Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

If you are going to start running North British 22's, you need to blacken your rails and chairs. The West Country was famous for it after the oil spillers arrived.

Hence the Oily puddles in the Yard then Larry, hahha :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

In that case, Bachmann have put the hinges on the wrong way up Kevin, on Pencarne I had the same gate mounted on the wall and working.

I would have to say yes they have, it's one of those things I see everywhere.

Even the gate on my son's new house was wrong and was sagging but as soon as I added a counterbrace (the other way) it was fine.

This is the best picture I have found to show the correct way - 

post-8925-0-78424900-1508689705.jpg

It's all to do with the triangulation and pushing the load down onto the hinge which in turn is fixed to the post so static

So ends building tip 48.

I wonder have many people will now look outside to see if theirs are fitted right.....?????

• Like 1

I would have to say yes they have, it's one of those things I see everywhere.

Even the gate on my son's new house was wrong and was sagging but as soon as I added a counterbrace (the other way) it was fine.

This is the best picture I have found to show the correct way - 

attachicon.gif1446564399245.jpg

It's all to do with the triangulation and pushing the load down onto the hinge which in turn is fixed to the post so static

So ends building tip 48.

I wonder have many people will now look outside to see if theirs are fitted right.....?????

Yes your right, I have built a few myself, I've just been out to look at our new one we had fitted earlier this year and its as below! :no:

post-9335-0-06400300-1508690726_thumb.png

Edited by Andrew P

The bottom half is supporting the top half, ideally the top brace should follow the bottom one but I suspect it's a gate designed to be hinged either side.

So all you do is keep the hinged side and turn it upside down to be hung from the other side.

Amazing what we have veered off into.........how are your sheep?

I think I will be buying some of those myself especially as they appear to do lambs as well.....

The bottom half is supporting the top half, ideally the top brace should follow the bottom one but I suspect it's a gate designed to be hinged either side.

So all you do is keep the hinged side and turn it upside down to be hung from the other side.

Amazing what we have veered off into.........how are your sheep?

I think I will be buying some of those myself especially as they appear to do lambs as well.....

Yes a unitfit Gate and some nice leaping Lambs in the packs Kevin.

• Like 2

Hi Andy,

I especially like the second picture in the last set of the Cl24 & train. The way its leaning into the curve and the angle the photo's taken from. Very much like photos of the real railway.

Looking really good.

Cheers, Les

Lots of great pics Andy - nice to see more progress and some pictures from the other masterpiece that was Pencarne.

Thanks Andy, It was good to look at Pen again, and I found some Ideas that I'd used on Pen and forgotten about.

• Like 2

Hi Andy,

I especially like the second picture in the last set of the Cl24 & train. The way its leaning into the curve and the angle the photo's taken from. Very much like photos of the real railway.

Looking really good.

Cheers, Les

Thanks Les, the camber of the Rail isn't much, but just enough to be effective visually, and was well worth doing.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Superb work on the pictures - totally agree with selling them or prints - this time next year you could be a millionaire!!

Layout is looking superb too .. hopefully this week somepoint I’ll find time to have a catch up with you! Glad to hear your enjoying the layout and running sessions.

Rich

• Like 3

Hi Andy,

Superb work on the pictures - totally agree with selling them or prints - this time next year you could be a millionaire!!

Layout is looking superb too .. hopefully this week somepoint I’ll find time to have a catch up with you! Glad to hear your enjoying the layout and running sessions.

Rich

That would be good to have a catch up mate, we are away from 4th Nov for 10 day to escape the worst of the Fireworks, although they have already started around here, so all you'll get here is the House sitter, haha.

• Like 2

Pictures look great and the yard works well, especially when viewed from a distance taking the whole area in.

but could I be a tiny bit picky..........the large yard gate leading into the yard is upside down - the brace should go the other way to provide the triangulation support - sorry it's just one's of those things I notice.

Not strictly true, you are confusing a ledged and braced door design with a diagonally braced horizontal gate.  Although the braces of a vertically hung door do indeed point inwards from the top of the shutting stile to the hanging stile, and are therefore in compression, a crossing gate is a very different thing.

Here, the wooden braces are diagonal, and serve only to ensure the dimensional integrity of the gate - the weight of the gate is carried at the hanging stile by massive cast iron hinges, and at the shutting stile by a wrought iron bar which runs from  there, back to either the top of the hanging stile, or more often, to the gate post itself, which carries a separate pivot for this support bar, which of course, is in tension:

This is a derivative of the traditional wooden five barred gate shown here:

and is designed to cope with the enormous weight of crossing gates, especially when only a single leaf is used, as in the first photo.

Regards, Mike

Not strictly true, you are confusing a ledged and braced door design with a diagonally braced horizontal gate.  Although the braces of a vertically hung door do indeed point inwards from the top of the shutting stile to the hanging stile, and are therefore in compression, a crossing gate is a very different thing.

Here, the wooden braces are diagonal, and serve only to ensure the dimensional integrity of the gate - the weight of the gate is carried at the hanging stile by massive cast iron hinges, and at the shutting stile by a wrought iron bar which runs from  there, back to either the top of the hanging stile, or more often, to the gate post itself, which carries a separate pivot for this support bar, which of course, is in tension:

attachicon.gifcrossing gate.jpg

attachicon.giffive bar gate.jpg

and is designed to cope with the enormous weight of crossing gates, especially when only a single leaf is used, as in the first photo.

Regards, Mike

Not sure where the pictures went!

Thanks, I did wonder, hahha, very good info.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifcrossing gate.jpg

attachicon.giffive bar gate.jpg

Regards, Mike

Mike, I think that you and Kevin (KNP) are talking about different gates - in your case the level crossing gate and in his the gate into the dairy yard.

Mike, I think that you and Kevin (KNP) are talking about different gates - in your case the level crossing gate and in his the gate into the dairy yard.

Yes the discussion started with comments about the Goods Yard gate, the same as the Dairy Gate I used on Pencarne.

SORRY TO CONFUSE.