3D printed road vehicles

grahame

I think you'll find the dozer is a Maruka 1:150 scale one from their Hyper Construction series 3 range (I've got a boxed one if anyone is interested).

GHQ do a pewter kit of a 1970s dozer which being 1:160 (although of an American type) might be a little smaller: http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/53001.html1

Maruka and Fujimoto also do various front bucket loaders. This is the Maruka one:

1275602696_Marukaloader2.JPG.9b4134a5d91ff1a1acfd131644b21cbd.JPG

G

• Like 1

I fitted the detailing part supplied and painted the cabin windows frame on my sample:

117728090_Vehicles14-Marukaloader.JPG.b22cdc7ac587fd7b1bd2c74b43c32fa2.JPG

It does improve it and some weathering would make it look even better.

G

• Like 3

On 21/03/2019 at 22:03, Scottish Modeller said:

Hi Morris,

Modern Road Vehicles in N.......

If Grahame hadn't insisted on publicising the models you do on the forums and in the News - I would not have known that you did them.

Anyway - now that I know - I have started ordering some of them - I have a long list of 1980's vehicles I need (or want) to obtain!

Thanks

Phil H

Mine a but a very small part of the models on Shapeways and alas my limited selection are moderns for now (Railnscale does a much better job than I!!) but it does highlight the issue presented by Shapeways products. Despite being out there and "searchable" the promotion needs to be done separately which can be very hard when there's already a lot of plates spinning.

• Agree 1

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 23:06, m0rris said:

it it does highlight the issue presented by Shapeways products. Despite being out there and "searchable" the promotion needs to be done separately which can be very hard when there's already a lot of plates spinning.

IMO the search function on Shapeways is pretty poor and somewhat a scattergun approach with results often numbering many 100s of pages and mostly of non-relevant products as well as non-relevant scales despite including the scale in the search. I find it difficult to locate specific/appropriate items on the Shapeways site although I appreciate that my IT 'search' skills are probably very lacking.

If anyone has suitable 3D road vehicles available and marketed on the Shapeways site it might be an ideas to post their description, scale and a hyper-link address here (assuming that doesn't breach forum rules).

G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

As promised - the wheeled loader after som modification.

If you compare with original photo - quite a bit of difference!

Still to be glazed - tried with canopy cement/glue and glaze, but not happy so removed them.

Next will be to try and cut plastiglaze to fit.

Thanks

Phil H

DSCF0001-crop.jpg

DSCF0002-crop.jpg

DSCF0003a-crop.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, grahame said:

IMO the search function on Shapeways is pretty poor and somewhat a scattergun approach with results often numbering many 100s of pages and mostly of non-relevant products as well as non-relevant scales despite including the scale in the search. I find it difficult to locate specific/appropriate items on the Shapeways site although I appreciate that my IT 'search' skills are probably very lacking.

If anyone has suitable 3D road vehicles available and marketed on the Shapeways site it might be an ideas to post their description, scale and a hyper-link address here (assuming that doesn't breach forum rules). 

Good idea, it is a strange search engine where the more words you search for the more results you get. Here's a cruel sample of some of mine in 1/148, these are a Discovery, an unstarted Insignia and an Astra....

https://www.shapeways.com/product/EMY6YLKRY/landrover-discovery-3?optionId=62759533

https://www.shapeways.com/product/JWUGFNUE2/vauxhall-opel-astra?optionId=68506536

https://www.shapeways.com/product/V9SWBEXLR/vauxhall-opel-insignia?optionId=68505923

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Z2ASKQMGS/citroen-c1?optionId=69123462

I've also a Citroen C1 somewhere that i need to dig out, finish off and photo!

DSC_0790.JPG

Edited by m0rris
  • Like 1

This is my finished RailNscale 3D printed 1:148 scale 'Club of Four' (Volvo cab) open back truck converted to a skip lorry. The rear bodywork is scratch built and the skip is a BHE etched one. I guess I ought to fabricate and add the skip loading/unloading chains. 

DSC_2508.JPG.cbf54c22912901a69ac5c2918cc20b5e.JPG 

G

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/03/2019 at 22:57, m0rris said:

Good idea, it is a strange search engine where the more words you search for the more results you get.

If a site has a bad search engine then you can try using google with the "site" keyword. This doesn't work for all sites - they need to be set up so that google's bot can index them - but it does work for Shapeways.

e.g. in google search bar type "site:www.shapeways.com land rover discovery scale model". 

YMMV

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently ordered a 3D printed N gauge (1:148 scale) Ford Transit Mk1 van from RailNScale. I thought it might be of interest to show a comparison with a cast white metal version from R Parker. So here they are pictured side by side. The 3D printed one has had no work to smooth the printing striations or livery added (just a quick squirt of primer) and the white metal one is rather old a now looks quite battered:

DSCN0492.JPG.9d5f1ccee8db8680ec7b1889152c9f74.JPG

The smoother finish of the metal one is welcome and a big benefit but neither seem totally accurate IMO. I need to revisit and work on the metal one especially to increase the windscreen height as well as the usual finishing effort necessary for the 3D printed one, but overall I think I'll be able to use both on the layout once completed.

G

• Like 3

Maurice at RailNscale has just started showing his latest creation - based on the Volvo F10/F12 cab. However his intention is to market these only through DMToys (rather than Shapeways) so some lobbying may be needed to get him to scale up to 1/148. They come from that ignored period from the late 1970s to the early 1990s, and some were still running into this century.

http://le-forum-du-n.1fr1.net/t31575-railnscale-volvo-f10-f12

Interesting. RailNscale have been increasingly using DM to market and sell their models. I wonder if they will become fully dependant and ditch Shapeways in the long run. The big issue for British N gaugers is will DM offer 1:148 scale versions?

G

I've tried to reduce the striations/roughness on the Transit 3D by various means - scraping with a scalpel, filing with a small soft sanding stick and using several coats of paint (which although it helps does also tend to clog fine details required like the radiator grille). Overall there is some improvement and I'm a lot happier with it now with just details to pick out and glazing to undertake. I've also enlarged the white metal version windscreen so that they match a bit better.

DSCN0590.JPG.735b1b68d0aedf33b3bc4b8aaccbc8c2.JPG

• Like 1

I've finally got around to starting adding the glazing to the Osborn's 3D printed Commer Walk-Thru vans. Here's the first test one windscreens so far. Not the best but reasonably acceptable especially bearing the small size of them (compare with the one penny coin) :

DSCN0620.JPG.8ab56acbc654e175d397cd174eca506b.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, grahame said:

That's great. I hope they're made available in 1:148 scale and from Shapeways. I'll be able to order them when I place an order for a Volvo F10 truck.

G

I’ve asked the question.

They had a long production 1983 to 1998.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Blimey another new model from RailNscale.....Saab 900 and in 1/148 too.

https://railnscale.com/2019/06/10/saab-900/

Excellent news. This news is certainly very welcome now that ODC  seem to have pulled out of developing new vehicles for N gauge in 1/148 (and especially for the 1970 to 1999 market.

Looks like I'll be placing a large order (Volvo truck, pug 205s and Saab 900) when I'm back.

G

• Like 1