Smallbrook Studios

matto21

Hey all,

I've been out of railway modelling for a long time now. Narrow gauge has always been a interest I've had on the back-burner. I recently came across Smallbrook Studios online. Does anyone have any experience with building their kits?

• RMweb Gold

Hi there, yes I can recommend Smallbrook kits, I built a Gn15 kit

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93928-gn15/?p=1712188

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95847-smallbrook-harlequin-gn15/?p=1798687

Went together well. Let down only by my gluing and painting!

I'm now looking at the Smallbrook 4mm kits for LBSC carriages and wagons, but the chap's narrow gauge range is I think impressive and reasonably priced.

All the best,

Keith

Edited by tractionman

It was my intro into O16.5. I've built three of their loco kits and have several more in line. I've also put together one of their wagon kits. Best constructed with a decent superglue, they make a very reasonable model, easily modified and embellished with extra detailing.

I find it best to buy direct from Smallbrook, partly because they get ALL the profit which is fed back into the business. Don't buy on eBay because sellers there seem to inflate their prices as usual. I made one exception, when I bought a job lot including three wagons, a loco, all unmade and two Hornby chassis which most of the loco kits need, for £55.

These images show my first three models nearing completion.

post-6653-0-09570900-1487504566.jpg

post-6653-0-45462400-1487504624.jpg

Ken

• Like 3

• Administrators

I've built one of the Emett locos:

Finished Loco 2.jpg

Details on my blog: http://philsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Nellie

I have a more normal O16.5 model under construction as well. Good, well-thought out kits in my opinion. Not difficult to build using superglue and capable of personalisation to make it "your" loco.

• Like 1

Another satisfied customer here. I'm only part way through my first locomotive kit and I am modifying bits as I go slowing me down. I will definitely be buying more to 'bash' once I have a little layout sorted for this one. I find it fun to have the freedom to build and change them about a bit without trying to replicate and match an exact prototype. I'd say treat yourself, you won't be disappointed.

I built a rake of their LBSCR 4-wheeled coaches, and also some of their wagons.  These were my first kit-built rolling stock.  I would say that these resin kits are reasonable for a newbie.  They are certainly a lot easier than either white metal or brass.  However, I found my cheap, cordless multi-grinder from Lidl a huge help, because some of the resin parts need fettling.  (I understand that this is normal for resin kits.)  I also needed to make some minor alterations to make them look more like they would have around 1900, rather than the 1920s condition.

• 4 years later...