Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

All about this:

scared the beejsus out of me aged 10

Thats what happens when you're desperate and chase a piece of Izal down the track. 

Should have use One Sheet !

L.A.Vatory

That cutting looks much improved Andy.

Thanks Andy,  No more was done in TOPS today, but I hope to be in there tomorrow.

Now with the first two Fields looking O.K. I hope to move on to the main / central board tomorrow, and that will involve inserting a Country Lane somewhere along it's length, with Fields either side if there's room.

• RMweb Gold

Agh yes the Cows, :O  I wondered is someone would mention the Cows, but I thought it would be about the cleanness of them, not the Colour, I will treat them to some paint and a weathering job once all the main scenic's are done and I start to super detail each area. For example in the Cow Field, it needs some muddy tracks and a lot of Mud around the feeding trough and Gate at a later date as well. :sungum:

Not to mention the cow pats!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike, Kevin, LMSForever and Clive, I have to say,, I'm really pleased I made an early start and got it done. Mike I hadn't realised the WR Burnt off the Grass on the embankments.

Thanks Guys, your support and input is always appreciated.

The official plan was two burns a year - one in the spring as soon as it was dry enough and the second in the early autumn.  The idea was of course to restrict growth and the main thing it did was get shot of any bushes/trees which might be getting underway as well as taking the grass right down so it then wouldn't catch fire accidentally with the passage of trains..

Seemingly an interesting process when carried out next to a field of wheat etc and what would sometime be done was to turn over the ground near the fenceline to make a small firebreak (which - I've been told - didn't always work.  I can remember from my childhood seeing fence posts on fire at teh lineside as well - old creosoted sleepers tended to catch quite easily I suppose! Some gangs would however use scythes instead of burning in areas next to fields of crops.  The process gradually came to an end with dieselisation but really the thing which ended it was the end of local perway gangs in the late 1960s

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a BiL who has land adjacent to a preserved railway and can remember one Sunday afternoon when the cry went up that the hedges were on fire.  I am not aware that the railway itself realised that but I do know that we shot down quickly to stop it spreading and put it out.  It remains a bugbear for preserved steam railways as I also remember many years ago seeing it happen on the GCR.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

I have a BiL who has land adjacent to a preserved railway and can remember one Sunday afternoon when the cry went up that the hedges were on fire.  I am not aware that the railway itself realised that but I do know that we shot down quickly to stop it spreading and put it out.  It remains a bugbear for preserved steam railways as I also remember many years ago seeing it happen on the GCR.

Peter

The Bluebell used to have its own volunteer fire brigade and a Fire Train to deal with such things.

This morning I've made a start on the A 34 Oxford By-Pass,well actually it'll be a Country Lane, (Meadowlands Lane), Phase 1 done, hopefully phase 2 later, if I don't fall asleep in the chair first. :O

post-9335-0-03659700-1502801632_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-73811100-1502801645_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-24247700-1502801661_thumb.jpg

Phase 2 will include more Mod Rock and Green Shirts, and as I'm out tomorrow and Thursday that will give it plenty of time to set.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 6

This morning I've made a start on the A 34 Oxford By-Pass,well actually it'll be a Country Lane, (Meadowlands Lane), Phase 1 done, hopefully phase 2 later, if I don't fall asleep in the chair first. :O

attachicon.gifRoad 1 001.JPG

attachicon.gifRoad 1 002.JPG

attachicon.gifRoad 1 003.JPG

Phase 2 will include more Mod Rock and Green Shirts, and as I'm out tomorrow and Thursday that will give it plenty of time to set.

Last picture shows, when finished, how dramatic it will look with that graceful sweep of the track.

You called it a lane will that mean it will be loose material and a tarmac road?

Don't know about you but it's very warm down here so if you have the same the ModRoc will dry fast....

Looking good.

How many green shirts to you have as there seems to be quite a few used? with more stacked up in the back ground!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

Last picture shows, when finished, how dramatic it will look with that graceful sweep of the track.

You called it a lane will that mean it will be loose material and a tarmac road?

Don't know about you but it's very warm down here so if you have the same the ModRoc will dry fast....

Looking good.

How many green shirts to you have as there seems to be quite a few used? with more stacked up in the back ground!

Thanks Kevin, I had, I think it was 9 Green Shirts, i.e 4 per 4 day shift plus a spare, and 4 in the wash. I'd been there about a year when they decided that Office Staff should have Black Polo Shirts, so I have 8 or 9 Black 0nes as well, plus 3 Green sweaters, 4 pairs (2 still not used) of Black M & S Trousers, and a great big winter Jacket and 2 Ski Hats, well looked after or what! :sungum:

I've changed the road slightly from the pics above. all will be revealed, but either way, the sweep of the Tracks below looks awesome now.

Mod Rock drying well. :sungum:

• Like 2

Meadowlands Lane, Phase 2 & 3.

The original ideas / thoughts was to have Fields either side of the Lane, but the front ones looked far to long and narrow, so I've moved the Road nearer to the Backscene, and this has give a far better look and still works with the ''T'' Junction.

So Phase 2.

post-9335-0-06159400-1502809881_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-63007000-1502809898_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-16646500-1502809915_thumb.jpg

Phase 3.

post-9335-0-77143300-1502809945_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-68494400-1502809961_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-53625900-1502809977_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-57280600-1502809993_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Kevin, I had, I think it was 9 Green Shirts, i.e 4 per 4 day shift plus a spare, and 4 in the wash. I'd been there about a year when they decided that Office Staff should have Black Polo Shirts, so I have 8 or 9 Black 0nes as well, plus 3 Green sweaters, 4 pairs (2 still not used) of Black M & S Trousers, and a great big winter Jacket and 2 Ski Hats, well looked after or what! :sungum:

I've changed the road slightly from the pics above. all will be revealed, but either way, the sweep of the Tracks below looks awesome now.

Mod Rock drying well. :sungum:

Did they make you wear green shreddies as well?

• RMweb Gold

Andy would that be the late David Clarke who was involved with the GCR at one time?  He had a fully signalled layout with trains run to the signals using rdadio control - it was housed in a barn although alas I never got to see it.

Yes Mike  - he had a hand in a number of Trusts.  This is in the barn but as part of the 10 year 'putting together' process it was 'rebuilt' and with a roof.  Visit is by booking only as there is only enough clear room round it for one person, apart from the viewing mezzanine at the end, so that the operators have to squeeze by as they operate their rakes.  It is really worth going to see - the quality is superb and, as you can see in the photographs, with radio control and battery operated, way ahead of its time.

Peter

Edit - spelling only

Edited by PeterBB

• RMweb Gold

Yes Mike  - he had a hand in a number of Trusts.  This is in the barn but as part of the 10 year 'putting together' process it was 'rebuilt' and with a roof.  Visit is by booking only as there is only enough clear room round it for one person, apart from the viewing mezzanine at the end, so that the operators have to squeeze by as they operate their rakes.  It is really worth going to see - the quality is superb and, as you can see in the photographs, with radio control and battery operated, way ahead of its time.

Peter

Edit - spelling only

Thanks Peter - good to see that it has survived as I did wonder what would happen to it when I heard that he'd died.  Some of it was very ground breaking technically and i understood from him when i met hem, a good many years back of course, that a lot of effort went into getting the battery system to work with sufficient power to run the sort of trains he wanted. 

• Like 2