Boxer Bay Railway - 16' x 9' Roundy

boxerbayrailway

Felix,

I'm pleased you like the 57XX and Iron Mink. I am working on an unfitted riveted pannier 6724, but progress is slow as we keep having to send them to customers and work on the Manning Wardle design and prepare the news release for a new model to be announced at the G0G summer show at Doncaster on 2nd June.

Regards,

Chris

work on the Manning Wardle design and prepare the news release for a new model to be announced at the G0G summer show at Doncaster on 2nd June.

Another announcement in June,   You guys don't hang about do you  :locomotive:     Seriously your models are top quality and I get a lot of enjoyment just coming home from work 

and running a train around for a few minutes before dinner.   It allows me to enjoy the railway now,  while I take my time in learning & building a loco kit.  I believe there is a place

for both RTR and kits.  With the RTR I can be more selective in what I choose to build.

Felix

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
It's been a long time since my last update.  Summer just isn't conducive to working on the layout for me.  I generally use Summer to take a bit of a break from the layout,  go outside,  enjoy the warm weather etc...  but Fall is now here,  and I've been re-energized to get back to the railway !

Progress on the BBR has not been completely idle though,   as I've developed the scene around the loco shed at Windrush Junction,  scratchbuilding this coaling stage and doing a bit of the scenery around it.  Most enjoyable to build using wood.  I didn't follow any particular plans,  just went off a couple Railway Bylines magazines for ideas.  

loco%2Bcoal%2Bstage.JPG

I just need one of those nice Manning Wardle locos to finish the scene,  now where could I get one of those ?  :scratchhead:  :senile:   :)

loco%2Bshed%2B2.JPG  loco%2Bshed%2B3.jpg

loco%2Bshed.JPG

Also managed to finish the first coach for the BBR,  just needs a bit of weathering  :paint:

IMG_2235.JPG

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

It's been a long time since my last update.  Summer just isn't conducive to working on the layout for me.  I generally use Summer to take a bit of a break from the layout,  go outside,  enjoy the warm weather etc...  but Fall is now here,  and I've been re-energized to get back to the railway !

Progress on the BBR has not been completely idle though,   as I've developed the scene around the loco shed at Windrush Junction,  scratchbuilding this coaling stage and doing a bit of the scenery around it.  Most enjoyable to build using wood.  I didn't follow any particular plans,  just went off a couple Railway Bylines magazines for ideas.  

I just need one of those nice Manning Wardle locos to finish the scene,  now where could I get one of those ?  :scratchhead:  :senile:   :)

Also managed to finish the first coach for the BBR,  just needs a bit of weathering  :paint:

Looking very good and glad to see an update.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone.  This is my first real attempt at building a layout apart from a mini 3'x6' TT layout in my younger days.  So it proves if I can do it,  anyone can build an o scale layout in a relatively small space.  I'm thoroughly enjoying the freedom of a fictitious light railway,  in the larger scale.  Looking around at prices these days,  it seems 7mm isn't anymore expensive then the smaller gauges,  if you are happy to have a little less quantity.

Next up I'm working on is the signal box for Windrush Junction,  along with an unpaved road crossing.  Trying to figure out positioning of the level crossing gates. 

Track ballasting is also progressing foot by foot,  slowly getting rid of the pink foam color  Hoorah !  :yahoo:

IMG_2886.JPG

• Like 10

Well today is a special day for the BBR, as we had a visit from Colonel Stephens. Inspecting the progress so far, he is contended. 
I finally got around to painting the excellent figure by Andrew Stadden,  my first attempt at painting a figure.

The Colonel was presented with a special Birthday cake marking his 150th, may his life story continue to inspire many model railways into the future ! 

col.1.JPG

col.3.JPG

col.2.JPG

col.4.JPG

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

With the days getting shorter and the weather getting colder, I've been finding more time to relax at my workbench with a nice cup of tea, and a fun project. 

This one was very enjoyable, the signal box located at Windrush Junction. The kit was made by Lcut. The kit went together very easy and everything fit well. I did add a Skytrex interior kit. While adding the interior, I made the decision to add interior LED lighting too, as I thought it would show up well. I don't plan on operating my railway too much in the dark, but it will be nice to switch the interior lights on once and awhile in dim room lighting, adding a bit of atmosphere to the scene. Fun to photograph.

The other modification made from the kit was changing the position of the stairs. It was going to eat up too much space by having the stairs go straight. So I added a few pieces and now have them coming down the side of the building, more pleasing to my eye too. 

Overall I'm very happy how this particular scene is developing. I try to picture the entire layout as a series of specific scenes, all linked together to paint a portrait of a small railway in 1920s-30s Somerset. A long long way to go !

IMG_2988.JPG

IMG_2989.JPG

IMG_2976.JPG 

• Like 14

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Good day everyone,

Thanks  Guys.   I know it has been a long time since I've posted any progress on the layout,  not since the re-design of the forum !

Life keeps getting in the way.   A few months ago my Father tore his hip flexor muscle,  and needed constant assistance for about 6 weeks,  

luckily he is now mostly back to normal.  Work has also been busy,  plus a trip South to California to attend our O scale National show,  which I would

estimate to be about 20% the size of Telford  !!  (I last visited in '04)    O scale (2 rail)  seems to be on it's last legs over here in N. America .

