009 Basic Starter Locomotive

• RMweb Gold

hi Stuart,

The cheapest RTR 009 diesel is probably this

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=MTR5014&style=&strType=&Mcode=Minitrains+5014

at £86 from Gaugemaster, who have a good selection of Minitrains for sale.

Their cheapest steam loco in this range is this

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=MTR2011&style=&strType=&Mcode=Minitrains+2011

at £115.

All fairly serious money really, so for my 009 traction I have gone for a couple of old Roco HOe locos which can be picked up second hand, til I save up for one of the new Bachmann Baldwins!.

Alternatively, Peco do 009 loco kits that fit an N gauge chassis.

all the best,

Keith

You can buy one of Tom Bell's Cheap and Easy 3D printed locos for just over £ 20. Link here or you should be able to find them on Ebay. They are designed to fit on a Kato chassis which you can pick up for around £ 15 so that would get you started for under £ 40.

www.shapeways.com/shops/tebee?section=009+cheap+and+easy&s=0

• RMweb Premium

if you can manage it i'd go for the Minitrains Bagnall. A simple, great running British outline loco (assuming you want a British prototype)

The ffestiniog shop have them in stock, slightly dearer than Parkside (out of stock at mo) and any profits go back into the railway.

The Roco set is very good value if you like European prototype although you say you're not bothered at the moment.

If you're not already I would highly recommend joining the 009 Society.

They sell a lot of 2nd hand items at sensible prices.

• 4 weeks later...

Bachmann's Thomas locos if you can get hold of one with a simple conversion job (face and paint!)...

What do you mean by "cheap" though?

Unlike the Minitrains locos (which are a mixture of scales due to their "flexible ruler") the Roco set mentioned is definitely HOe, NOT 009, so it depends on how fastidious you are and what you are modelling... If you are looking at HOe then Roco also do other small lcoos.

Archived