3D printed road vehicles

grahame

13 hours ago, javlinfaw7 said:

New picture of current development of Osborns TK  in N gauge forum.

1063-250421210944.jpeg.jpg

Apparently the pic is a phone snap by Maurice (of Osborns) also posted on the N Gauge IO group forum in response to my thread about the TK.

21 minutes ago, Trewisin said:

Hi all looked at Osborns webb site yesterday and its in their new projects box .The TK will no doubt bring a few additions to our

vehicle selection for 70- 80's era .Hope they will do other variants beside the tanker. Ray.

Yes, the TK is a very welcome commercial vehicle model in N gauge. It was introduced in 1960 and manufactured up until 1986 with a military version from AWD until 1992 which gives it a long period on UK roads including the steam era, transition period and still in use in the modern era:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford_TK

I'm sure Osborns will produce it with a couple of body option choices, but I'll probably be looking to bash the models and build various other versions such as this short wheelbase removals van. The body should be easy to make from plasticard:

Rd3e6814cccfea1070a7900d0b41f2cc8.png.042cc87b6bf5edf330419735437c9d5c.png

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, grahame said:

Apparently the pic is a phone snap by Maurice (of Osborns) also posted on the N Gauge IO group forum in response to my thread about the TK.

Yes, the TK is a very welcome commercial vehicle model in N gauge. It was introduced in 1960 and manufactured up until 1986 with a military version from AWD until 1992 which gives it a long period on UK roads including the steam era, transition period and still in use in the modern era:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford_TK

I'm sure Osborns will produce it with a couple of body option choices, but I'll probably be looking to bash the models and build various other versions such as this short wheelbase removals van. The body should be easy to make from plasticard:

Rd3e6814cccfea1070a7900d0b41f2cc8.png.042cc87b6bf5edf330419735437c9d5c.png

Wikipedia isn't quite accurate, the TK was superseded by the TL in 1980 which was a face-lifted TK, the AWD variant was a rebadged TL. Most TKs left on the road after 1990 were horseboxes, removal vans or Scaffolding lorries.

9 hours ago, Trewisin said:

Hi Tricky-CRS. well done you eventuallly got there any idea as to when you may put them on the market and any idea as to what the price may be ?  They  look great . Ray.

Hopefully some news early autumn, I have a few more ideas to work through first.

4 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

The TL was more than a facelift of the TK. For a start the cab was entirely new and tilted. For commercial sales the TK was listed alongside the TL until 1984. The 4x4 M (like the military MK) lasted longer.

I have bought a great TL and TK catalogue was looking at both the TL and TK not sure now backburner for now.

Hi all I think we have got the ball rolling .I could not see why Oxford Die Cast did'nt do the Tk as they have already done it in 1/76.

As with many things it should have been easy to scale up or down in this case once you have the details.

I also have on my  ownwish list.   A larg  1970/80 's Scammell Crusader or Trunker ,Tug unit . 

Also a David Brown Aircraft Tractor (RAF) style  1940 - onwards . (Some of these were converted to yard shunters.)

Look  forward to your comments regards.Ray  

17 hours ago, Tricky-CRS said:

I have bought a great TL and TK catalogue was looking at both the TL and TK not sure now backburner for now.

Having tackled the Leyland Sherpa you might want to consider two other Leyland commercial vehicles: the Terrier G-series truck (1970s):

Leyland_Terrier_truck.jpg.2e4b3ae3a5fd13ce2e062c45d216fd28.jpg

And the EA van:

USDuMXjM.jpg.7b02c9f287a1abf38931aa7244142556.jpg

14142875177_e86d5e1ab5.jpg.4fe1e76c4499d2572e3ab47aa1ff7ade.jpg

I don't think either are produced/available in N gauge.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Crikey, that EA van isn't a looker, is it?!

Distinctive. I believe even Leyland referred to it as their box on wheels.

But I recall them being fairly commonplace, particularly as PO vans at stations before the Sherpa became favoured in London, allegedly as their narrow width suited narrow London streets for collecting from post boxes.

Now the Austin Morris LD van is truly an ugly vehicle and makes the EA looks like a Miss World contestant. And it's rather too dated for anything post steam era. However, Osborn's produce a 3D printed version finished in a number of liveries.

I thought Alec Issigonis had a hand in the design of the 350 EA.  The dash certainly has a look of the 1100 about it and the maximum utilisation of space would accord with his principles.  I always thought they look purposeful but don't go by my tastes, my dream vehicle for personal use at that time was a J4 van!  Until a year or so ago there was one just down the road from me.  Not sure if it was propping up the barn or vice versa.  The barn is now three apartments and the van has gone.

Tony Comber

Edited by shipbadger
Spelling correction

HI all, just watched Vintage Transport Run Llandudno 5 May 2019 on U-TUBE.

I think the link is YOUTUBE.com/watch?V=bV4VR7G-MJI  .It Lasts about 30 minutes well worth a look,

various lorries,vans trucks cars,tractors, coaches, and  motor cycles the lot . 1960's  through to modern 2020.

Low and behold Grahame there are some nice shots of your latest topics Ford D400 series also Bedford TK's.

Pl.us vall the big rigs.Regards Ray.

Edited by Trewisin

On 30/04/2021 at 14:33, shipbadger said:

I thought Alec Issigonis had a hand in the design of the 350 EA.  The dash certainly has a look of the 1100 about it and the maximum utilisation of space would accord with his principles.  I always thought they look purposeful but don't go by my tastes, my dream vehicle for personal use at that time was a J4 van!  Until a year or so ago there was one just down the road from me.  Not sure if it was propping up the barn or vice versa.  The barn is now three apartments and the van has gone.

Tony Comber

My recollection was that Ogle Design was responsible for the styling of the EA van (as well as the Allegro and T-45 Roadtrain), and that the use of existing parts was just a cost-saving exercise.

• RMweb Premium
On 06/03/2021 at 10:15, m0rris said:

I am working on a number of 70s-90s cars at the moment, closest to completion are Series 1 Allegro 4 door, Triumph 2000 Mk2 and Mk1 Marina (unfortunately... some duplication but it is too far down the road to give up on), next up is the Maxi/Landcrab but the Granada was on the longer term list and if the others are a success I'll give it a crack in Consul and Mk2 form.

Looks like The Sweeny are on the way!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/WT93B5C65/ford-granada-mk1-1-148?optionId=205570783&li=shops

• Like 2

4 hours ago, acg5324 said:

...and another new vehicle from Redandy on eBay. Mk2 Ford Cortina.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164843598078

Looks more like a Corsair with a Cortina grille, unfortunately. Quite a few poblems there; no slight 'kick-up' on the rear door for starters. A shame as it's such a useful late '60s - early '70s type.

Edited by BernardTPM

15 hours ago, acg5324 said:

That's very welcome and I haven't had any breakfast.

The big drawback is having to order from the EU and pay exorbitant postage charges. Oh well, I'll have to chance it.

Blimey. Just checked and they want over £17 for shipping.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 1

If you are after 70s motors, it might be worth your while to wait.... I am hoping to have the first "wave" of cars to complement the Granada completed this fortnight, there's plenty more to come to spread the cost of the postage.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2