3D printed road vehicles

grahame

• 2 weeks later...

RailNscale have announced that DMToys will be printing, stocking and distributing certain of their 1:160 scale products. It is not clear yet whether this is a reaction to the Shapeways price hike resulting from their changed pricing algorithm.

DMToys link:- https://www.en.dm-toys.de/liste/hersteller/RAILNSCALE.html

Announcement in French from the French Forum du N:- http://le-forum-du-n.forumotions.net/t30706-railnscale-made-by-dm-toys

Edited by mikeharvey22

RailNscale have announced that DMToys will be printing, stocking and distributing certain of their 1:160 scale products. It is not clear yet whether this is a reaction to the Shapeways price hike resulting from their changed pricing algorithm.

Interesting. It probably is in reaction to Shapeways price increase (they seem to have recently raised prices and apparently will do so again with their new pricing schedule in the new year) but also for RainNscale to increase exposure and marketing opportunities. However I've not seen any 1:148 scale models on the DM Toys site and it's difficult to ascertain if the prices are any cheaper.

I've ordered a Renualt 5 and Caterham 7 in 1:148 from Shapeways (before their next price hike) but noticed the Caterham 7 is left hand drive rather than right (as in the Prisoner). I hope it's easy to adapt by chopping out the figure and steering wheel. It might prove a little tricky.

G

The cars arrived yesterday. After a quick scrub with cream cleaner and a blast with grey primer this is how they look:

post-33-0-33025600-1542708638_thumb.jpg

Nice to see that the figure in the Caterham 7 is sitting on the British side (although the website pic showed left hand drive for 1:148 https://railnscale.com/2018/11/10/lotus-seven-2/#jp-carousel-15816).And with just a flat windscreen to add it will be easier to glaze than other cars.

G.

• Like 5

Ah, I remember KAR 120C. But then I would, wouldn't I?

Think I'll finish my model as KAR 120C.

In the programme intro it appears to be black with a yellow nose (although most other examples are green and yellow). Any comment/confirmation?

G.

Colour rendition is always a problem. Lighting conditions, differing eyes, recording media all affect how we see things. The original black and white Z cars series used pale yellow cars so they would look white on screen. I remember seeing a demo at Granada Studios where the cameras struggled to see blue at all.

I think I would go for the dark green on KAR120C.

• RMweb Gold

The cars arrived yesterday. After a quick scrub with cream cleaner and a blast with grey primer this is how they look:

attachicon.gifDSC_7131.JPG

Nice to see that the figure in the Caterham 7 is sitting on the British side (although the website pic showed left hand drive for 1:148 https://railnscale.com/2018/11/10/lotus-seven-2/#jp-carousel-15816).And with just a flat windscreen to add it will be easier to glaze than other cars.

G.

Is that a Renault 5 next to the Caterham?

My old man had a '76 Renult 5 in an awful bright yellow.........I'm convinced he had yellow to encourage me to walk to school, if he did it worked!

Edited by chuffinghell

Think I'll finish my model as KAR 120C.

In the programme intro it appears to be black with a yellow nose (although most other examples are green and yellow). Any comment/confirmation?

G.

Definitely British Racing Green with  yellow nose!

Definitely British Racing Green with  yellow nose!

I'm not so sure. After reading the forums and sites it is clear that several cars from were used. Without doubt the publicity shot stills used a green car but for filming a very dark green (darker than BRG) was used for some episodes. And for the opening sequence the consensus seems to be that that one was black - snag is it was sold, crashed and scrapped meaning the use of a further two cars on loan from Caterham of different colours.

Plus there are a lot of pics on the web of 'replica' fan cars, some green some black, but they are different - plate style, grille, turn indicators, and some even have a roll bar (but not in the Prisoner).

G.

Paint it black but, if anyone asks, say it's a very dark green. I bet they wouldn't be able to tell... :devil:

The best intro is from the first episode 'Arrival', showing more footage than the 'standard' intro used thereafter. Some was in bright sunlight and it still looked black (I thought).

Edited by BernardTPM

Paint it black but, if anyone asks, say it's a very dark green. I bet they wouldn't be able to tell... :devil:

The best intro is from the first episode 'Arrival', showing more footage than the 'standard' intro used thereafter. Some was in bright sunlight and it still looked black (I thought).

Going slightly OT here, i reckon it was a dark green. In some shots in the title sequence the colour of the car looks green in some and black - or darker green, in others to me. Film stock used and processing may have some influence here. I remember a documentary about the prisoner and it said No.6's village jacket was actually a dark brown, it showed up black when the rushes were viewed. Anyway, i'll stop now. Back to 3d printed cars.

Carl

I did post a photo in this thread a while ago and I thought I'd post another now I've painted the vehicles.  The models were printed a while ago but I didn't complete these as I was procrastinating over how to glaze them, they still not glazed but now have been painted and had transfers added.  The Loadall now has a bucket (held on with Blutack in the photo)  This was painted white and then brush pained yellow (Humbrol acrylic warning yellow).

45341928774_efbe1bc7de_k.jpg4mm JCB loadall by simon br blue, on Flickr

46016440252_15cb4432a5_k.jpg4mm JCB loadall by simon br blue, on Flickr

The shunting tractor was printed in Professional plastic (back when it was a trial material HPSF) this was primed in grey and then hand painted in the same Humbrol warning yellow to give a less bright colour.  The transfer are homemade the same as the Loadall, the warning stripes shrunk slightly when applied and don't reach the sides.  The tyres were painted in 2 different rubber colours and looks ok.  The 3rd photo shows the tractor positioned in a common pose behind the Grain wagon purchased at Warley with extra weathering by TMC.

46016443122_7b4555bab9_k.jpg4mm Shunting tractor by simon br blue, on Flickr

44250240120_32da1e1d19_k.jpg4mm Shunting tractor by simon br blue, on Flickr

45341926644_ef9786e62a_k.jpg4mm Shunting tractor by simon br blue, on Flickr

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Shapeways prices for 3D prints are soon to be massively hiked. If you need to order anything, now would be a good time to avoid the increases.

G

A useful tip I have an average of 33% increase across my range, some items are doubling in price! RailNScale are likely to see very large rises unfortunately.

Edited by m0rris

A useful tip I have an average of 33% increase across my range, some items are doubling in price! RailNScale are likely to see very large rises unfortunately.

Thanks, and yes, some of the potential/expected new prices quoted by Shapeways shop proprietors are quite scary.

Consequently I've had another look through the RailNScale N gauge vehicle range bit didn't see anything I currently need. Sods law will be that as soon as the prices rise there'll be a 'must have'.

G