owner, unless he's already on here?

• RMweb Premium

I think you need to be in contact with a guy called David Moore if you aren't already. I don't know your background but a project like this is undoubtedly more complicated than an equivalent steam loco, and is a lot more complicated than sticking a generating set in a class 47 shaped body. A lot of smaller gauge engineers get around this by simply having a gen-set in a body charging batteries which are used for traction current. If you want to take traction current direct from the power unit then you have to consider miniaturisation of key components like load regulators, electrical control cubicles and air systems. Dave has built his 10.25g class 60 over the last 20 years or so and is a proper diesel electric and as far as I am concerned is the final word in miniature diesel locomotives.

https://flic.kr/p/ohZkGj

https://flic.kr/p/oi1Fw7

https://flic.kr/p/HRdNpC

https://flic.kr/p/HRea4y

https://flic.kr/p/x1mY3S

Regards

Steve

• Like 3

First sentence, first post Giles! Late night sir?

Not so..... that's the gauge..... there are at least three very commonly used scales used for 10.25 locos, hence the question - particularly if you're trying to shoehorn a 6 cylinder diesel in!

My old archived site from which the 10.25 Society originally sprang is here

http://gilesfavell.com/giles%20railway%20site.htm

Edited by Giles

Your 1:5.51 brings it in at approximately 1:2 3/16 (equivalent) which is a little smaller than the smallest shown on this page for comparison. The problem will of course be the width and fitting an engine in (I've done it!) Insofar as it will reduce your options.

Other hypothetical alternatives would be the Kabota type two or three cylinder diesel, which would do a good job, but at cost of autenticity.

dd7a48f729f3017407101a9dd60be448_zpslyyp

http://gilesfavell.com/Scale.htm

Edited by Giles
  • Like 1

Not so..... that's the gauge..... there are at least three very commonly used scales used for 10.25 locos, hence the question - particularly if you're trying to shoehorn a 6 cylinder diesel in!

My old archived site from which the 10.25 Society originally sprang is here

http://gilesfavell.com/giles%20railway%20site.htm

Hat, coat, exit stage right at the rush. Hat doffed.