3D printed road vehicles

grahame

22 minutes ago, grahame said:

Excellent news. This news is certainly very welcome now that ODC  seem to have pulled out of developing new vehicles for N gauge in 1/148 (and especially for the 1970 to 1999 market.

Looks like I'll be placing a large order (Volvo truck, pug 205s and Saab 900) when I'm back.

G

Just for clarification - Oxford Diecast have 4 new shapes announced, tooled and due for production. As noted by retailers announcing additions to the forward OD plans revealed last week, OD held back announcement of some new shapes pending catching up on the production and delivery of the 37 1/148 scale items on the to do list.

That aside the RailNscale new prints fill gaps in the range of available shapes, and I am up for the 205 and the Saab 900.

10 minutes ago, Mike Harvey said:

Just for clarification - Oxford Diecast have 4 new shapes announced, tooled and due for production. As noted by retailers announcing additions to the forward OD plans revealed last week, OD held back announcement of some new shapes pending catching up on the production and delivery of the 37 1/148 scale items on the to do list.

That aside the RailNscale new prints fill gaps in the range of available shapes, and I am up for the 205 and the Saab 900.

What are these new four ODC shapes/models? And do any of them fit the 1970 to the start of the current millennium?

Plus has the production of these new models got to wait until the 37 outstanding models are produced? That sort of delay is a little worrying and certainly gives an impression of scant support for the N market.

G

Grahame

The 4 shapes I described are already in the published list of OD models. Your comment implied OD were not producing anything new, and qualified that with “and especially for the 1970 to 1999” market. 

You are in a better position to judge whether the models suit your period, I was merely clarifying the false impression created by your saying “ODC seem to have pulled out of developing new vehicles for N gauge 1/148 scale”. 

List available here:-

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/by-scale?constraint=1-148

The ones marked FUTURE are not yet released.

Thanks for the list link, although it is difficult to discern from it which are the four that are the new unrealised shapes. Presumably they are ones announced some time ago now, but  have they added any in the last twelve months?

I am not implying that ODC have pulled out of developing new N vehicles but that it is the impression they seem to have given recently (especially to me) by the lack of new N model releases and because previously announced ones have not been released nor seem to have a date for release. That is not creating a false impression but is a comment based on the impression that they give me. It just seems that way currently.

Listing items for the 'future' does not necessarily mean they are being developed or will get released (as we have learnt with DJM). However, it does just seem to give the impression of a potential 'to-do' list.  It would be nice if ODC could quickly catch up on long made announcements of N vehicle models to demonstrate support for the scale.

G

54 minutes ago, grahame said:

It would be nice if ODC could quickly catch up on long made announcements of N vehicle models to demonstrate support for the scale.

G

In fairness, Eloise did say last week that the current announcement is quite small to allow Oxford to catch up on previously announced models. This was across the range and not just in OO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grahame said:

Thanks for the list link, although it is difficult to discern from it which are the four that are the new unrealised shapes. Presumably they are ones announced some time ago now, but  have they added any in the last twelve months?

I am not implying that ODC have pulled out of developing new N vehicles but that it is the impression they seem to have given recently (especially to me) by the lack of new N model releases and because previously announced ones have not been released nor seem to have a date for release. That is not creating a false impression but is a comment based on the impression that they give me. It just seems that way currently.

Listing items for the 'future' does not necessarily mean they are being developed or will get released (as we have learnt with DJM). However, it does just seem to give the impression of a potential 'to-do' list.  It would be nice if ODC could quickly catch up on long made announcements of N vehicle models to demonstrate support for the scale.

G

I do not really want to prolong this, but I would like people to be well informed. I do accept that your impression is genuine but based on incomplete information.

The 1/148 scale items based on announced but not yet released shapes are:-

NDIS001           Land Rover Discovery 4 - Ipanema Sand

NDIS002          Land Rover Discovery 4 - Santorini Black

NGG001          Green Goddess - AFS 

NGG003          Green Goddess - RAF 

NMW6001      Bristol MW6G - Royal Blue 

NMW6002      Bristol MW6G - Hants & Dorset 

NSDF001        Shelvoke & Drewry Freightlifter - British Rail (Western) 

NSDF002        Shelvoke & Drewry Freightlifter - British Rail (Crimson) 

These shapes were announced in January and June 2018, and engineering prototypes were displayed at the London Toy Fair in January 2019.

