3D printed road vehicles

grahame

22 minutes ago, Tricky-CRS said:

Those are nice wheels where are there from, are they off a diecast or a range of parts?

They're Tomytec (or a similar Japanese manufacturer) from some unsuitable RTP vehicles that I've dismantled as spare parts.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Trewisin said:

Hi all thats a very interesting link you found Berard on the TK. Nicw one Richard your families are growing,what are you going to use for windows? Nice link on the Kent fire brigade Mike shame Days had to be OO scale models .Still with Richards imput we now have N scale versions. Regards Ray.

To accompany the Husky, you might have spotted the Commer K1 fire engine in Richards whole range line up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, grahame said:

They're quite a bit smaller than the 3D printed ones on the other TK models, so they might be a tad too small but I've nothing inbetween, and having looked through many on-line pics there are definitely different sized wheels on various TK trucks.

I'd say they look perfect for the smaller wheels fitted to the 7.5 tonners, like the one you're modelling. Should look the part alongside some others with larger wheels

Jo

• Thanks 1

A few more test prints completed today.

1950s Hillman Minx Convertible (windscreen will be clear on final version)
1980s Ford Cargo Tipper (needs modification)
Horse drawn 2 wheel delivery van (needs modifications)
Horse drawn Milk Float, will come with milkman walking and sat driving (needs modifications)

TestPrint-June13th2021-01.jpg

TestPrint-June13th2021-02.jpg

TestPrint-June13th2021-03.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, grahame said:

Still just a little proving modelling - nothing is firm or fixed but it's looking like it'll come together nicely:

DSC01905red.jpg.49c4c4e1ad5b405fc48e53c2ffada97d.jpg

Looking good. As an observation, lighter- weight TKs with the 16-inch wheel had a deeper valance under the front mudguard/wheelarch to fill in the gap left by the smaller diameter wheels.

• Agree 1

Just a thought Richard could you not print the body on the coupe on its own and do the windscreen in clear to added later.

As I thought crystal clear is the obvious answer to doing windscreens but didnt Bernard mention plastic bottles for doing curved 

windows. Regards Ray. 

1 hour ago, Trewisin said:

Just a thought Richard could you not print the body on the coupe on its own and do the windscreen in clear to added later.

As I thought crystal clear is the obvious answer to doing windscreens but didnt Bernard mention plastic bottles for doing curved 

windows. Regards Ray. 

The windscreen is separate, as I mentioned it will be clear on production models, at some point I will print a clear one off, just ran out of time on the weekend.

• Agree 1

I've added some relief detail to the body (tail lift to be made and added) but next to tackle is the cab interior:

DSC01912red.jpg.b7de9be5a7fff3a131d5eb270f0d6f51.jpg

Here's how it looks in place with the cab on the chassis. The details need to be filed back a little when the solvent has dried hence next tackling the cab interior as part of the chassis:

DSC01917red.jpg.03fd02a42ea254adfcd5b1034422aeed.jpg

Edited by grahame
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Tail-lift? Apart from emptying dustbins, I also did some time moving furniture (Pickfords and Whites) whilst temping awaiting my A level results, summer '75. We only had a ramp tailgate drop down. And yes, we had a piano one day.

• Agree 2

That 1973 TK box van has a tail lift as there's a video showing all around it. Apparently it was put in to store many years ago and recently was sold for quite a bit having not been used for over 40 years.

I've fitted some cab interior (just seats - so really need to add a steering wheel) to the chassis and given all the parts a dusting of primer. The parts are just plonked in place and not glued as they need painting first.

DSC01918red.jpg.73b8c817339a77d31efed9e337210f96.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

We really could do with a source of etched steering wheels for 2mm scale. Early UK door and wing mirrors would be useful too. Some modern ones are/were available from Germany.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ian Morgan said:

We really could do with a source of etched steering wheels for 2mm scale. Early UK door and wing mirrors would be useful too. Some modern ones are/were available from Germany.

Meantime we will have to go on using modified rolling stock handbrake wheels.

The smallest of these N Brass locomotives ones are 1.9mm diameter.

https://www.nbrasslocos.co.uk/kitimages/fitcoach/n23265wheelhandweb.gif

My first car in the 1950s was retrofitted with 3 inch diameter wing mirrors, so 0.5mm, and a half inch arm between mirror and wing.

Later edit:-

Mirrors from FKS Modeelbau:-

https://www.dm-toys.de/files/produktfotos/FKS/2018/FKS_160-038-02.jpg

Edited by Mike Harvey
Added link

On 13/06/2021 at 11:20, Tricky-CRS said:

Hi Grahame 

Those are nice wheels where are there from, are they off a diecast or a range of parts?

Found some rubber tyred road wheels at DMToys.

Cars       https://www.dm-toys.de/en/product-details/DM-Toys_17600.html

Trucks   https://www.dm-toys.de/en/product-details/DM-Toys_17500.html

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/06/2021 at 18:23, Mike Harvey said:

Found some rubber tyred road wheels at DMToys.

Cars       https://www.dm-toys.de/en/product-details/DM-Toys_17600.html

Trucks   https://www.dm-toys.de/en/product-details/DM-Toys_17500.html

I used the smaller wheels on this trailer.

A9FA4C07-2CA2-4827-ACC9-FC4CB0DE3D87.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

@acg5324 Andy. I had to smile at the fuel price. The price per gallon then is almost the price per litre now.

Yes it’s not far off. I remember moaning when it went over a £1 a litre!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've got some main blocks of colour on the box truck, but there still plenty to do like glazing, decals, number plates, a little weathering, etc, and of course final assembly as the parts are just plonked together:

compred.jpg.b911b165be92ab64ed5423abe6064f5b.jpg

Edited by grahame
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

One issue with the Osborns Bedford TK cab is the rather flat front to it which ought to be more rounded. Consequently it doesn't have the curved wrap-around nature of the real truck's windscreen. I guess they've done that to make it easy to glaze, for their finished models, using flat clear plastic inserts. The challenge will be to add a windscreen that looks more curved, particularly at the side edges.

Edited by grahame

The front of the Cargo should really have a slight curve to it, though below the screen it is more like three curved facets. Not easy to pick up on a photograph unless taken from above. There are a few overhead views on this page. Note how the ribbed panel is rectagular with the front panel having the curve. A little chuckle as further down the page there's a Cargo made by Leyland (well Ashok Leyland).

Edited by BernardTPM

43 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

The front of the Cargo should really have a slight curve to it, though below the screen it is more like three curved facets. Not easy to pick up on a photograph unless taken from above. There are a few overhead views on this page. Note how the ribbed panel is rectagular with the front panel having the curve. A little chuckle as further down the page there's a Cargo made by Leyland (well Ashok Leyland).

Hi Bernard, Afraid you have lost me here.

The red line on the first attached picture is on the model as a facetted curve.

I think we have the general profile of the second picture as well. 

So am I missing a curve left to right across the front, which is not visible on the pictures. I am keen to get this correct now, while the design is still working on this project.

RMWEB-Question2.jpg

RMWEB-Question1.jpg

TestPrint-20-06-2021-10.jpg

TestPrint-20-06-2021-11.jpg

• Like 1