Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

1 hour ago, Tony Davis said:

The seller is me, Andy, and I am not “claiming” anything of the sort, the layout as shown in the photo’s us exactly how I received it. 

Thanks Tony, please do not misinterpret the use of the word “claim”. I was not suggesting anything untrue on your part, I was just giving more information as part of the conversation. It was not intended to imply any dishonesty on your part and I thank you for the message. Incidentally I would like to chat to you regarding the layout because I know an interested party.

Edited by andyram
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Quick update; “Kings Moreton”

now has a new owner. Thanks to andyram I was put in touch with

someone who is going to renovate the layout. 

As a benchmark, for those

who haven’t seen it, here is a photo of how the layout looks now. (close your eyes andrew_p!)

D96111C9-3F21-429C-B86B-CBDA9954FD9F.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, Tony Davis said:

Quick update; “Kings Moreton”

now has a new owner. Thanks to andyram I was put in touch with

someone who is going to renovate the layout. 

As a benchmark, for those

who haven’t seen it, here is a photo of how the layout looks now. (close your eyes andrew_p!)

D96111C9-3F21-429C-B86B-CBDA9954FD9F.jpeg

Thanks to Tony for all his help. I can confirm that Kings Morton has been purchased by a good friend and customer of mine who is the chair of the fledgling Matlock Bath model club. The club has had a traumatic recent history, being forced to leave their premises whilst the landlord undertakes some serious renovations to the building. After a year away they have been allowed to return and take on their old club rooms for a peppercorn rent in exchange for completing the internal restoration. 

Their plan is to open the rooms as a permanent exhibition similar to a mini-Wroxham. The exhibition is located next to my shop, in the old galleries above the cafe in the George Centre court yard. Prior to November lockdown things had been progressing with all display areas cleared and a ticket office, in the style of station booking office, being constructed. Work on a main display layout had begun but had not got far when lockdown hit. The resulting pause led to some members drifting away and now a very small team has been left to try and take the baton forward.

Following discussions with Tony, and the chair of the group, I am pleased to confirm that the group have agreed to purchase Kings Moreton and their plan is to renovate it to become a centre piece of this new display and the club's main running layout. I have offered to assist with any scenic repairs etc. If Andy.p's permits, I will happily update the layout topic as often as possible with news of the layout's new life. 

The other members of the club are not computer savvy and are not members of RMWeb. On their behalf I would like to thank Tony for all his help with the saving and sale of Kings Moreton.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 5

Great to see KM in safe hands and I look forward to the MANY up dates that will follow. The Layout had, and still has some great potential as can be seen in the many Videos of the Layout that I produced as a lasting memory. A couple of my favourite areas were the Sheep in the Field behind the KM Signal Box, and the Canal Section. I wish the Club well and  hope they start to get some previous and new members to help with its restoration and re build.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Great to see KM in safe hands and I look forward to the MANY up dates that will follow. The Layout had, and still has some great potential as can be seen in the many Videos of the Layout that I produced as a lasting memory. A couple of my favourite areas were the Sheep in the Field behind the KM Signal Box, and the Canal Section. I wish the Club well and  hope they start to get some previous and new members to help with its restoration and re build.

I take that I have your permission to maintain the layout thread then Andy :wink_mini:

• Like 5

Congratulations to the group, and sounds like the layout and the building deserve a good restoration and a great future! All the very best to you and the group Andy. 

Must be a nice feeling Andy P?  like watching your own branch come back from the beeching cuts! 

Perhaps "Beeching Cut" could be the name of the hillside! 

I agree, the canal section was my favourite bit. Plenty of character. 

Look forward to seeing the progress. 

Many thanks, 

John 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tony Davis said:

Right, it’s on it’s way home! Safely packed on Pete’s van (must admit I thought it might not all fit in) and

off to Derbyshire (via our local shop chips)

I’m now looking forward to seeing the restoration pictures.

That is great news. I await to hear from Pete that he has arrived safely arrived at the new location. I have promised to meet Pete at the club room at some point to look over the layout and discuss a plan. That may be Monday once I know this morning's Covid jab has not produced any side effects.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tony Davis said:

I had my jab on Thursday, slight headache in the evening and that was about it.

A friend of mine had the same. My wife, Sarah, was laid up in bed from early evening to the following mid-day with  side effects etc.  Different people react in different ways so hopefully I will get away with minor side effects. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

From a sample of not very many, Pfizer gives a sore arm, AZ gives a headache.

Paul.

My Wife had the Pfizer and I had the Oxford, and neither of us had any symptoms, except I had a sore arm, BUT NOT the one that was injected, figure that one out.:notme:

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I can confirm that Kings Morton has arrived in Matlock Bath and has been unloaded into the club room. I may get to catch up with Pete (the new owner) on Monday whilst at the shop for a click and collect.

I can also confirm the vaccine side effects have kicked in and I am off to bed early.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

I had a brief, socially distanced catch up with Pete today and he allowed me into the club room to view Kings Moreton. The layout has been laid out on the floor for the time being whilst the new support system is being built. This is already well underway. Overall - the main four track section and associated yards are all in decent condition aside from some small scenic elements which will need repairing. The lift up section, with canal bridge and buildings and the subsequent corner all appear in decent condition. The two track station likewise. The station building is missing from here and the signal box is also missing from the four track sections so replacements will be needed at some point. The main attention will be on the main station area and fiddle yard + branch terminus section. Pete has asked if I will assist with the scenic work on these areas which I have agreed to do.

The main challenge for the group will be replacing damaged track in the main station area and also the fiddle yard + branch terminus. Somebody in their team will also need to work out the wiring. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 1 month later...

Yesterday, whilst visiting the my shop to complete preparations for today's reopening, I caught up with Pete and had a chance to view the progress on Kings Moreton. The support system has been completed and the layout is now back up on legs at a working height. The regular members of the group have decided to rewire for analogue control because most of them have mainly analogue collections. Rewiring has started and train can now run from the remains of Kings Moreton station along the main scenic section, over the canal bridge and to the smaller station (Dore End?)

Here are a couple of pictures of the work in progress state of the layout at present.

IMG_3343.jpg.583654daf6b3e437eada3f621c00af62.jpgIMG_3203.jpg.8e3595166f42ebd1524e96e2a1a00d17.jpg

• Like 17

Back at the shop today and I managed to catch up with Pete again. Further work has been undertaken with some replacement track laid and wiring completed. A train can now travel around one of the circuits.

Providing government restrictions ease as planned, the group can start to allow visitors into the building in the middle of next month. They are working to get Kings Moreton presentable in time. They are also looking to display other working layouts too but none of their other projects are close to being completed. They may be on the look out for loans or other layouts for sale.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

A small update on Kings Morton and the rest of the project. I popped up to the club room during a quiet and wet Bank Holiday. All three committee members were present and their wiring expert was busy on the rewrire of the layout. He praised Andy’s work stating how easy it was to renovate the electrics for analogue control. They hope to have both circuits working by the end of the week. No further scenic work has been undertaken on the layout. This has been due to work on other areas of the building.

Beyond the main room, the building has several small shop units from the old galleries. These are being restored as different themed displays. One will be a mock up of an old fashioned toy shop, whilst another will include a display of Hornby memorabilia. The group have rescued another layout,  

based on the TrackMat. This is now in place and will be wired for a push button operation. Some of the group were busy sorting this room out today and I have been only too happy to donate some former shop display items to the project.

At some point, with their permission, I will try and share some more photos. 

• Like 7