In 2018 Oxford released 35 new items in 1/148, and announced 32 additions. So far in 2019 Oxford have released 9 items in 1/148 scale:-

January 2019 - 3 items

February 2019 - 2 items

April 2019 - 2 items

May 2019 - 2 items

I do not really understand your reference to the recent events with DJModels. Are you implying that any manufacturer with a list of announcements for future release should be considered not to be releasing those items?  Does that include Farish, Dapol, as well as Oxford as examples? As mentioned in the post above, and elsewhere on some retailers sites, last week Oxford were at pains to explain that they are trying to speed up deliveries of new items and reduced new announcements accordingly. As far as I am aware Oxford have never cancelled an announced model in 1/148 scale, although I accept that Dapol and Farish have.

Just for the sake of completeness Oxford 1/148 scale models are also planned in the Arnold range - 4 different food trailers, and two different Land Rovers included in flat wagon sets. These were announced in January 2019.

• Agree 1

Thanks to a link from David Calderwood on another site, he has advised that there are now right hand drive 1/148 scale Scania 141R cabs available from Benny Soehave:-

https://www.shapeways.com/product/76ERBV6JY/2-spare-cabs-for-rhd-scania-140-in-uk-n-scale

On 10 July 2018 Grahame showed an almost finished Ford D series cab obtained from the same designer. Page 10 on this topic:-

Edited by Mike Harvey

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

Thanks to a link from David Calderwood on another site, he has advised that there are now right hand drive 1/148 scale Scania 141R cabs available from Benny Soehave:-

https://www.shapeways.com/product/76ERBV6JY/2-spare-cabs-for-rhd-scania-140-in-uk-n-scale

Thanks for that, those cabs will be useful, hopefully will fit on a BT or ODC chassis or even one of the Tomytec trucks.

• Like 1

It's a shame there is no 3D printed cab chassis option to go with the pair of 141 cabs. However, Soehaven (on Shapeways) already offers a complete (with trailer) 1:148 scale Scania 141 refrigerated truck although it's rather expensive: 

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZK6ED2EE4/scania-141-refrigerated-lorry-1-148-scale?optionId=62912038

The two Ford D800 trucks Soehaven do are supplied with a chassis and the earlier version is complete with a open back drop-side body:

DSC_2916.JPG.fbe6c61ae785996d6deaf399d2b028ce.JPG

The later version is supplied as a tractor unit only but it's easy enough to bash a trailer to suit. Here is mine which is an adapted and bashed Tomytec trailer chassis with a scratch-built beer tank body:

1904924116_2018-08-26-14_25.39ZSPMax.jpg.b194c79adc9c0324d43b5b8af732e97b.jpg

G

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I've placed a relatively large/expensive order with Shapeways for a number of recently made available 1:148 vehicles: Saab 900, Volvo F10, Peugeot 205 and Scania 141 cabs. When they arrive I'll be able to report/review them and check out what chassis the cabs will fit. However they're not scheduled to be sent out until two weeks in to July.

G

• Like 1

I held off ordering the vehicles from Shapeways as their estimated send out date and expected delivery was while I would be away on holiday in July. So I waited until the estimate advanced to get here after I return from holiday but they arrived today before I've gone away. Wow.

Anyway I've given them a quick clean with an old toothbrush and cream cleaner, rinsed in lukewarm water and when dry a quick coat of grey primer. There is a still a little more cleaning up (I did pay extra for the best quality smoothest finish/material). With the two Scania 140/141 cabs (which are different - LB and LBS versions) there is a part that I don't know what it is (pictured below at the front):

DSC_7861.JPG.72e3d58e5c28fc91368cae21c000e639.JPG

• Like 6

i thought it might be the bunk from the sleeper. However, looking at the 3D on Shapeways, it's already there. If it is hollow one side it could be the roof rack44716728825_e9e4bffbf5_z.jpg.025ffff5cdae5f58ad2fa1d641a29cac.jpg

as seen here.

Andy

It's ribbed with raised edge/rim on one side and with a pip in each corner on the reverse. Also around the edge it is recessed and with a beam/bar along one long side.

