Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

Dear Mr Peters

I have spent the last month reading through your posts about the many and varied layouts you have built, and have enjoyed nearly every moment as not only do you create inspirational layouts, you do it all with humour, humility and a "warts and all" writing style that creates a real "author's voice" (for some odd reason, you sound like my Uncle Ron, who was a lovely man). Your regular "contributors" all help in that too (I am still chuckling at the sausage factory hijack of the Bitton thread!).

There were a couple of things I have not enjoyed as much ... your bouts of quite serious ill health (written about so lightheartedly by yourself) which made me quite anxious about whether you were going to be okay or not (although not half as much as for yourself, family and friends) and then learning - but a few days after my own 50th birthday - that you had sold King's Moreton! Why, I berate myself, did I not read a bit quicker (instead of sleeping, for example) so I might have been in time to bid for a suitably "big" birthday present?! There's a converted loft space just the right size....

Seriously, thank you for sharing all your posts, photos and videos, and wishing you good health and a long and happy future of continued, unpressured modelling. I will continue to eagerly await any future posts you upload, when and if you feel ready.

In awe

Steve S

Wow Steve, Firstly a big thanks for all your kind comments, and secondly you need some sort of award for ploughing through some of my Trollope that I put on here, that's true dedication, Cheers.

I tend to enjoy the building of my layouts, and having done quite a few Exhibitions with various Layouts, and having been in a Band, I guess I like to be an entertainer, and I hope that comes across in my ramblings. 

The BIG 5 0 seems a long time ago for me now at 68, but when I think back at some of the Layouts I've built in those years, and the fun and frustrations I've had along the way, I still wouldn't change any of it. Even the H/A in Jan was a lesson in how to slow down, but still get enjoyment from the Hobby.

I've made so many friends here on R M Web, and some, like George T, who showed me RMW, have been friends for more years than I care to remember. We both blame each other, in a light hearted way for all the money the Hobby has cost us over the years, where we often change direction, like now with my move to full time O Gauge.

For more silliness, and banter keep tuned into Radio Pen Y Bont, or Seven Mill Sidings, in the 7mm Section.

Thanks again Steve.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Wow Steve, Firstly a big thanks for all your kind comments, and secondly you need some sort of award for ploughing through some of my Trollope that I put on here, that's true dedication, Cheers.

Trollope......name for the next layout, Andy?

I know this thread has kind of run its course, but having wrote that last night at an ungodly hour and my iPad dying on me a few minutes later, I should say that the 'marathon' has not felt like that at all - more like one of those books that grab you and you *have* to turn to the next page.

I dabbled (badly) in OO and OO9 as a teenager - I returned earlier this year via Ebay and a Hornby Sentinel, and since then have sunk WAY too much money already into random purchases! (All in the name of being good for the soul and restoring a little spark of happiness into quite a bleak personal time.) I am planning to unashamedly "copy" some of the scenes you created, Andy, to help develop and practice non-existent skills - your scene composition proves your artistic eye again and again.

I will continue reading and learning from the many talented modellers on this forum ... what I need to do is work out how the "follow" buttons work!

Steve S

• Like 1

Trollope......

A friend of mine moved to the country.  One day, trying to impress his new missus, he mentioned he was reading Trollope to the local Vicar.  Which he wasn't.

A few weeks later the Vic asked, 'How's the Trollope?'

'I left her at home this week' said my chum without thinking.

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Funny 1

Follow button is top right of the page, then click on follow instantly, and every new post will show on the right of the index page, you can follow quite a few threads that way, and not have to look for them.

As for copying, I take my camera to Shows, and sometimes take as many as 150 to 200 pics, of ANY SCALE but intrersting areas / dioramas etc to get inspiration from later when I need to fill a corner etc.

All the best and enjoy.

• Like 1

I tend to enjoy the building of my layouts, and having done quite a few Exhibitions with various Layouts, and having been in a Band, I guess I like to be an entertainer, and I hope that comes across in my ramblings. 

The BIG 5 0 seems a long time ago for me now at 68, but when I think back at some of the Layouts I've built in those years, and the fun and frustrations I've had along the way, I still wouldn't change any of it. Even the H/A in Jan was a lesson in how to slow down, but still get enjoyment from the Hobby.

I've made so many friends here on R M Web, and some, like George T, who showed me RMW, have been friends for more years than I care to remember. We both blame each other, in a light hearted way for all the money the Hobby has cost us over the years, where we often change direction, like now with my move to full time O Gauge

For more silliness, and banter keep tuned into Radio Pen Y Bont, or Seven Mill Sidings, in the 7mm Section.

Thanks again Steve.

Now you are going over to the big beasts will we be seeing you on a 360cc CZ at Farliegh Castle instead of a 250?

Now you are going over to the big beasts will we be seeing you on a 360cc CZ at Farliegh Castle instead of a 250?

I did have an Ex Works 400 for a short while, far to viscous. In fact it was evil, I couldn't keep the front wheel down.

Not my pic, or bike. but the same as.

post-9335-0-81093900-1534887067.jpg

I did have an Ex Works 400 for a short while, far to viscous. In fact it was evil, I couldn't keep the front wheel down.

