Baldwin Gas Mechanical 0-4-0

PenrithBeacon

There is a good deal about these locos in the book "Narrow Gauge to No Man's Land" by Richard Dunn, including drawings. Somewhere I've also got a Reproduction of a Baldwin catalogue describing them, which, IIRC, has good detail of the clutch and gearbox, which were the real secrets of success in the design, and which were effectively copied by Avonside in GB and Schneider in France. There are drawings of both the Baldwin and Schneider in Cenac's book on French military light railways.

There is also a section about them in a Russian-produced book (Kashin, Bochenkov, Balabin, Moakalev, 2003) about the history of internal combustion locos in the USSR, because they were effectively the first viable i.c. locos in Russia ...... I think that at least some of the ones supplied to Russia had double-flanged wheels, because double-flanged systems were widely used for horse-drawn agricultural railways in the eastern part of Germany, Poland, western Russia etc.

Dunn's drawings appeared first in NG&SL Gazette, before he collated the whole book so, if you just want one good drawing, it might be worth s adding through the indices, to find the right edition. Watch out though, because the US Army had 35hp and 50hp 0-4-0 versions, so you need to find the right ones. The Russian ones were 50hp 0-6-0, and the French were the 50hp 0-4-0 (I think).

There might also be drawings of Moelwyn in 7mm NGA publications, but from what I recall they aren't anything like as good as Dunn's and Cenac's.

Or, you could take a long day trip to go and see a real one, restored to original condition https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemin_de_fer_Froissy-Dompierre . The one at Apedale is possibly nearer, but I'm not sure if the resto has commenced yet ...... it had been converted to SG long before they secured it .....,, might be a good opportunity to really understand the loco, if it is currently in bits, though.

Our French oppos have discussed the loco at great length here http://forum.e-train.fr/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11569 and they have posted some really useful photos of details of the one at Froissy.

And, Joerg Seidel has posted photos of the restoration of the one at FFM on Flickr.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

And it arrived Thursday morning. Very good it too, thanks for the advice.

Regards

It is good, isn't it?

Apedale are having one of their "dos" in mid-May, which I hope to go to, and I will try to get a look at the one under resto, assuming they are doing it 'on-site', so if, by that stage, you are after detail shots, PM me with requests.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

We haven't done anything serious with the BLW at Apedale yet - it is still in as-received condition. It's unlikely much will happen on it during 2017, because we've had a PRISM grant to restore another loco - MR1320 - and there's only so many hours in a year! I am aware of a total of 19 survivors of the 50hp locos, and none of the smaller 35hp type. 9 of the survivors are at Tacot de Lacs, south of Paris; a visit there is an experience! The forthcoming edition of the Trust magazine has (I hope!) a longish article on the survivors.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...