3D printed road vehicles

grahame

34 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

I was going to ask you today if your order had arrived....spooky.

Even more spooky was that it arrived with a parcel from MRD (in Bristol) in the same van and courier company. Both orders were placed on different days and from different suppliers in different countries. How did they manage to deliver them together?

Probably luck.

• Funny 1

On 28/03/2020 at 16:22, BernardTPM said:

The BX was introduced in 1982. The equivalent in 1976 would be the GS (originally dating from 1970).

Not sure how many follow his exploits but Youtuber Ian aka "hubnut" has recently acquired a GSA.  He unveiled it at Aberystwyth station and the video included some Vale of Rheidol footage. 

• Like 1

On 09/04/2020 at 19:12, grahame said:

Even more spooky was that it arrived with a parcel from MRD (in Bristol) in the same van and courier company. Both orders were placed on different days and from different suppliers in different countries. How did they manage to deliver them together?

Probably luck.

They would have come from the same final courier delivery hub but purely coincedence they arrived at the hub on the same day. 

Here's the RailNscale Citroen BX from Shapeways. Just cleaned with cream cleaner and an old toothbrush and given a wafting of Halford grey primer. They're printed in the XSFDP material (smoothest fine detail and most expensive) but they will still require a little cleaning up.

DSC_9503.JPG.e36fcfb69f161167279dda39247b2ebc.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've rubbed down as best I can and now got some basic body colour on the two BXs (slow progress I know). I've now the tricky business of picking out the contrast colour details and then glazing. The tuppenny bit is to give an idea of the cars tiny size:

DSC_9590.JPG.714201f9f7c7383c05b2153daa2f6328.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I have been having a discussion with Jens at Rapidpro/Madaboutcars on the Shapeways message board. He has agreed to make some of his 2018 Ford Transits available in right hand drive format for 1/148 scale. There are 4 variants initially so anyone wanting an up-to-the-minute Transit should find something to like in the range:- van body, bus body, part window van body, and an ambulance. I have ordered some and will share images when they arrive.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=1%2F148+2018+ford+transit

In 1/160 scale there are 23 variants, and Jens will rescale these and make them right hand drive on request. There are lots of possible combinations:-

Low/raised/medium/high roofs;

standard or extended length;

Single or dual rear wheels;

Van body/part window van body/full window bus body/ambulance

They are based on the US versions I think but most of the variants are available in the UK, and the ambulance with light bars included could suit other emergency services/recovery services like AA, RAC and Green Flag.etc, and utilities.

Studying the model images on the Shapeways site and using the 3D button to rotate should help identify the differences between models. Rotate does not work on all devices. The models come as a two piece kit with open windows and a separate interior chassis which needs to be cut from the main body moulding. The images have a 4x4 look about them because the chassis is attached and offset from the bottom of the body. There is also a first-generation Transit Connect in 1/148 as left or right hand drive, although this is an older design and has solid windows.

Probably need to suggest a crew cab and tipper to him!

2018 Transit ambulance.JPG

2018 Transit bus.JPG

2018 Transit semi van.JPG

2018 Transit van.JPG

Edited by Mike Harvey
Corrected range options

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Started to catch up with a backlog of 3D printed vehicles today. The only one near enough finished is the Reliant Rialto. This is a solid ‘clear’ model. I used Tamiya masking tape to mask off the windows before getting sprayed blue. Indicators, lights etc are touched in with Uni paint paints. My Dad only had a motorbike license so our family car was a series of Bond and Reliant three wheelers. This included a ‘pimped’ Supervan III which he bought from a colleague at the Brighton Hove and District bus company. It had side windows and rear seats in the van area. All seats were trimmed in bus moquette and the window winders were bus destination blind handles!

BCB6E048-CC13-48F5-9552-6224AF6B9745.jpeg

B06A5921-38AE-4E2B-B079-7377AFBA2880.jpeg

F872AA49-EDB4-4FDB-B9BE-6626BFAFDBBB.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

10 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Its from Shapeways Grahame

http://shpws.me/Mca9

I see it is nearly £15 now, don’t think I paid half that!

I think the Shapeways pricing is, or was, all bu99ered up. Something to do with incorrect currency conversion rates apparently. Hopefully it'll be sorted out.

Is the 3 wheeler hollow or solid? It looks solid on the shapeways site pic but your photos makes it look like it has windows fitted although they're not completely clear - perhaps a thin layer of 3D material? If so could it be cut out to make painting easier and to glaze properly?

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, grahame said:

I think the Shapeways pricing is, or was, all bu99ered up. Something to do with incorrect currency conversion rates apparently. Hopefully it'll be sorted out.

Is the 3 wheeler hollow or solid? It looks solid on the shapeways site pic but your photos makes it look like it has windows fitted although they're not completely clear - perhaps a thin layer of 3D material? If so could it be cut out to make painting easier and to glaze properly?

