Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

An excellent day with some interesting conversations and great company.

Here's hoping that tomorrow isn't as bad as forecast.

Glad you had a good time Duncan, and you now have a VERY DIRTY Q1, we will see what tomorrow brings.

What a day, after helping Mrs M sort the stables out and walking the hounds I ventured to Church Gresely. All was going well so I thought , Newark in 1hr 15mins, best time ever. Then I sat there for over 1/2 hour. It was after the emergency services came past I thought I am going to be here a long time so I might turn round and head to Nottingham along the Mansfield road. No sat nav just working on natural direction and sign posts. I ended up at Peter and Andy's club house later than planned. :umbrage:

No problems getting home despite departing a tad later than I planned, my tea was still warm when I got in. :imsohappy:

As for the middle bit of the day, BIG THANK to the Gresely and Wychnor Model Railway Group, I had a great time. was wonderful to meet Lance Comical 911(Duncan) and Tony. Bob's layout looked very nice. I still find the big 0 gauge layout downstairs brilliant (but I am not tempted). The refreshments, especially the mince pies went down well, thanks to the catering staff. :yes:

As for the sad old boy in the corner making his trains dirty.......................... 

CLIVE Clive Clive, Old Chap, really good to see you today, glad the journey home was un eventful. You know O Gauge is for GROW UPS :senile:  and green cans for the Boys :O

Hope to see you again soon mate, maybe the Nottingham Show or somewhere.

• Like 2

Andy. Remind me in the morning to take some photos with the Q1 along side a clean one

Duncan, don't forget to take some pics of the clean Q1 next to the Weathered one in the morning. :O  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no: hahhah just in case I forget in the morning. :stinker:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:

• RMweb Gold

What’s the matter with a bit of snow. Some of us remember 1947 (probably not but our parents talked about it for years) while 1963 was but a few years ago (it didn’t start snowing until New Years Eve) and that I do remember, being stuck at the PYG for three days and enjoying every minute of it!

Remember both 47 and 63 ... the latter driving on 5" of ice on the way back from Wales having earlier travelled on the A40 which had snow piled up much higher each side than my van.

Edited by PeterBB

• RMweb Premium

What’s the matter with a bit of snow. Some of us remember 1947 (probably not but our parents talked about it for years) while 1963 was but a few years ago (it didn’t start snowing until New Years Eve) and that I do remember, being stuck at the PYG for three days and enjoying every minute of it!

Started on Boxing Day 1962 in London.

Remember both 47 and 63 ... the latter driving on 5" of ice on the way back from Wales having earlier travelled on the A40 which had snow piled up much higher each side than my van.

And in Gloucester.

I was a mere 12 years Old in Christmas 62 so can't remember much, but probably went out to play in the Snow.

• Like 3

I reposted that lovely group photo and said what a great day I had on faceache.

One of my (now ex) friend's said "Many years ago, a mother had sextuplets....." :mosking: :mosking:

YOU HAVE FRIENDS?  WOW  :no:  :no:  :no:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:

A great shame since you appear to be a most healthy club with splendid layouts and deserve the visitors. 

Thanks Ian, Yes we do work hard, and we put on the two events each year (Easter and Mince Pie) to pay the Bill's as membership is only £40 P/A, (inc FREE tea, coffee and biscuits on Club nights). We have 4 / 5 permanent Layouts, they are the G Scale, 2 x O Gauge Wychnor on Trent, and Dornoch, and the OO Coopers Dale / Marston. plus Thomas and a new N Gauge Layout just being started. plus several Members Exhibition Layouts.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Andy

I will PM my home address to you so you know where to post the surplus mince pies to.

Inc FREE tea, coffee and biscuits on Club nights) ... also now FREE Mince Pies on club nights for the foreseeable future!

Sorry to hear about having to cancel the remaining day.

I know how important these shows are for raising revenue to keep the clubs going.

Will you be arranging another one to plug the gap?

After all you have all these mince pies going spare?

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about having to cancel the remaining day.

I know how important these shows are for raising revenue to keep the clubs going.

Will you be arranging another one to plug the gap?

After all you have all these mince pies going spare?

Not thought about that one Kevin, Peter BB, (Rht Hon Sec), and the rest of the Committee can think about that one. I came off the committee a couple of years back when I wasn't well, but mid January sounds like a plan to me.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And in Berkshire.  Got even more on the night before our annual Sunday pilgrimage to Swindon on the Sunday around New Year - never got to Swindon, in fact didn't even leave our local station as the branch bubble car got stuck in drifting snow near Wargrave on the way down.  Also had an extra week off school thanks to the snow.

Sorry to hear about the show not going on Andy.

Edited by The Stationmaster

On the way up to Snowdonia from Porthmadog on New Year's Eve 1962 I remember looking at Aberglaslyn Pass and seeing no snow.  Later that evening we were advised that the road we had driven up was closed so we spent the next three nights at the Pen y Gwryd where they had at least stocked up with plenty of beer and logs for the fire to see us through.

I am sure there was a reason for no snow until then - first the weather system was from the east, second, Cardigan Bay does benefit from the Gulf Stream.  In Kings Moreton Country there's a saying:  "Stow on the Wold where the wind blows cold"  It does, the other saying is that "Stow is on the first hill west of Siberia".  That one would be a Cotswold fabrication.  There, back on topic!

• Like 4