3D printed road vehicles

grahame

• RMweb Premium

I recently treated myself to this little lot:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Photography-Studio-4x-25W-LED-Softbox-Lighting-Stand-Kit-Photo-Video-Light-Set/254248249150

and yes, it does all fit in the supplied carry bag.

With this lighting set up I can set the aperture to f22 and open the shutter for a second or two to get a really good depth of field in focus.

Many years ago, before digital and LED illumination, I used to use a 500W bulb. It took ages to cool down after use.

1 hour ago, Ian Morgan said:

I recently treated myself to this little lot:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Photography-Studio-4x-25W-LED-Softbox-Lighting-Stand-Kit-Photo-Video-Light-Set/254248249150

and yes, it does all fit in the supplied carry bag.

Interesting. That looks like a nice little package at a very good price.

I use these (below), that I've had for quite a few years, for indoor 'studio' type work and usually do as you do - set the aperture to F25 and let the exposure time take care of itself while on a tripod. The bulbs are 50W daylight temperature balanced fluorescent spirals and chuck out quite a decent light so the exposure time isn't usually very long, but they are quite dear and don't seem to last very long. Upon following your link I see there are now a lot of continuous photoflood lighting options available at decent prices. I'd not looked for years. 

DSCN1184res.jpg.86db8904ea1f8ac2941e13fea6f597dc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Osborns are in the process of releasing a 3D printed Dennis RS (rigid steel) fire engine (produced 1978 to early 1990s) which is, of course, the vehicle made famous in the ‘London’s Burning’ TV programme. Apparently it will be supplied painted and RTP. 

1975268254_DennisRS.png.4ce4228bc72dfa24da9b40525cb17750.png

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A little order from Osbournes arrived yesterday, milk float, Commer Walk thru and the fire engine. I’ve given it a coat of Tamiya Clear and a black wash to highlight some parts, ladders aren’t as chunky as I thought they would be. Need to check what colour the wheels should be.

A72770B2-3CE9-4BA1-8C7F-3972CA2ADB5F.jpeg

9169347E-013F-4C62-9B8F-689426460BB3.jpeg

DAF0DEAA-FA98-43B5-AB7F-BF2946ECA0D3.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

Needs red wheels and a yellow side strip with blue border in addition to the station name and LFB crest.

Hmm, not sure about the red wheels. The Dennis Fire Engines LFB used had black wheels, however the producers of Londons Burning had a couple of ex Sheffield appliances which had red wheels and were never repainted hence the potential confusion.

• Thanks 1

It looks very good. The only snag is that, although a RS was used in the London's Burning TV programme, I don't think the London Fire Brigade had any (unless anyone knows better). All the pics I've found of LFB engines are of the SS type.

I've asked for a couple of unpainted ones to convert one to a SS (extra side window as far as I can see but some research required) and the other to a Dennis Phoenix dust cart.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Needs red wheels and a yellow side strip with blue border in addition to the station name and LFB crest.

When the SSs were first delivered they did not have the reflective stripes. I don't know when the LFB did introduce them. Stripes or no stripes -  it will have to fit with Grahame's period. I have a nice photo of a Volvo Saxon outside Borough Market in 2005 - pity it's a bit late for Grahame.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the extra info chaps. Lots of photos out there but many of course are of the London’s burning vehicles. They appear to have used several different ones over the years.

LFB have used this type as there are several pictures on the net, 1984 A prefix seem the oldest.

London Fire Brigade Dennis  SS131 from Knightsbridge

Some useful pictures here

http://www.romar.org.uk/page3.html

IIRC The SS had a slightly different cab, only the front part tilted, hence the join behind the little side window they also only had single headlights generally I think. I dug out my fire brigade handbook from the mid 90s and the only appliances LFB had were indeed SS and all.A reg before they switched to Dodge then Volvo.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 37114 said:

London's Burning changed the reg plates on their appliances a few times, the main 2 appliances were the same throughout and dated from circa 1980 but were seen on screen wearing J plates in one series. 

Ahhh sneaky.

Anyway the fire engine is a much more suitable vehicle than the alternatives for the 1980s. It’ll be an interesting conversion you’re going to do for a dustcart.

• 2 weeks later...

In a post on 26 November 2019 on the 3D printing forum M0rris/CMAC Models has said he is getting test prints for the Rover 800 which should make an small impression on the 1980s/90s list of unmade cars.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99217-cmacs-n-gauge-multiple-units-and-sbb-icn/page/9/#comments 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

An early unusual, even ugly looking, SUV although I don't recall seeing many around (in the UK).