Not my pic, or bike. but the same as.

attachicon.gifcz-400-mx-9.jpg

Well, that brings the memories flooding back ! The best I could handle or my wallet could afford was a 250cc Greeves Griffon, tuned by Mike Bavin that was rated as the fastest Greeves in the Eastern Centre at the time although could never match the speed of the CZ's in the dry but was far more manageable than they were if it was wet! My travelling companion was a mate who was a maths teacher, and who was very short sighted with pebble glasses and even raced in them but still couldn't see very far in front of him. He rode a very powerful 360Cc Greeves so you can imagine the shenanigans with him hardly being able to see very far in front of him and a powerful bike with a mind of its own !

All a distant memory now though , but my life long love of steam engines still continues. I love reading about KM and some of the other superb models on RM web. All very inspirational as I make snails pace progress with my own (steam era) project.

• Like 3

Well, that brings the memories flooding back ! The best I could handle or my wallet could afford was a 250cc Greeves Griffon, tuned by Mike Bavin that was rated as the fastest Greeves in the Eastern Centre at the time although could never match the speed of the CZ's in the dry but was far more manageable than they were if it was wet! My travelling companion was a mate who was a maths teacher, and who was very short sighted with pebble glasses and even raced in them but still couldn't see very far in front of him. He rode a very powerful 360Cc Greeves so you can imagine the shenanigans with him hardly being able to see very far in front of him and a powerful bike with a mind of its own !

All a distant memory now though , but my life long love of steam engines still continues. I love reading about KM and some of the other superb models on RM web. All very inspirational as I make snails pace progress with my own (steam era) project.

Nice story Jazzer, thanks for sharing your memories, they were good times.

If you have a love of Steam, fear not, Pen Y Bont will continue again soon over in the 7mm section.

Cheers.

• 2 years later...
14 minutes ago, 5944 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-Railway-Layout-00-gauge-/193905673483?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Bit of a surprise to see this on Ebay this afternoon. I'd be very tempted if a) my shed was complete and b) of it actually fit in the shed! 

I sold the Layout back  in 2018, I heard last week that unfortunately the Lovely Chap I sold it to had passed away, so obviously some one else is now selling it. It was and I'm sure still is, a superb Layout.

• Friendly/supportive 4

Sad to see it in the photos!

Looks like it will need a good overhaul after it has been removed from its present location.

I think it is hard to fit layouts that other people have constructed in to your available space.
Your layout is listed as 17’x8.5’. If you only had 16’x8’ where would you make the cuts?

(Sadly I do not have room for it. Though maybe it could be squeezed into the kitchen!)

Watch out you may get contacted to help sort it out!

Edited by muddy water
  • Funny 2

The width would not be a problem, just re do the Canal / old door lift out section, and do away with the main Station, I'm guessing the guy that's selling it still has the buildings in a box somewhere.

Shortening the length would be the main problem. I wish I had room for it in my new abode, but I only have 15ft x 7ft so way to small an area.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, andyram said:

If my garage was empty I would have snapped it up! Sadly, it is full of accumulated junk.

So's mine, 2 x O Gauge Layouts, 5 Guitars, Amp, all my Art stuff and lots of spare timber for other projects, and not forgetting the 14 O Gauge Loco boxes and many Wagon boxes all in big plastic tubs. In fact there's hardly room for me in the new abode.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 20/02/2021 at 17:38, 5944 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-Railway-Layout-00-gauge-/193905673483?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Bit of a surprise to see this on Ebay this afternoon. I'd be very tempted if a) my shed was complete and b) of it actually fit in the shed! 

And somebody remembered that I said I would have bid for it for my big 5-0 and sent me a PM pointing me towards it on eBay. How times change - 53 in August and due to a strange year of little work as a supply teacher and furlough calculated in a way that it came out at approx 20% of my weekly income and not 80% (like anyone in full time contracted work) I'm not in a monetary position to bid on it!

I do hope that it finds a good home - too good a layout not to.

Steve S

(Who now knows how to "follow" a thread, but still not how to "link" to one!)

• Friendly/supportive 3

10 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

And somebody remembered that I said I would have bid for it for my big 5-0 and sent me a PM pointing me towards it on eBay. How times change - 53 in August and due to a strange year of little work as a supply teacher and furlough calculated in a way that it came out at approx 20% of my weekly income and not 80% (like anyone in full time contracted work) I'm not in a monetary position to bid on it!

I do hope that it finds a good home - too good a layout not to.

Steve S

(Who now knows how to "follow" a thread, but still not how to "link" to one!)

Near the top of each Thread is a Blue Box with the word follow, click on that, and I don't select notify, but any posts on that thread will show in contents I follow.

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, andyram said:

If my garage was empty I would have snapped it up! Sadly, it is full of accumulated junk.

Your garage is Just like those of the rest of us then.

Edited by PeterBB
typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

19 hours ago, andyram said:

I messaged the seller to enquire about the station buildings. He does not have them (or so he claims). 

The seller is me, Andy, and I am not “claiming” anything of the sort, the layout as shown in the photo’s us exactly how I received it. 

• Friendly/supportive 3