It’s completely solid. I don’t know what white lines on the top of the windows is, it wouldn’t clean off. I’m going to try some varnish on it. If not it looks a bit like those draft deflectors that were popular back in the day.

• RMweb Gold
On 01/08/2020 at 17:51, acg5324 said:

Started to catch up with a backlog of 3D printed vehicles today. The only one near enough finished is the Reliant Rialto. This is a solid ‘clear’ model. I used Tamiya masking tape to mask off the windows before getting sprayed blue. Indicators, lights etc are touched in with Uni paint paints. My Dad only had a motorbike license so our family car was a series of Bond and Reliant three wheelers. This included a ‘pimped’ Supervan III which he bought from a colleague at the Brighton Hove and District bus company. It had side windows and rear seats in the van area. All seats were trimmed in bus moquette and the window winders were bus destination blind handles!

BCB6E048-CC13-48F5-9552-6224AF6B9745.jpeg

B06A5921-38AE-4E2B-B079-7377AFBA2880.jpeg

F872AA49-EDB4-4FDB-B9BE-6626BFAFDBBB.jpeg

I remember we had a 3door Range Rover in 'Desert Sand', the interior was all plastic including the seats in a matching sandy colour. Apparently the plastic interior was so you could hose it clean:wacko::o. No power steering either, you needed strong arms back then! Also the back sliding windows were steel and of course being a 70s car they rusted after a couple of years.

• Like 2

On 02/08/2020 at 19:28, simonmcp said:

I remember we had a 3door Range Rover in 'Desert Sand', the interior was all plastic including the seats in a matching sandy colour. Apparently the plastic interior was so you could hose it clean:wacko::o. No power steering either, you needed strong arms back then! Also the back sliding windows were steel and of course being a 70s car they rusted after a couple of years.

It must have been an early one if it had the hose out interior, it would  e worth a fair bit now.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

Love seeing the goings on in this thread. I wondered however if anyone here knows of anyone who undertakes CAD commissions for vehicles? I have a personal vehicle project i would like to undertake and have access through our small business to different printers etc for production. However all my CAD guys don't like doing vehicles. Can anyone recommend or point me in the direction of anyone?

Many thanks

Andy H

This designer has a track record in producing buses and fire engines.

https://3dprintingcorner.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR0dbTXTbkSqG4dKMUT2B2EFW1aacUB3_Og-v4pLc7KZumplrhc98gaQ1oI

Photos of some of the commissioned vehicles are on this Facebook page. Select photos and scroll down.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/3Dprintingcorner/photos/?ref=page_internal

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I wonder which Scania model that it'll be.

In a way, for me, it's a bit of a shame they're choosing a Scania truck. It'll probably be too modern for my target period, and there are already Scania trucks available in N; a 300 series from Jetflame, some rather nice 141 types as 3D prints through Shapeways and RTP ones from ODC. Plus it's easy enough to knock up a 8x4 type body or bash one from the plethora of Japanese N trucks available.

I'd have thought that something like a Bedford TK cabbed truck which spanned a long period would have been a better choice.

Edited by grahame
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, grahame said:

Interesting. I wonder which Scania model that it'll be.

In a way, for me, it's a bit of a shame they're choosing a Scania truck. It'll probably be too modern for my target period, and there are already Scania trucks available in N; a 300 series from Jetflame, some rather nice 141 types as 3D prints through Shapeways and RTP ones from ODC. Plus it's easy enough to knock up a 8x4 type body or bash one from the plethora of Japanese N trucks available.

I'd have thought that something like a Bedford TK cabbed truck which spanned a long period would have been a better choice.

It is one of the bang up to date versions Grahame

5 minutes ago, 37114 said:

It is one of the bang up to date versions Grahame

Damn, thought it might be. But is that the one that ODC already do as RTP:

DSC_0026.JPG.2c15b4537cfcc8708fd8f17c6879e966.JPG

And what with the other Scania types available in N (below), it seems we're being swamped by them when traditional British truck manufactures don't get much of a look in. Let's have some Leyland, Fords and Bedfords although it's ordinary private saloon and hatchback cars that are most missing in N.

DSC_0025.JPG.46c7d0e29ee2a7e9145a7876e71364fb.JPG

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, grahame said:

Damn, thought it might be. But is that the one that ODC already do as RTP:

DSC_0026.JPG.2c15b4537cfcc8708fd8f17c6879e966.JPG

Actually it's the next cab on from the ODC one. The easiest recognition point is the shape of the small window or panel behind the cab door. The rear of it has an extra kink to the back edge, making it slightly arrow shaped.

ODC version

Latest version

I agree,  a decent Bedford TK would be good though.

• Informative/Useful 1