Boxer Bay Railway - 16' x 9' Roundy

boxerbayrailway

• 1 month later...

There's been a little progress with some details.  I realized I needed to add a catch point to protect the goods yard,  along with a ground signal.  I've also cobbled together an end loading platform,  in typical Col. Stephens fashion,  salvaging some railings from a Peco HO turntable kit that was being tossed in the bin at one of our local swap meets.  The area around Windrush Junction is now starting to take shape,  more developments coming soon.

IMG_4482.JPG

IMG_4508.JPG

windrush+delivery.jpg

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

It's Christmas eve,  and snow is beginning to fall.  Under the watchful eye of Colonel Stephens himself, BBR # 3 "Josie"  shunts the last few wagons into the goods sidings before retiring off to the shed at Windrush Junction.  I wonder if that's Ivo's Bentley ?  ;)

From all the staff of the Boxer Bay Railway,  wishing everyone following this story of my fictional model railway a Merry Christmas. May you spend quality time with the family,  eat lots of good food,  and maybe get a chance to run the occasional train :) Cheers !   Felix

501013067_Christmas2.jpg.e229105debd9b7a920f267ad7126fd9a.jpg

Edited by boxerbayrailway
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 4 months later...

It's been awhile since I've posted anything on here.  Scenic progress has been happening at Windrush Junction ,  so it's starting to resemble something like a station ;)    The brewery is also developing,  with much work still to do.   Also had a bit of time to do a short film,  featuring the lovely Dapol 48xx which I couldn't resist.   Hope everyone is well and keeping the trains rolling in these strange times.  Felix

spacer.png

• Like 13

• 11 months later...
  • boxerbayrailway changed the title to Boxer Bay Railway - 16' x 9' Roundy

After researching some kits on the market for Goods sheds,  which were either too expensive or not what I was looking for.  I decided to just make it from scratch.  I jumped in and started from a scale plan from the excellent Great Western Branch Line Termini  by Paul Karau.  It's basic dimensions are based on the shed at Ashburton, but it will not be an exact replica.  Foam core & Slaters stone sheets are the basic materials,  which work great and cost very little.  Who says O gauge is expensive ?  Here is the basic shape & how it will look at Windrush Junction.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2021 at 04:25, boxerbayrailway said:

Slowly working away at a few layout projects.  Latest rolling stock addition is an S&D Peat Wagon.  Built from the Furness Railway resin kit,  overall very happy with it.  You can never have too many wagons :D

spacer.png

spacer.png

That kit turned out real nice. The same company was commissioned to do NSWGR wagons. World events conspired to delay the project, but it looks like I'll have the first ones by the end of the month.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Terrific layout. Any progress on that goods shed? Looks like it's going to be a cracking model. Good choice.

Whereabouts on the coast are you. We get over to the coast as much as we can.

Regards Shaun. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Terrific layout. Any progress on that goods shed? Looks like it's going to be a cracking model. Good choice.

Whereabouts on the coast are you. We get over to the coast as much as we can.

Regards Shaun. 

Hi Shaun,

Wow, first time on any railway forum I've come across a "neighbor".  I'm in Coos Bay,  have been here since '92.  My Dad is in Grants Pass & I visit him often.  Whereabouts are you ?   I've just been browsing some of your superb layouts.  I have fond memories of Dunster from my '03 visit to the WSR.   A friend of mine in San Diego has built a nice model of Minehead in O.

Thanks for the kind words.  I really should post updates more often on here.  I've completed the goods shed,  a few photos below.  Not a 100% accurate copy of Ashburtons but I'm very happy with how it looks and fits into my fictional station.   On your next trip to the coast you welcome to stop by for a visit.

Cheers,

Felix

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Felix.

Yeah I'd consider you a neighbor too! Even if it is about 150 miles:D

We're not too far from Grants Pass, about 20 minutes or so.

Coos Bay is about the only place on the coast we don't get to that often (usually Brookings or Newport).  

Dunster usually gets taken to the Rogue Valley show; they've had to cancel it again this year but it still lives up stairs in the attic.

The goods shed looks great. You can't beat shunting wagons in and out of one, have you thought about installing an uncoupling  device in there?

Send me a PM if you would like to come round and see the layout next time you visit your dad. I'd be happy to have any visitors!!!

Regards Shaun.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Yeah I'd consider you a neighbor too! Even if it is about 150 miles:D

We're not too far from Grants Pass, about 20 minutes or so.

Coos Bay is about the only place on the coast we don't get to that often (usually Brookings or Newport).  

Dunster usually gets taken to the Rogue Valley show; they've had to cancel it again this year but it still lives up stairs in the attic.

The goods shed looks great. You can't beat shunting wagons in and out of one, have you thought about installing an uncoupling  device in there?

Send me a PM if you would like to come round and see the layout next time you visit your dad. I'd be happy to have any visitors!!!

Regards Shaun.

Hi Shaun,

Yes the Rogue Valley show,  sadly I could never attend because of the nature of my job,  which required me to work each year during that weekend :angry:    & thinking about it,  I remember my Dad mentioning one year that he saw a nice British layout,  which always makes an impression as we're both enthusiasts.  My Dad is more into the industrial side of railways,   I just like everything pre 1970s.    I originally got interested in British Steam due to Ivo Peter's excellent films.  Otherwise I'd probably be building an N scale layout of 1990s CP Rail / CN in the Thompson Canyon of BC.

