3D printed road vehicles

grahame

Hi all, I see Osbornes have just releaseed another vehicle in their 3d range under the Arch Laser brand.  This time its an Ford Ivieco cab. Looks quite good another one for the collection . I havnt looked on Osbornes web site yet its been advertised in the latest

BRM Septembers edition. Happy reading all regards Ray.

• Informative/Useful 1

I was not happy with the Commer Fire Engine and the Sherpa Fire Pump so grouped them together with some extra Commer Fire support vehicles. 

The sherpa was a basic size issue of parts so needs printing to see if it all fits together.

1st up is the reworked Fire Engine now version 6

2nd is and escape ladder based on one built for Carlisle.

3rd is a Marine rescue support vehicle, which could be used for police, mine rescue or other uses with modification

4th is a Fire support truck again would lend itself to other roles as well.

I will be test printing these this weekend.

1.JPG

1.JPG

1.JPG

1.JPG

Edited by Tricky-CRS
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

These Commer trucks particularly  the fire engines are very good , do you fancy doing them in OO scale?

This model of Commer truck  ( V Series  and C  Series)  has not been done in small scale by  any of the big companies  AFAIK.

This is surprising as they sold well across all markets and were very common sight in 60's 70's and 80's. They also were marketed with the Dodge badge following Chrysler take over of Rootes

They were particularly popular with local authorities across the UK and could be seen everywhere as  council tippers, bin wagons, road sweepers and gulley emptiers . In municipal applications they often bore the Karrier name.

Councils liked them because of their love of Perkins diesels. 

The Commer cab would look good with your road sweeper body.

Craig

Edited by JCB 3C no.2
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, JCB 3C no.2 said:

These Commer trucks particularly  the fire engines are very good , do you fancy doing them in OO scale?

This model of Commer truck  ( V Series  and C  Series)  has not been done in small scale by  any of the big companies  AFAIK.

This is surprising as they sold well across all markets and were very common sight in 60's 70's and 80's. They also were marketed with the Dodge badge following Chrysler take over of Rootes

They were particularly popular with local authorities across the UK and could be seen everywhere as  council tippers, bin wagons, road sweepers and gulley emptiers . In municipal applications they often bore the Karrier name.

Councils liked them because of their love of Perkins diesels. 

The Commer cab would look good with your road sweeper body.

Craig

Thank you for your feedback, I am focused on N Gauge for the time being, unfortunately its not a case of just scaling up to OO as wall thickness and detail would be wrong. I intend revisiting all cabs overtime with more options once initial batch released. It also comes down to what photos, sales brochures I can find, or actual vehicles to photograph. The Dodge is interesting as it is slightly different so may follow eventually as funds allow.

• Agree 1

QUOTE -

Have a look at the ROAD TRANSPORT IMAGES website - they do a range of Commer and Dodge cabs, including this style, in 1/76 resin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another vehicle from RedAndy…..Vauxhall Viva HC…..two door….hope the 4 door will follow as my first two cars were Mk3 VIvas.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60s-70s-Detailed-N-gauge-3d-Resin-printed-Farina-24-80-Vauxhall-Viva-HC-X2-/165039619003?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Agree 1

Here is the latest project, I have drawn these myself and have been working on them a while. This is the first test print and more options are printing now. Its the 1930s Karrier Bantam. I have done 3 Cabs and 2 headlights (prewar and wartime, need to look at postwar option.) These lasted well into the 1960s in some locations and I know one is being restored in Yorkshire. All parts need additional CAD work.

30sKBantum-TP1-01.jpg

30sKBantum-TP1-02.jpg

30sKBantum-TP1-03.jpg

30sKBantum-TP1-04.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Those Karriers look very interesting. When I was a boy our local district council went on using one of these long after the next generation of Dennisses had come and gone from doing the dustbin rounds. The Karrier was sent out regularly to empty bins missed by the main crews, or to clear up when some had been "spilled on the step" accidentally. :mellow:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have printed and base coated the bulk of the range and built a display for TINGs on Sunday. The display (none on sale) will be on DCC Supplies stand as early as I can get in. I realised I missed 2 off the Commer V Range and Ford Cargo Tractor units on their own but their are on their with trailers. I also forgot to take a pictures before packing away, as I am off to Statfold Railway tomorrow on my way down, for Road, Rail and Ale Festival. Some of the range will hopefully be on the DEMU stand all weekend at TINGS as well.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Hi Richard. good luck at TINGS , I think that their should be a lot of interest in your prinhted vehicles .Look forward to the day you put them on the maket. Regards Ray.

Ps Osbornes have just released a horse drawn dray (not cheap ready to plant and painted).

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Trewisin said:

Hi Richard. good luck at TINGS , I think that their should be a lot of interest in your prinhted vehicles .Look forward to the day you put them on the maket. Regards Ray.

Ps Osbornes have just released a horse drawn dray (not cheap ready to plant and painted).

I know about the Osborne's dray but had already invested time and money in to it and decided to carry on

• Agree 1

On 12/09/2021 at 17:30, Tricky-CRS said:

Here's a pic of the models on display today, thanks for all the positive feedback.

IMG_20210912_100704MP.jpg

Good luck with the range. 

I can't quite read the sign in the pic.

When will they be available? And how will they be sold?

13 hours ago, grahame said:

Good luck with the range. 

I can't quite read the sign in the pic.

When will they be available? And how will they be sold?

Available in next few months with a bit of luck, just trying to sort out production. They will be sold through DCC Supplies, as kits a few details still to be confirmed.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Slightly OT but can anyone please help or advise me on how I can draw the cab of this Bedford RL to make a decent print? 

mjLw1OQ.png

section of Mick Bell plan

I have drawn a few vehicles in CAD and been able to 3D print them to N gauge without a problem; however, I am finding that the shape of this cab is currently beyond my skills in Fusion 360.

I would be grateful to hear of any practical advice on how to draw the cab in Fusion 360 in order that I can make a print.  I've tried Loft, Filter and Chamfer but the curves just don't follow the sketches I've drawn and I really would like to know where I am going wrong with this.

cheers,
Mike

Edited by Royal42