What would be nice is some London buses from the end of the last millennium as despite all the ODC ones (which are mostly 50s and 60s steamy era) there nothing for London for the late 70s and 1980s. There are no RTP (or kit) 1:148 Daimler Fleetline DMSs, MCW Metrobuses, Leyland Titan B15s, Leyland Nationals, Leyland Olympians, AEC Merlin/Swift Red Arrows or even a decent AEC Routemaster - the ODC version is now dated, inaccurate and rather clunky and isn’t available in the common RML version. However, I've noticed your project to make one from two ODC Routemasters. A brave and adventurous project and one I will follow with interest.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to go off at a tangent and back to the 1940s/1950s. I have just received some N 1/148 and 1/144 prints of vehicles based on the Austin K2. The basis here is the K2 ATV used by the wartime Auxiliary Fire Service (AFS), National Fire Service, post-1948 Fire Brigades, and Civil Defence/post WW2 AFS. The canteen van was also used by the National Fire Service and the WRVS.

Other scales are available on Shapeways.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/visser3d

The N models are linked here:-

Plain Van (ex ATV)

https://www.shapeways.com/product/TQBF8J9JS/austin-belle-1-in-148?optionId=139343277&li=ostatus

Bus ex ATV. Kent County Council had some similar ambulance conversions.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/79KNQ2LGQ/austin-belle-2-148?optionId=139343625&li=ostatus

Fire services ATV. Usually towed trailer pumps, but post war some were fitted with pumps. My local station at Dover used one as a Salvage Tender without a pump.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/CLTHQEDND/austin-fire-scale-148?optionId=139344118&li=ostatus

Welfare canteen van - the young Princess Elizabeth is reputed to have served refreshments from one of these.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/MZJY87KAL/nbsp-austin-canteen-scale-1-144?optionId=65315721&li=ostatus

D886172F-DC21-4CF4-AFBF-193D30CF60A4.jpeg

C8768DA1-8E9B-4BB9-BD16-A277A997E978.jpeg

366195BA-8FF7-4AC5-B9C9-9A20DDB545A2.jpeg

F5AD3788-3395-4E52-AF44-005A1BDF1F2E.jpeg

172AF24F-A8A4-4B72-B7E2-F1C4626FD495.jpeg

15DFB964-7071-4B1B-BA32-EC2C7F3ABFC8.jpeg

C3C8140A-9382-4333-9050-FD514912DA33.jpeg

A69E2A95-18FD-4DF0-B2FF-E8D704D8AD5C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/12/2019 at 18:04, acg5324 said:

I’d second the more modern bus.

Less than 60000 Ranchos built between 1977-85. 

Haha.  One of those 60 000 lived about two miles away from me and was owned by a Bescot driver, whose wife showed poodles !!!

• 5 weeks later...

I recently got some of the RailNScale cars in 1:160 from DM Toys (for a continental N side-project) including the SAAB 900. I noticed the instruction sheet PDF suggests making curved windscreens by covering the windscreen aperture with Tamiya masking tape on the OUTSIDE, then applying glazing fluid (Crystal Klear or whatever) from the INSIDE. Once dry, remove the tape, supposedly leaving a nicely shaped but opaque finish, then cover with a very thin extra layer of the glazing fluid over the outside, to make it clear again. 

Has anyone tried this method yet?

8 minutes ago, justin1985 said:

I recently got some of the RailNScale cars in 1:160 from DM Toys (for a continental N side-project) including the SAAB 900. I noticed the instruction sheet PDF suggests making curved windscreens by covering the windscreen aperture with Tamiya masking tape on the OUTSIDE, then applying glazing fluid (Crystal Klear or whatever) from the INSIDE. Once dry, remove the tape, supposedly leaving a nicely shaped but opaque finish, then cover with a very thin extra layer of the glazing fluid over the outside, to make it clear again. 

Has anyone tried this method yet?

I've seen the instructions and considered trying the technique but have not done so to date. I seem to be rather unlucky with liquid glazing: it usually dries with a milky finish and a concave profile (when convex would be preferred).

I generally use thin and rigid, but flexible, clear plastic sheet, cut to shape and gently bent to fit. And glued in place with the merest smidge of super-glue.

• Like 1