3D printed road vehicles

grahame

Interesting, although I wonder why select such a short lived vehicle. The Mk2 version (which I suspect that is) were only made from mid 1962 to 1965. In 1965 they were replaced by the Ford D series which lasted until 1981 when replaced by the Ford Cargo.

Soehaves produce an excellent 3D printed Ford D series and of two variants.

The Bedford TK (1959 - 86) was the main British competitor to all those three Ford models in the light/medium truck weight division and would be a worthy and attractive addition to the N gauge range being common on the roads over a long time.

I have no idea what the production figures for the Trader vs TK are but growing up within a couple of miles of Grahams' 'old village of England'  Thames Traders seemed to be everywhere.  I have no idea of the respective costs but the Trader seemed more likely to be owned by someone running a single truck of their own whilst the TK it seemed was more likely to be part of a fleet.  Later in the early seventies whilst working out at Chobham on the nurseries we had a TK and a D Series.  For the TK you needed an HGV licence but the D series was on fairly small wheels and to save weight carried no spare so could be driven by those of us without the HGV licence. This was the old under three tons unladen rule.

Tony Comber

• RMweb Premium

There is a cast metal Bedford TK available in N scale from Lytchett Manor Models.  It's solid white metal with a choice of back ends and is not too bad with a bit of work but again this and the Ford D series really need a more up to date N scale version.

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

There is a cast metal Bedford TK available in N scale from Lytchett Manor Models.  It's solid white metal with a choice of back ends and is not too bad with a bit of work but again this and the Ford D series really need a more up to date N scale version.

There seems to be some doubt and concern about whether and how you can order things from LMM. Their website appears to no longer list any of the Gem/Fleetline N gauge vehicles but they were always cast white metal, mostly with solid windows from old worn/expired moulds. The Bedford TK could certainly do with an upgrade and made readily available.

On the other hand, IMO, the Soehaves 3D printed Ford D series 1:148 scale trucks are great models with fine details and features like tilting cabs and revolving wheels. I can't see any reason or need for them to require being brought up to modern standards. And they are available on line through Shapeways.

10 hours ago, shipbadger said:

I have no idea what the production figures for the Trader vs TK are

I guess the years in production would give a good indication of comparative manufactured quantities: 7 years for the Trader and 27 years for the TK.

4 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Ah, I didn't know about the Ford D Series being available, I shall take a look, thanks.

They do the two versions: the earlier with round headlights and the later with rectangular ones Here's my models (the beer tanker body is scratch-built) :

DSC_2916.JPG.7a43a2987fb605840d5cfc89cb2550d3.JPG

DSC_6518.JPG.a99387654719143e2a14be6b774458be.JPG

• Like 3

These are OO rather than N, but as 3D printed road vehicles I guess this is best place to put them. Vauxhall Novas from an ebay seller (who also does a 'breadvan' VW Polo), but as my first examples of solid models what is the best way to represent the window glass on these opaque bodies?

Novas.jpg.867c9f3919b5268c0b970af3200b256e.jpg

The intention is to replicate the one my parents had, but that was a 5-door so some modification will be needed. Being solid at least makes that easier as I don't have to cut out and reposition the window pillars.

• Like 1

It's a shame that the designer didn't draw them up and have them printable as open shell bodies so that the windows aren't solid. It seems a retrograde step with the technology used to produce them and they will probably stand out against other vehicles with properly glazed windows. All the N gauge 3D printed vehicles from RailNscale don't have solid windows so it's not necessary. 

I've seen other, usually older models with solid windows, have the windows painted in various colours such as black, grey, blue, etc., and even pencil finish. But I've not seen anything very convincing. However I would suggest coating whatever you finish the windows in with a high gloss varnish to give some sheen and reflections, and contrast to the body colour.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 13:00, quicksilvercoaches said:

These are OO rather than N, but as 3D printed road vehicles I guess this is best place to put them. Vauxhall Novas from an ebay seller (who also does a 'breadvan' VW Polo), but as my first examples of solid models what is the best way to represent the window glass on these opaque bodies?

Novas.jpg.867c9f3919b5268c0b970af3200b256e.jpg

The intention is to replicate the one my parents had, but that was a 5-door so some modification will be needed. Being solid at least makes that easier as I don't have to cut out and reposition the window pillars.

These look rather good..

I'd been looking at these as well, one way around the solid windows would be to fit transfers. I had some success doing that with the side and rear windows on my Matchbox transits - just a case of finding images from suitable angles (these were done before the resin-cast bodies).

57453719_10102257257377158_4463430778230931456_o.jpg.2caf56b7c3a7537ad7a9a79a018cea52.jpg57511444_10102257342531508_92997870298333184_n.jpg.84f72f65a2518daccbdf5d0f138f0877.jpg58441704_10102257257082748_7834819679972491264_o.jpg.452eac2530dbdcd55f852bb45d44e3c3.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ragtag said:

I'd been looking at these as well, one way around the solid windows would be to fit transfers. I had some success doing that with the side and rear windows on my Matchbox transits - just a case of finding images from suitable angles (these were done before the resin-cast bodies).

That's an innovative solution.

A quick google gives this link which could be useful for window transfers, although the angle is a little low: https://www.pistonheads.com/news/spotted-ykywt/vauxhall-nova-sr-spotted/38220 

These might be usable too: https://www.carsnitch.co.uk/used-cars/vauxhall/nova/used-vauxhall-nova-12-merit-5d-55-middlesbrough-5464432.html

Some unfortunate lighting but these may work for the Polo as well: https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C907016 and https://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=184444&country=uk

Edited by Ragtag

Excellent - and a 76-86 version. I'll have to get one or two of those.

"The characteristic Citroën BX is a departure from the classic Citroën styling. The BX however still remain futuristic and proved to be successful in many countries. Between 1982 and 1994 well over 2 million cars were produced. The shown model is a replica of the initial version (1976-1986) and comprises a miniature figure. Model is delivered unpainted. More information and building instructions in English at railnscale.com"

Text copied from Shapeways/RailNscale site. Not sure what they mean by initial (earlier?) version. Wikipedia says 82 but that is fine.

Edited by grahame

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/03/2020 at 11:06, acg5324 said:

Just had an email from RailNscale......new car in 1/148. Citroen BX.

https://railnscale.com/2020/03/28/citroen-bx/

I ordered a couple through Shapeways and they've arrived. Unfortunately one has been supplied with the wrong chassis - far too small and doesn't fit. I've emailed Shapeways about the problem and now waiting to see what they say.

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, grahame said:

I ordered a couple through Shapeways and they've arrived. Unfortunately one has been supplied with the wrong chassis - far too small and doesn't fit. I've emailed Shapeways about the problem and now waiting to see what they say.

I was going to ask you today if your order had arrived....spooky.

Might make up an order myself if deliveries are still coming through.