Based on the photo above it could be a roof rack with the beam being a company sign board pointing forward. This is what it looks like on the roof:

DSC_7862.JPG.fc381e911f26ff706685651f16ab8312.JPG

G

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Yeah, it's the roof rack with an illuminated nameboard in front. There were a lot of Scania series 0 & 1's around when I were a lad, but I don't recall seeing many fitted with roof racks as most were used on UK domestic work. They were more popular with drivers doing the European and middle east runs. Here's a couple of photos of a typical set up for the middle east runs.

27631924226_9fed877f38_z.jpg.f29602e3fbca88b7f6998386096e6de6.jpg27566525832_33fb8cf6d6_z.jpg.004bdb62f0b688ffd07cca65e9c3b0f8.jpg

This one is fitted with a roof mounted air con unit and also shows the ladder fit to the cab corner.

Andy

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the Scania information and pics posted above. There's only one roof rack/company name box supplied (to fit the extended cab) so the standard one will not have one fitted even if I decide to use it on the larger cab.

I've a few Tomytec cab/tractor units. They're very similar (all two axle) and of two types; with and without top cut rear wheel guards. The smaller Scania cab would seem a reasonable fit (pictured below and just resting in place) while the wheels look too small for the more enclosed wheel arch of the larger cab.

DSC_7863.JPG.cbe89e19de731e88ad55500db795f3e3.JPG

The fuel tanker trailer pictured above is a Japanese 1:150 model (I've also got another). I'd have to bash, anglicise and repaint it if I decide to go with it. Does anyone have any suggestions/photo references to something suitable for the Scania cab period? Is it a reasonable starting point? Or would I be better with a skeletal trailer with a standard container on it?

• Like 2

My plan is to bash the Tomytec tanker to look a little like the one in this pic: https://www.na3t.org/road/photo/BC00038-04

I've made a start on it: shortened the overall length by chopping out just over 8mm (equiv to 4ft), removed and cutaway most of the modern under tank gubbins, trimmed off the two top edge catwalks (one each side), and so on. There's still plenty to do like making and adding rounded rear wheel guards, filing smooth, remodelling the tractor chassis, adding details, painting and so on but hopefully it is starting to look more in keeping for the period.

DSC_7865.JPG.0dd6f1e6201bf834ba88d03bcef0f027.JPG

G

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I've made and fitted the rear wheel guards, trimmed off the moulded tank end steps and details around (they seemed too heavy and not in keeping with ones like this: https://www.na3t.org/road/photo/BC00051-07  from the era I'm trying to represent and which have smooth tank ends); added a metal ladder, the trailer legs, some fuel tank and underframe details and think that's about it now for what is, of course, a small model:

DSC_7873.JPG.ae27e55afb77b8a6fc6024b779de768f.JPG

Next to research suitable liveries/colours and think about painting.

G

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I've started to get some colour, although far from finished, on the 3D printed cabs:

DSC_7878.JPG.03794728a5022f0678b1bd9f7d55ad3d.JPG

Also the cruel close-up photography shows where I need to make a few corrections and tidy up.

G

• Like 1

I've also started to put together parts to be able to bash the flat back truck using the 3D printed cab. The trailer is from a Japanese/Chinese model (not Tomytec) and the grey deck is plastic with the black underframe/chassis being pressed steel. The tractor unit chassis is a Tomytec one (the three parts in front are those removed from it) while the cab is the 3D printed Scania 141. This is just resting in place and needs to be fitted properly along with some modelling work on the rest of the truck.

DSC_7879.JPG.8611e395c0ae6e9b3d48a0fcdb0ccf05.JPG

G.

• Like 1

I've changed my mind on the trailer. Rather than bash the one pictured above I'm going to scratch build one. I thought the model trailer rear wheels were too far apart and too far from the end to be representative of the few real examples I've looked at: https://www.na3t.org/road/photo/VS00347  And I don't like that underframe/chassis details which, being metal (pressed steel), would be difficult to hack.

I've managed to prise the rear wheels off to remove the axles from the metal chassis and reassemble them. Surprisingly for N gauge, bearing in mind the small size, the tyres are rubber and detachable - so four on each axle.

G

I've started to knock up a flat bed trailer utilising the wheels I salvaged from the RTR one. At the centre front of the pic below is the rear underrun protection and light clusters (upside down) that I cut off the RTR version and I'll use on the model. I've also got a spare wheel to go underneath and there's more details to add:

DSC_7882.JPG.fa835f98bea5b6b554bfa80a74ce05a3.JPG

G

• Like 1