Yes I'll probably come up with a uncoupling mechanism for inside the shed.  I use the Bachmann OO tension lock couplings so it should be doable.  

It'd be great to come round for a visit,  I travel to Grants Pass as often as I can,  before the bad weather that is.  Probably coming down next week or therabouts.  I'll send a PM.

Cheers,

Felix

On 29/09/2021 at 13:30, brossard said:

I just discovered this.  You've shaken my preconceptions about small 0 gauge roundy roundy layouts, this is very good indeed.  My layout thread is in the link below.  There's a couple of vids in the FB link.

John

Thanks John for the kind words.  I was tempted to do a more traditional fiddle yard to terminus station,  but in the end I just had to have the option of continuous running for those days after work and I just want to sit & watch the trains go round,  plus it's great for running in new locos !    With a 4' radius I can run most locos that I'm ever likely to own,  and will even take the Dapol GWR Autocoach with no issues.   I'll have a look at your layout.    Cheers,  Felix

I see you have been having a browse.  A roundy layout does have it's attractions and I did experiment with a horseshoe shape.  The radius for that was 4' 6" and, as you say, most stock could negotiate it.

In the end though, I went for a more traditional BLT.

Happy modelling.

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Felix. It was really great to meet you and have a fellow RMwebber see the layout (at last)  My wife really likes your layout too and we can't wait to pay a visit and see it.  I only hope that I didn't chat your ear off too much mate. 

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch

Just now, Sasquatch said:

Felix. It was really great to meet you and have a fellow RMwebber see the layout (at last)  My wife really likes your layout too and we can't wait to pay a visit and see it.  I only hope that I didn't chat your ear off too much mate. 

Regards Shaun

Great to meet you Shaun.  You have a great layout & most unique,  love the junction & viaducts.  I'll look forward to future visits & seeing developments,  the station w/ overall roof will be impressive,  along with the industrial mills area.  It's got me motivated to get to work on some of my projects.  I enjoyed the chat,  not many people in Oregon I can talk with about British steam railways :D    Next time you're in Coos Bay area you're welcome to stop by for a visit.

All the best,

Felix

• Thanks 1

A small loading dock has been added to the rear of the Goods shed,  scratch built from simple card & wood.  

The goods yard is slowly getting there,  a yard crane,  coal staiths,  and all the other accessories still to go.

There's always something to do on the railway.

spacer.png

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

~ Important Notice ~

An extension has been opened to serve the brand new Kramdenite Colliery.
A few weeks ago while "overseeing" the operation of the railway (playing trains), I discovered a bag of coal under the baseboard, and the idea was born.  Construction began immediately.  It required a re-work of the hidden sidings for the GWR, bit of a tight curve, and there we are, an additional 7' to play with. It will add some additional fun to the railway.

Apologies for the humour (?) it keeps me sane in this world !   Or has it ?      Happy Halloween :jester:

Before :

spacer.png

After Extension :

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I'm interested to see where the extension goes relative to the rest of the layout. You've mentioned the hidden GWR sidings but I'm struggling to locate them.

I saw (and liked) the layout's video on today's GOG virtual show and it's got me thinking whether I could fit something like your track  plan in my 8ft 2in wide garage. I can't quite make your 4' minimum radius but the 40" radius Peco set track points would fit quite easily.

I'm off to spend a while reading through your blog.

Edited by Ray H
  • Thanks 1

On 06/11/2021 at 14:32, Ray H said:

I'm interested to see where the extension goes relative to the rest of the layout. You've mentioned the hidden GWR sidings but I'm struggling to locate them.

Hi Ray,

Sorry for the slow reply,  haven't been on the forum much of late due to overtime at work :banghead:

I really should draw up an updated track plan & do it properly too.  At Windrush Junction,  one line curves off

to complete the circuit,  and the other goes through a wall into a closet,  where I have 2 hidden sidings / storage tracks

representing the "rest of Somerset",  where GWR trains originate & terminate.  It gives added operational interest & allows

for trains to enter / exit the railway.  The colliery extension was shoe-horned in off those sidings.  A very rough sketch below.

I've found that if you keep to smaller stock & shorter coaches,  say the Slaters 43' / 46' bogie or 2 axle ones,  the tighter

radius isn't much of a problem.  Even the Dapol Autocoach runs nicely which was a pleasant surprise.

Thanks,

Felix

871662864_trackplan.1.jpg.cf4e8e10281e84ea1ab9c7cc977875e5.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for that. Now I understand how you've arranged it. Your blog makes interesting reading too.

My garage door into the hose is in the short wall and in a corner. which limits how that corner can be used for branching off the circuit. My current thoughts centre around having a junction of sorts on one side with one of the routes being part of the circuit and the other disappearing behind the backscene where there'll be a couple of terminal (hidden) sidings. This would be fine if just using railcars as they can just run in and out of the sidings. It isn't so good for freight trains which would need to have some attention e.g. swapping loco and brake van over.

• Like 1