Despite all this and a harsh Winter,  I have made some progress,  just not too much to show in photos.  I decided since the space was available,  to extend the goods sidings at Windrush Junction,  I think it helps spread things out a bit and to not seem too compressed.  I've also paved the road level crossing,  and been ballasting through the station.  My work calms down a bit during the Summer,  so there should be a bit more to see in a couple months.  I'm trying to focus my attention on this part of the layout to get a basic level of scenery,  then turn to Boxer Bay  and begin the dockside,  which I am looking forward to,  as ships and all things maritime is another one of my interests.    All for now.

IMG_4031.JPG

IMG_4027.JPG

IMG_4029.JPG

• Like 12

Good to see the progress Felix.

O Gauge SCALE modelling is almost non existent here too, UK modelling excepted. Like the US, narrow gauge has a few more adherents.

The Toronto club seem to be going gangbusters with their new layout in Canada.  That is one North American bright light.

cheers

Bob Comerford

Oz

About 15 years ago there was an open letter "Gunnas Need Not Apply" the group that resulted gave us Stringybark Creek and Arakoola. I was the group junior back then at 18 years of age. I turn 33 next week. I helped built, set-up, tear-down and operate both layouts (I hand-laid most of the plain track on Stringybark Creek - about 70 yards of the stuff!) Perhaps it is time we put out another "Gunnas" letter.

• 1 month later...

Scenery is slowly but surely taking shape.  I've been concentrating all efforts on Windrush Junction in hopes of getting at least one area of the railway presentable,  even if there is still years of detailing, weathering etc... to do.  Here is a preview of a new scene taking shape,  the overbridge East of the station.  I've discovered that when building a model railway in O,  you are far more likely to run out of time then things to do.  It was definitely quicker to complete basic scenery on my TT layout,  but not nearly as satisfying  :D

overbridge.jpg

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

On 03/08/2019 at 07:55, boxerbayrailway said:

Scenery is slowly but surely taking shape.  I've been concentrating all efforts on Windrush Junction in hopes of getting at least one area of the railway presentable,  even if there is still years of detailing, weathering etc... to do.  Here is a preview of a new scene taking shape,  the overbridge East of the station.  I've discovered that when building a model railway in O,  you are far more likely to run out of time then things to do.  It was definitely quicker to complete basic scenery on my TT layout,  but not nearly as satisfying  :D

I agree, I find that O gauge is something which cannot be rushed. One might make use of RTR and kits, which is certainly faster than building from scratch, but it does seem to be a scale which asks you to spend more time with each task than most other modelling scales.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, hartleymartin said:

I agree, I find that O gauge is something which cannot be rushed. One might make use of RTR and kits, which is certainly faster than building from scratch, but it does seem to be a scale which asks you to spend more time with each task than most other modelling scales.

I agree and the greater attention always pays off. I find that even humble open wagons take on their own personality after sympathetic weathering that individualises them. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 04/08/2019 at 06:01, 81A Oldoak said:

I agree and the greater attention always pays off. I find that even humble open wagons take on their own personality after sympathetic weathering that individualises them. 

That was one of the reasons I chose 7mm over OO.  I was originally going to build a model of the S&D in OO, but found the smaller size lacking a certain "individuality" along with the usual lack of size / mass.  The quality RTR available now certainly helps get trains up and running quicker,  which in turn helps fuel motivation to put in more time.  I also believe it allows one to be able to pick and choose a favorite loco kit to build (or scratch),  rather then worrying about building every loco or wagon.  Perhaps going for a more obscure prototype rather then building another Pannier Jinty etc...   I've been eyeing a couple kits from the Agenoria range:wub:

8 hours ago, boxerbayrailway said:

That was one of the reasons I chose 7mm over OO.  I was originally going to build a model of the S&D in OO, but found the smaller size lacking a certain "individuality" along with the usual lack of size / mass.  The quality RTR available now certainly helps get trains up and running quicker,  which in turn helps fuel motivation to put in more time.  I also believe it allows one to be able to pick and choose a favorite loco kit to build (or scratch),  rather then worrying about building every loco or wagon.  Perhaps going for a more obscure prototype rather then building another Pannier Jinty etc...   I've been eyeing a couple kits from the Agenoria range:wub:

There are some lovely locos in the Agenoria kit range and they are nice to build. You won't be disappointed. 

• 2 months later...

It's been a long time since I've posted any updates on here.   Life has been getting in the way of progress,  but I've managed to find 10 minutes here and there to do a bit of basic scenic work.   I've been concentrating on this scene around the corner from Windrush Junction.  I wanted a visual separation from the station area and to add a bit of variation in the landscape.   Basic technique of glueshell and paper.    I'm hoping to get this scene fairly close to complete by the end of the year. (sick of that pink colour :crazy_mini:)  I've also swapped the roadbridge with the railway bridge.    All for now.    Felix

IMG_4302.JPG

IMG_4307.JPG

IMG_4314.JPG

IMG_4389.JPG

IMG_4390.JPG

• Like 11

I've previously used a mix of newspaper, old chux wipes, cheap paper towel, etc, mostly just laid on with cheap PVA mixed with cheap acrylic paint. Sometimes the paint wouldn't mix properly, so I just used the cheap PVA and then put a coat of earth-coloured paint over once it had set. I've even used old paint rags or worn out T-shirts, old pillow-cases or old socks (no worn-out underwear has made it into the scenery base yet!)

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Informative/Useful 1